PDA

View Full Version : LION KING finishes ADT

A-Train
11-06-2008, 13:28
Congrats goes out to Lion King for tackling a long trail and documenting many of his adventures across the country.

Gotta give kudos to anyone who can span a thru-hike over 2 calendar years and hike through the winter.

Way to go!

Sly
11-06-2008, 13:32
Nope, sorry, according to the definition a thru-hike supposed to take one year or less. Kludos anyway! ;)

D'Artagnan
11-06-2008, 14:05
Congrats! I've enjoyed the videos along the way.

What's next? (I'm sure he's never heard that one...):D

MOWGLI
11-06-2008, 14:16
Congratulations Dude! You certainly walk the walk!

I'd be curious to hear from you how this adventure stacked up to your other hikes.

Mrs Baggins
11-06-2008, 15:02
Can't wait to see a photo of you dipping the pinkie toe in the Pacific! :)

Gaiter
11-06-2008, 15:07
Congrats!!!!

Phreak
11-06-2008, 15:13
Congratz! :)

stumpknocker
11-06-2008, 15:35
Congratulations Lion King. Are you walking back?? :)

TJ aka Teej
11-06-2008, 15:45
Geez.. how else would he get back? Bicycle?? :D
Congrats LK!

ki0eh
11-06-2008, 15:59
Nope, sorry, according to the definition a thru-hike supposed to take one year or less.

Only for those short trails like the A.T. ;)

We'd love to see you on the http://www.greateasterntrail.org/ - make history as the first thru!

Lion King
11-06-2008, 16:07
Congrats goes out to Lion King for tackling a long trail and documenting many of his adventures across the country.

Gotta give kudos to anyone who can span a thru-hike over 2 calendar years and hike through the winter.

Way to go!

Thanks A!

I want to sleep for a long time, thats all.

Had to do a 30 miler and then a 14 just to finish in time to meet those who meet me at the end...Ken and Marcia, Squirrel Meat, Rik (My editor) and his Dad and John Fazel who gave me a really cool plaque.

In LA right now, having a party mon yana at Cat and Fiddle for any local hikers.

Come on out ya'll

Lost 65 pounds aprox...went from a sexy 312 to a sexier 245.:D

Lets see how long it takes me to gain it all back....

Lion King
11-06-2008, 16:07

Way to go!

Nope, sorry, according to the definition a thru-hike supposed to take one year or less. Kludos anyway! ;)

Well, I idi blue blaze the whole thing...:)

Lion King
11-06-2008, 16:08

Sleep and selling my soul to get some bank back in my pocket as I am BBBRRRROOKKEEEEE!!!!!

but hey, thats cool....

Lion King
11-06-2008, 16:09
Congratulations Dude! You certainly walk the walk!

I'd be curious to hear from you how this adventure stacked up to your other hikes.

The PCT is still my favorite.

Will say more later, but i did enjoy learning about America from first hand experiance and interacting with all sorts of people all over the place.

That was cool.

Lion King
11-06-2008, 16:10
Can't wait to see a photo of you dipping the pinkie toe in the Pacific! :)

Was going to jump in but it was DAMN cold.

I only got a little misty...

Lion King
11-06-2008, 16:11

Nah, I aint as cool as you yet.;)

Lion King
11-06-2008, 16:11
Only for those short trails like the A.T. ;)

We'd love to see you on the http://www.greateasterntrail.org/ - make history as the first thru!

You get me the funds Ill hike it and film it.

Lets go!

ki0eh
11-06-2008, 16:30
You get me the funds Ill hike it and film it.

Lets go!

Paging Mowgli... :D

aaroniguana
11-06-2008, 16:49
Congrats, LK!

Jaybird62
11-06-2008, 17:02
Congrats man!!

Jim Adams
11-06-2008, 17:55
Nice dude!!!!!!

geek

CrumbSnatcher
11-06-2008, 20:04
congratulations LION KING.

fishinfred
11-06-2008, 20:07
Wtg Dude! Cheers

puddingboy
02-04-2009, 19:35
lion king did you go through the iowa section? If you did it would be on alot of bike trails.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-04-2009, 20:14
A georgia bulldog congratulates you

jrwiesz
02-05-2009, 02:56
lion king did you go through the iowa section? If you did it would be on alot of bike trails.

