PDA

View Full Version : First out the gate

traildust
11-07-2008, 00:00
Saw somewhere that last year there was a New Year's Eve party on Springer. Anyone heard if there's a party this year? Also, does anyone know of someone who left in January and at least got to March on the trail? Dovetail and I are contemplating another go at it starting January 1, 2009. At any rate, we want to be on Springer New Year's Eve.

traildust

Lyle
11-07-2008, 01:01
Never been, but my understanding is that the New Year's Eve camp out on Springer is an annual event. Usually has a few folks who are heading north from the party. Hope to make it one of these years, always sounded like a blast.

Hikerhead
11-07-2008, 01:06
The party happens every year. I was there in 2002 (I believe that was the year). Truely froze my a** off. Stumpknocker has started one or more of his hikes Jan 1 from Springer, but he's one tough SOB. :)

Marta
11-07-2008, 07:45
Yes, there will be a party on Springer this year. And yes, there will be at least two people starting their hikes on Jan. 1, 2009. Rocky and Swamp Fox have several TrailJournals. I'm not sure if they've started one for their '09 AT hike.

And yes, Stumpknocker started on Jan. 1, 2008. He FINALLY finished up in Katahdin in October. (He has a very poor sense of direction, and made detours to San Diego, Key West, and the Canadian border along the way.)

kayak karl
11-07-2008, 07:59
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/Springer08.htm
im leaving 12/28 Amtrak to the hiker hostel and starting NOBO 1/1/08. after all the delays this year and my hatred for heat and bugs, it seems like a good time to start.
yous hiking with hammocks?

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 08:01
Saw somewhere that last year there was a New Year's Eve party on Springer. Anyone heard if there's a party this year? Also, does anyone know of someone who left in January and at least got to March on the trail? Dovetail and I are contemplating another go at it starting January 1, 2009. At any rate, we want to be on Springer New Year's Eve.

traildust

yes a big bash will be had. i will be hiking .9 NOBO to my truck. been planning for months now. see you there

traildust
11-07-2008, 12:00
NOT hiking this leg with a hammock. Shelter or tent. When spring hits will switch to hammock unless companion dovetail joins. She likes the tent. Made reservation at hostel for New Years eve. Will see you there.

The Solemates
11-07-2008, 12:22
sorry to miss, but I'll be having a bash in hawaii!!!

Mr. Parkay
11-07-2008, 12:30
I'll probably be there as usual

MOWGLI
11-07-2008, 12:40
im leaving 12/28 Amtrak to the hiker hostel and starting NOBO 1/1/08. after all the delays this year and my hatred for heat and bugs, it seems like a good time to start.

Good luck with the black flies in New England. :eek:

Blissful
11-07-2008, 12:58
Yeah, we'll be bashing in the WHites this year believe it or not - my hubby wants to go skiing and I have to research a novel.

Chenango
11-07-2008, 12:58
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/Springer08.htm
yous hiking with hammocks?

1/1/09 I hope!

Blissful
11-07-2008, 12:59
Good luck with the black flies in New England. :eek:

Forget that, good luck with the cold and snow this year. I heard it may be a good year for snow in the mid Atlantic, but time will tell.

Skidsteer
11-07-2008, 20:16
Yeah, we'll be bashing in the WHites this year believe it or not - my hubby wants to go skiing and I have to research a novel.

Tax deductible. Sweet!

Bulldawg
11-07-2008, 21:12
yes a big bash will be had. i will be hiking .9 NOBO to my truck. been planning for months now. see you there

Nice! If I make it this year can I join your hiking party? I also have been planning on making the .9 mile hike back to my truck for months myself. I hope I have picked all the correct gear.

No Belay
11-07-2008, 22:48
Don't forget your cell phone, GPS, ELT transmitter, and to make reservations at the shelter.

Bulldawg
11-07-2008, 23:01
Don't forget your cell phone, GPS, ELT transmitter, and to make reservations at the shelter.

My cell phone does work on Springer, but not at the shelter, only at the summit!

Tin Man
11-07-2008, 23:11
I will get on the AT on Hoyt Rd., look south and wave at y'all.

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2008, 15:09
I certainly wish folks well, regardless of when they start their hikes, but I think it's important to remember that folks starting at Springer in early January will, in all likelihood, be finishing their trips in late June or early July.

This is a really lousy time to be hiking in Maine.

But if you wanna be real cold at the outset, not see anything green for a couple of months, and look forward to getting eaten by bugs at the finish, by all means have at it.

Bulldawg
11-08-2008, 19:40
I think that my hike at Springer starting on Springer on New Years Day is gonna wrap up just about 30 minutes later, unless I make a BMT loop out of it maybe, then I plan on being done later in the day.

kayak karl
11-08-2008, 20:18
I certainly wish folks well, regardless of when they start their hikes, but I think it's important to remember that folks starting at Springer in early January will, in all likelihood, be finishing their trips in late June or early July.

This is a really lousy time to be hiking in Maine.

But if you wanna be real cold at the outset, not see anything green for a couple of months, and look forward to getting eaten by bugs at the finish, by all means have at it.
dont SOBO's deal with the same bug problems in Maine?
Oh, you forgot lonely, maybe not seeing people for days, not having to talk or answer questions, nobody to be polite to. definitely a down side:D

traildust
11-09-2008, 13:31
appreciate those words of encouragment jake. there is great beauty in the forest during all times of the year. of course the odds of finishing when you start in january are probably worse than if you start in March or April but then again given global warming, we might have sunny weather in january and snows in march. just never know on the trail from day to day and that is the challenge, to be prepared for the unexpected.

for those heading out in jan, lets do it for jack.

traildust

FatMan
11-09-2008, 14:06
I plan on being on Springer on New Years and if the weather is decent I plan to hike home to Grassy Gap. Otherwise I will cut the hike down to .9 miles and drive the rest.:rolleyes:

For those of you who would like to get some hiking in, if you hike to Grassy Gap (between Gooch and Woody) I will be happy to shuttle you back down USFS 42 to the Springer parking area.

Bulldawg
11-09-2008, 14:13
FatMan is pretty cool guys; met us with some adult refreshment at Wildcat Gap on the DRT/CBT one day, very cool.

Marta
11-09-2008, 20:22
I'm planning to be on Springer for New Year's, then hike up to Neel's Gap by Sunday. I need to make car/shuttle arrangements... If anyone can help me out with this, please PM me.