PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in the rain

the dragon
11-07-2008, 08:07
So me and my buddy have a hike planned for next weekend (Nov. 13-15) from Hughes gap to 19E. Based on weather.com's 10 day forecast for Elk Park (the closest town I could find near that section of the trail) there is a 30% chance of rain on day one, a 60% chance on day 2 and a 40% chance on day 3. The forecst for Bakersville is basically the same. I have no experience hiking in the rain, but I imagine it is pretty miserable. I'm sure some of you guys have hiked in rainy nasty weather. What was your take on it? We are thinking about postponing the trip to the weekend after. What would you do?

superman
11-07-2008, 08:14
I've hiked in the rain many times. I found that the best way to deal with the rain is to get into town before it starts so the rooms aren't all taken. Then I find a restaurant where I can sip hot coffee and watch the wet, hang dog hikers come in from the trail. :)

strates
11-07-2008, 08:30
Day 1 - Get Wet
Day 2 - Get Used to it
Day 3 - Enjoy the quiet solitude rain brings to the woods, and press on.

somebody once said.... (ultralightbackpacker.com quoted them, I believe) "A bad day in the woods is better than any day in the office."

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 08:34
So me and my buddy have a hike planned for next weekend (Nov. 13-15) from Hughes gap to 19E. Based on weather.com's 10 day forecast for Elk Park (the closest town I could find near that section of the trail) there is a 30% chance of rain on day one, a 60% chance on day 2 and a 40% chance on day 3. The forecst for Bakersville is basically the same. I have no experience hiking in the rain, but I imagine it is pretty miserable. I'm sure some of you guys have hiked in rainy nasty weather. What was your take on it? We are thinking about postponing the trip to the weekend after. What would you do?

it's just walkin'. i don't walk in the rain on purpose

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 08:35
"A bad day in the woods is better than any day in the office."

bullcrap :rolleyes:

Roots
11-07-2008, 08:35
I am so feeling your pain. I'll be on the trail all next week in it too. We are taking a UL sil-nylon tarp. Use it to take breaks and put up at camp for a dry area.

Lone Wolf
11-07-2008, 08:36
I've hiked in the rain many times. I found that the best way to deal with the rain is to get into town before it starts so the rooms aren't all taken. Then I find a restaurant where I can sip hot coffee and watch the wet, hang dog hikers come in from the trail. :)

we went to the same school of common sense walking

Homer&Marje
11-07-2008, 08:38
Step 1 is complete. Prepare yourself for rain. If it's not raining, put your pack cover on before you leave and keep your rain gear in a readily accessible spot. An extra tarp for your tentsite is a good idea to make a little dry cooking / relaxing area.

Mrs Baggins
11-07-2008, 09:03
it's just walkin'. i don't walk in the rain on purpose

I'm with you. Fair weather hiker and proud of it. It's one thing when you're attempting a thru-hike and you can't keep making excuses about the weather. But I have no reason to get wet and cold all day (or for days) otherwise. Rain days are museum/antiquing/shopping/indoor stuff days so we can have the dry days free to hike. :sun

Two Speed
11-07-2008, 09:28
Get outdoors enough and sooner or later you're gonna get dosed. No one but a darn fool does it deliberately, but it's gonna happen. Unless you're the Wicked Witch of the West or made of cotton candy you won't melt.

Johnny Swank
11-07-2008, 09:36
You know, I really don't mind hiking in the rain all that much. We picked up a couple Seattle Sombreros before paddling the Mississippi and used the heck out of them. Didn't have one on my thru-hike, but would consider taking some kind of hat for the cooler months. I hate hoods with a passion, and only wear one if it's really, really crappy.

John B
11-07-2008, 09:51
One thing of which you should be aware is the temperature. Hiking in rain with temps in the 30s - 40s will put you at greater risk of hypothermia. Even with good rain gear, the chances are high that you'll be soaked at the end of the day, either from sweat or rain finding its way in. So if you don't know this already, be sure to have a set of dry clothes to change into.

gold bond
11-07-2008, 09:59
One thing of which you should be aware is the temperature. Hiking in rain with temps in the 30s - 40s will put you at greater risk of hypothermia. Even with good rain gear, the chances are high that you'll be soaked at the end of the day, either from sweat or rain finding its way in. So if you don't know this already, be sure to have a set of dry clothes to change into.