The Northern most point on the ADT. Near Waterloo, Iowa, I think?

http://http://www.msnusers.com/7gu1f7nqj9takh4cl7km72sca0/Documents/Pictures%2FADT%20Northern%20most%20point.jpg http://http://www.msnusers.com/7gu1f7nqj9takh4cl7km72sca0/Documents/Pictures%2FADT%20Northern%20most%20point-2.jpg

mrc237
02-05-2009, 08:24
Well Done!!!!

jrwiesz
02-05-2009, 08:25
The Northern most point on the ADT. Near Waterloo, Iowa, I think?

Try these. Messed up the first attempts to upload.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=31218&catid=member&imageuser=10968

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=31219&catid=member&imageuser=10968

Different Socks
06-23-2010, 02:17

A thru-hike is not defined as doing a trail in one year. A thru-hike is defined as hiking the entire trail w/o significant periods of time off. If you take a winter off just so you can hike in more favorable weather, that is not a thru-hike. If you take a week off (or 2) to heal up some blisters or other injury, then get back on the trail, that would be a thru-hike.

Different Socks
06-23-2010, 02:19

Way to go!

Can you really call it a thru hike for Lion King if he skipped several sections and followed his own route(in other words, he blue blazed)?

Lion King
06-25-2010, 00:49
Can you really call it a thru hike for Lion King if he skipped several sections and followed his own route(in other words, he blue blazed)?

People like you get under my skin.

What did I skip?

Now, for your information, some of the routes I found, due to whatever conditions, including weather, road walks etc...I talked to locals, including Rangers, park service, trail volunteers, etc. and now some of the 'blue blazes' which dont exist on this incomplete trail, are now in use as routes for furture hikers of the ADT.

I found bike paths that run the same routes as some of the road walks, found trails where there were road walks and I walked them.

These routes, along with the change in ST Louis have a lot to do with my walk and work.

Know your facts before you call people out.

mrc237
06-25-2010, 08:20
Hey LK, don't getcha mane all bunched up.
You need not explain to most here.
We gettit!

the goat
06-25-2010, 14:41
A thru-hike is not defined as doing a trail in one year. A thru-hike is defined as hiking the entire trail w/o significant periods of time off. If you take a winter off just so you can hike in more favorable weather, that is not a thru-hike. If you take a week off (or 2) to heal up some blisters or other injury, then get back on the trail, that would be a thru-hike.
pretty sure sly was joking......

how 'bout you go hike the adt and then you can let us all know:rolleyes:

Six-Six
06-25-2010, 15:38
LK is my hero! WTG

Cookerhiker
06-25-2010, 15:44
People like you get under my skin.

What did I skip?

Now, for your information, some of the routes I found, due to whatever conditions, including weather, road walks etc...I talked to locals, including Rangers, park service, trail volunteers, etc. and now some of the 'blue blazes' which dont exist on this incomplete trail, are now in use as routes for furture hikers of the ADT.

I found bike paths that run the same routes as some of the road walks, found trails where there were road walks and I walked them.

These routes, along with the change in ST Louis have a lot to do with my walk and work.

Know your facts before you call people out.

Late congratulations Lion King!

Just today I was browsing Walking With Spring and it's striking how Earl Shaffer went through a similar experience when he thruhiked the AT in '48. Although the Trail was theoretically complete, there were large swaths of missing trail so he did his best to follow the corridor. Much of where he traversed became subsequently relocated.

adventurousmtnlvr
06-25-2010, 19:29
Glad you made it! I enjoyed the videos as well. Great life experiences for sure that no one can take away :) Get some rest (after the party of course lol).

One day I did a short 5 mile walk through the woods after working in my yard and part of the trail was flooded up to my knees and other parts were gone (washed off a cliff) but I just went through the briars and sticker bushes to get around and re-find the trail later (took longer but I did it) .... or did I? .... lol

RedneckRye
06-26-2010, 01:27
As soon as "Diff Sox" has 10% of Lion King's miles, he or she can carry LK's "Dirty Sox".
When she or he eventually has 20% of LK's miles, he she will know enough not to go blowing BS on the internets. Especially about something that is so far out in the future.
Hike WHATEVER AND HOWEVER AND WHERE EVER.
Blah blah blah.
It is just walking, nothing special.
It has all been done before.
Unless it is for some special cause. No, wait....hang on....that has been done before as well.
Enjoy your hike, don't keep us posted.

