PDA

View Full Version : Looking to hike from Art Loeb to Mt Mitchell

Earl Grey
11-07-2008, 01:05
So I want to do this next month, itll be cooooooold being above 6000 feet in late December but oh well thats when I have off. So I cant find anything about the trail really but I want to do this section. Does anyone know where I can find a guidebook ala somethin like the AT companion or does that not exist yet?

Reid
11-07-2008, 01:15
The only trail I know of from there is called the blue ridge parkway. Maybe the NC mountains to sea trail would be the one your looking for but that only intersects Art Loeb. I don't really see a trail from point A to B that includes the Art Loeb in it's entirety. Let me know if you find anything out.

Reid
11-07-2008, 01:18
Ok, you had this posted in the mountains to sea trail forum. I just saw your thread from the main page and went straight to it. I would be intrested to hear how this goes though. Take care!

Phreak
11-07-2008, 08:24
I can help ya out with the info you need. I'm headed up to N GA for the weekend, so it'll be Monday before I can get you the info. I'll PM ya then.

OldStormcrow
11-07-2008, 14:30
I've been considering spending several nights on Mitchell in the dead of winter (perhaps this January), myself. I got a really good map of it (National Geographic), but don't know of any guidebooks. The best route up there that I have seen is the one coming south out of Burnsville and hiking south toward Big Tom and Mt. Craig.

Wilson
11-07-2008, 14:52
I can help ya out with the info you need. I'm headed up to N GA for the weekend, so it'll be Monday before I can get you the info. I'll PM ya then.
Respectfully, Why PM? I'm sure your info could benefit the rest of us. Thanks.
Blackmath, I also would like to hear how this works out for you.

Sly
11-07-2008, 14:58
The MST is a well marked trail. There's a guidebook by Allen de Hart, without whose effort there would be no trail.

http://www.ncmst.org/hikingncmst.htm

The profile map by the CMC is great once you figure it out.

I've done that entire section and it's as good as anything the southern AT has to offer, if not a bit more strenuous.

sherrill
11-07-2008, 18:39
There's a few trails out of Montreat/Black Mountain, I've hiked the "old toll road" from Mitchell to Black Mountain, but it's been years.

Taba
11-09-2008, 00:16
I have just finished the MST in North Carolina. I wrote a manual for the trail and would be willing to help you out. The trail is well marked and it is comparable to the AT. I have the mileage for every water source and possible camping locations in that area. Feel free to email me and I will come up with something for you.

Scot "Taba" Ward
There And Back Again

Appalachian Trail 2003
Long Trail 2004
Colorado Trail 2007
Mountains to Sea Trail 2008

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2008, 00:54
So I want to do this next month, itll be cooooooold being above 6000 feet in late December but oh well thats when I have off. So I cant find anything about the trail really but I want to do this section. Does anyone know where I can find a guidebook ala somethin like the AT companion or does that not exist yet?There is Hiking North Carolina's Mountains to Sea Trail by Allen De Hart. Its a few years old though. There have been some changes in route since then.

Check the fmst.org site. Email the section maintainers for latest water reports. But it is one of the most accessible section since it follows the parkway.

From Art Loeb to Asheville, the trail parallels the parkway only cutting away at Graveyard Fields.

Then out of Asheville it ventures up to Craggy Gardens. This is going to be your last chance for supply or anything at the picnic area. The parkway from Craggy to Mt Mitchell is closed till 2009 due to rock slide and tunnel repair. West side of Mitchell is not that difficult. But after hitting the summit it then turns rugged going down to Black Mtn Campground. But this is where the MST really gets interesing and goes through a lot of backcountry.

Creepy Uncle
11-09-2008, 11:52
There is Hiking North Carolina's Mountains to Sea Trail by Allen De Hart. Its a few years old though. There have been some changes in route since then.

Check the fmst.org site. Email the section maintainers for latest water reports. But it is one of the most accessible section since it follows the parkway.

From Art Loeb to Asheville, the trail parallels the parkway only cutting away at Graveyard Fields.