Different Socks
07-02-2010, 01:00
As soon as "Diff Sox" has 10% of Lion King's miles, he or she can carry LK's "Dirty Sox".
When she or he eventually has 20% of LK's miles, he she will know enough not to go blowing BS on the internets. Especially about something that is so far out in the future.
Hike WHATEVER AND HOWEVER AND WHERE EVER.
Blah blah blah.
It is just walking, nothing special.
It has all been done before.
Unless it is for some special cause. No, wait....hang on....that has been done before as well.
Enjoy your hike, don't keep us posted.

Actually I do have 10% or more of LK's miles(0ver 9500 miles to date) unless of course you are referring only to the ADT.

As for LK's claim to doing what he believes to be the actual trail: I was lead to believe that after several others had already attempted the ADT and some that indeed had done it before LK, that the trail was defined and on the ground, with of course the exception to a few places.
I recall an example in one of LK's entries that he deliberately went off the official route and went out of his way to have a different experince of something that was not directly along the trail. Example of this would be to visit Brasstown Bald north of the AT, while doing the AT, then connect up with the AT further north. This would be considered a large blue blazing, similar to what LK has said he has done in his own journal entries.

I'm just saying, if he knowingly skipped official sections of trail to go his own way that HE thought was a better, wiser choice, AND did it alittle too often, would it still be considered a thru hike of the ADT?
If an AT hiker hiked the trail this way, would he be able to accurately call himself a thru-hiker? Does this kind of thing happen? Yes indeed! When i thru hiked the AT in 1992, there was one hiker whom earned the name "Indigo" for he did as much blue blazing as he could. Having hiked the length of the AT Mtns from GA to ME as little as possible on the AT itself, would the hiking community still acknowledge him as a thru hiker of the AT?

elray
07-02-2010, 07:02
You did the miles! Congratulations Lion King!

Lion King
07-02-2010, 12:32
Actually I do have 10% or more of LK's miles(0ver 9500 miles to date) unless of course you are referring only to the ADT.

As for LK's claim to doing what he believes to be the actual trail: I was lead to believe that after several others had already attempted the ADT and some that indeed had done it before LK, that the trail was defined and on the ground, with of course the exception to a few places.
I recall an example in one of LK's entries that he deliberately went off the official route and went out of his way to have a different experince of something that was not directly along the trail. Example of this would be to visit Brasstown Bald north of the AT, while doing the AT, then connect up with the AT further north. This would be considered a large blue blazing, similar to what LK has said he has done in his own journal entries.

I'm just saying, if he knowingly skipped official sections of trail to go his own way that HE thought was a better, wiser choice, AND did it alittle too often, would it still be considered a thru hike of the ADT?
If an AT hiker hiked the trail this way, would he be able to accurately call himself a thru-hiker? Does this kind of thing happen? Yes indeed! When i thru hiked the AT in 1992, there was one hiker whom earned the name "Indigo" for he did as much blue blazing as he could. Having hiked the length of the AT Mtns from GA to ME as little as possible on the AT itself, would the hiking community still acknowledge him as a thru hiker of the AT?

**** you.

There I said it.

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-02-2010, 12:47
Say LK, did you ever release the final video of that hike? I was at your showing of the rough edit in Damascus for TD '09. I'd like to see the finished work if it is available.

If it is, what's the title so I can look it up?

BL

Lion King
07-02-2010, 12:58
Say LK, did you ever release the final video of that hike? I was at your showing of the rough edit in Damascus for TD '09. I'd like to see the finished work if it is available.

If it is, what's the title so I can look it up?

BL

I have a few copies of the Trail Days 2010 special 2 hour complete edition available. it has the ADT map on it.

If you want to send $20 Gen Deliv to Duncannon PA this week, Ill get you a copy out when I get there on the 7th.

Thanks
LK

TD55
07-02-2010, 13:27
**** you.

There I said it.

You used the wrong punctuation. There should be an exclamation instead of a period. I think you may have spelled **** wrong also. Can't tell for sure cause I can't see it proper.

Different Socks
07-03-2010, 00:05
pretty sure sly was joking......

how 'bout you go hike the adt and then you can let us all know:rolleyes:

Planning to do the ADT in 2 years. Got enough money saved up now, but when I finish I want to stay unemployed.

Mags
07-05-2010, 17:51

Well..since the folks who are nice enough to volunteer with sweat equity to make the ADT a reality think so, I'm gonna say yes! :)

http://www.discoverytrail.org/news/traveler-links.html

Nov. 5, 2008 - Mike Daniel, the "Lion King", finished his hike today! Read his journal at http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com (http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com/). Read his press release Mike Daniels Press Release (http://www.discoverytrail.org/news/mike-daniels.pdf).

I am gonna take their opinion over some guy who is thinking about doing this journey. ;)

The future of trails (and the present for most trails) is a corridor approach. Unless there is no trail at all like the route I did most of this weekend... ;)

Graywolf
07-06-2010, 01:05
Hey LK, You did it dude. Thats all that counts, everything else is irrevelant.

I think I woud have made some of the smae choices. Good work on the videos.

Graywolf

Nean
07-06-2010, 09:54

I recently had this discussion w/ an old whiteblazing friend who thinks if you walk all the way from Ga. to Me. and cover 2172 miles instead of 2175 then you are pretty much a lair and a cheat and therefore disqualified from saying you are a thruhiker.:confused:

Having passed every white blaze on 2 thrus and a few blues on 2 others I can honestly say (w/ experience) thats the thinking of an elitist w/ a huge ego.;) (read: WD types)
There is a difference between yellow and blue- riding and walking. If you think walking this way instead of that way makes you superior, well, I'm sorry about your childhood.:rolleyes:

Where I do draw the line is if you are out to set a speed record and blue blaze, "making history" by cutting off and/or trading trail miles for road miles.:eek:

Tennessee Viking
07-06-2010, 10:01
Which route did you take for the Mid-West? Iowa or Missouri.

sbhikes
07-07-2010, 12:25
You are amazing, Lion King! I wish I could walk as much as you.

theycallmej
07-19-2010, 13:59
Which route did you take for the Mid-West? Iowa or Missouri.

He took both. He made it to where the trail splits and he took the northern route to Denver, then took the southern route, and finally went from Denver west to San Francisco. You can check out episode 1 of his videos on youtube and it will give you an even better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdngYmZavU

I'm a huge Lion King fan-- I have three of his hiking DVD's now and I find him really inspiring. I'm glad to be his friend on facebook and to hear what he's up to. A cool guy and a REAL thru-hiker.

~Pj

Rush2112
08-11-2010, 23:51
I'd love to do something like this sometime. Question for you LK: I've been watching your videos on Youtube and I'm wondering what model that nifty little tent is you have.

Cherokee Bill
09-16-2010, 17:32
:banana Congratz, my friend! You do walk...... the walk! :-? Now, when is the BOOK coming out:dance I want one of the 1st :D

TheTwanger
11-14-2010, 16:58
Lion King is my hero!

mweinstone
11-14-2010, 20:00
the corrolated inverse ratio of fat lost during a hike to its return is directly proportionate to belly button lint migratinon scheduals and their associated picking times and weights.

god help you my lion king.

may the spring lint seasons fiddelheads bloom and die under the same moon.

for he soeverth who b king doth lint spring.

sup?!oxooxoxmatty

samgriffin4
03-16-2011, 16:34
That's so amazing. How much of the ADT is pure roadwalking?

Toolshed
03-16-2011, 17:48
This thread is so old, that for a minute, I thought he did it again!!! :D

Lion King
03-22-2011, 23:35
That's so amazing. How much of the ADT is pure roadwalking?

aprox 2000, but because sometimes youre on old dirt roads and bike paths that are paved, it feels like more.

Especially through Nebraska and Kansasa

Lion King
03-22-2011, 23:37
This thread is so old, that for a minute, I thought he did it again!!! :D

HA! funny:D

Ive hiked about 3000 miles since finishing the ADT, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less...not sure really.

the majority of the AT once with WHAT? and the shennies 2X. a bit in PA three times, 100 or so to trail days twice...now Im in CA and hiking as much as I can.

still not enough

Mrs Baggins
03-23-2011, 06:51
If you've got any more copies of the ADT DVD I'll buy one. Just let me know how much and where to send it.