Then out of Asheville it ventures up to Craggy Gardens. This is going to be your last chance for supply or anything at the picnic area. The parkway from Craggy to Mt Mitchell is closed till 2009 due to rock slide and tunnel repair. West side of Mitchell is not that difficult. But after hitting the summit it then turns rugged going down to Black Mtn Campground. But this is where the MST really gets interesing and goes through a lot of backcountry.

there's about a 99.9% chance that the parkway will be closed north of Craven Gap (intersect of Town Mtn. Rd. in North Asheville) due to winter weather and tunnel ice. so be prepared to have someone meet you there for a food drop if possible. there's minimum traffic there in the winter, and the few folk that live around Web Cove can't be counted on to be hiker friendly. heck, PM me if you need me to be the one for the drop.

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2008, 15:15
there's about a 99.9% chance that the parkway will be closed north of Craven Gap (intersect of Town Mtn. Rd. in North Asheville) due to winter weather and tunnel ice. so be prepared to have someone meet you there for a food drop if possible. there's minimum traffic there in the winter, and the few folk that live around Web Cove can't be counted on to be hiker friendly. heck, PM me if you need me to be the one for the drop.Creepy do you know when Pisgah closes the Dillingham forest gate?

Creepy Uncle
11-10-2008, 19:42
Creepy do you know when Pisgah closes the Dillingham forest gate?

just looked it up. the gate to fr 63 is scheduled to close on New Years Eve. but from experience with the seasonal roads, the only consistency is their inconsistency to "schedule", especially after October. would be a great option, but late December is a crap shoot.

Spiderman-MST
11-12-2008, 12:41
See also - http://www.ncmst.org/mstsections.htm for FREE topo map downloads for the MST across the state. This is a work in progress as we have a volunteer that is mapping the entire MST and making maps and putting them up on the website.

Go MST, GO!

Jeff Brewer - Spiderman

MST-03
JMT - 06

Phreak
11-12-2008, 13:10
See also - http://www.ncmst.org/mstsections.htm for FREE topo map downloads for the MST across the state. This is a work in progress as we have a volunteer that is mapping the entire MST and making maps and putting them up on the website.

Go MST, GO!

Jeff Brewer - Spiderman

MST-03
JMT - 06
Nice work so far!

Earl Grey
11-12-2008, 20:20
Thanks to all for the info. Looks like I may start at the Boy Scout camp in Shining Rock, ascend Cold Mountain and start the hike from the top of there to Mt Mitchell. Looks like itll be ~100 miles in some cold unforgiving weather. In other words sounds like fun to me.

Creepy Uncle
11-13-2008, 15:18
Have a Blast!

Tennessee Viking
11-13-2008, 16:09
Thanks to all for the info. Looks like I may start at the Boy Scout camp in Shining Rock, ascend Cold Mountain and start the hike from the top of there to Mt Mitchell. Looks like itll be ~100 miles in some cold unforgiving weather. In other words sounds like fun to me.
Forecasets are already calling there to be snow in the higher elevations starting this weekend. Pack warm for December.

humunuku
11-13-2008, 18:21
I might have to try that hike sometime...looks like good stuff. Is there an easy resupply point near asheville?

Creepy Uncle
11-13-2008, 20:46
I might have to try that hike sometime...looks like good stuff. Is there an easy resupply point near asheville?

Harris Teeter on Highway 25 and Ingles on Highway 74.

Tennessee Viking
11-14-2008, 00:25
Pisgah Inn is open during the summer season has hotel, restaurant, and small shop.

Waynesville/Clyde & Brevard are about 20 miles off the parkway on US 276. Canton about 15 miles on 151.

Target off of Airport Road. But thats about 5-10 miles down US 74/25.

Ingles is on NC 191. Also has a mall, hotels, restaurants.

mushroom-eater
12-04-2008, 01:35
Try travelling in the Philippines the highest mountains there are Mt. Apo, Mt. Halcon, Mt. Pulag is my favorite.

rockdawg69
12-04-2008, 20:16
Camp Daniel Boone up to Cold Mtn right out of the box - ouch! That is a hump. If you get this done, we would all like to see the route. I have been looking for a hike to Mt Mitchell for the last couple of months -maybe not this long - but something in the 4 to 5 day range (50-60 miles). Hope you set the path for the rest of us.

Tennessee Viking
12-04-2008, 21:52
Heard that trail celeb Johnny Molloy was just on the Art Loeb .