Great advice! I don't mind getting "caught" in the rain but I have tried the old grin and bear it way...it sucked! I don't hike in the rain unless I have too!

superman
11-07-2008, 10:15
we went to the same school of common sense walking

It could be that we share the same birthday.:-?

Pedaling Fool
11-07-2008, 10:22
Day 1 - 70% chance of no rain
Day 2 - 40% chance of no rain
Day 3 - 60% chance of no rain

SouthMark
11-07-2008, 10:23
Hike in the rain? Not on purpose!

buff_jeff
11-07-2008, 10:32
I don't mind walking in the rain. It really doesn't bother me that much if it isn't cold. I'm not about to sit in a shelter all day waiting for it to pass...

sheepdog
11-07-2008, 10:34
One thing to think about is the fog. With rain usually comes fog. The days are very short and if you have to hike at night it is nearly impossible, between the fog eating up your light and leaves on the trail.

JERMM
11-07-2008, 10:43
I am so feeling your pain. I'll be on the trail all next week in it too. We are taking a UL sil-nylon tarp. Use it to take breaks and put up at camp for a dry area.

delay your start date by a few days and you'll be fine or hike faster and get to town or plan a shorter hike. :D

D'Artagnan
11-07-2008, 10:55
I carry a small umbrella. In some places, that seems to work better for me than rain gear. I avoid starting out in the rain if at all possible.

Tilly
11-07-2008, 10:55
Walking in the rain can wear you down if it goes on for awhile, say 2, 3, 4 days in a row.

A day of rain isn't a big deal. It can be kind of nice, actually.

On the AT there are shelters and ways to get away from it a bit, even if it's just to make dinner or something.

Best thing to do is be prepared and trust your rain gear/system and your tent/shelter, whatever it may be.

Skyline
11-07-2008, 11:04
If you hike / backpack long enough, you'll possibly learn to make friends with the rain. Above about 55 degrees, I kinda like it on occasion. Below that, or with high winds, it's a pain but many of the suggestions in this thread are good coping strategies.

I also carry a 5x8 silnylon tarp that I hunker under for those brief, monsoon-like downpours. I can fit me, my dog, and my pack under it. Sometimes a second person. For all-day rain, just make sure you've got good, dry clothing to put on after you've set up camp. You'll likely be wet no matter how much Goretex you've paid big bucks for.

Pedaling Fool
11-07-2008, 11:04
I carry a small umbrella. In some places, that seems to work better for me than rain gear. I avoid starting out in the rain if at all possible.
How's that work in the many overgrown areas of the AT? I've been on many sections where I wished I had a machete to clear a path.

flemdawg1
11-07-2008, 11:16
I look at like you've got a better than even chance of hiking in the rain for 1 day, and about 50-50 of 2 days. I'd still go. Have some decent rain gear, a pack cover AND a pack liner (garbage bag), and some dry clothes and socks to change into at camp.

On my section 2 weeks ago, it rained on the first day. We just put our heads down and made miles (15), mostly because we needed to get to shelter/water and off the ridges where the winds really howl.

Lyle
11-07-2008, 11:36
While hiking in the rain isn't usually pleasant (except on HOT, humid days) it's not really as bad as you may think. I do tend to make more miles more quickly because breaks are either non-existent or much shorter. The woods take on a very different mood in rainy weather, very beautiful if you are opened to it, and great lighting for photography.

If you choose to go, make certain to keep your camp clothes and sleeping gear dry. Both you and your partner should review the signs and symptoms of hypothermia prior to leaving, then make sure you pay attention to each other. Hypothermia is easy to miss in yourself, easier to spot in others. If it becomes a factor, take action early.

Also, you will need to plan to wear your wet, initially cold clothes each day. Do not be tempted to start hiking in your "dry" clothes. You will regret it at camp that night and possibly put yourself in danger if you wet all your clothes. The misery is surprisingly short-lived once you start hiking so you just gotta "grin and bear it".

You have the option of postponing, so the choice is your's. Just keep in mind, the weather may turn out much better than predicted next weekend, and may be much worse the following - kinda goes with the territory of outdoor activities. No guarantees.

bigcranky
11-07-2008, 11:36
I'll be in the Smokies next week. Between my work schedule and the required shelter reservations, I'm pretty much stuck with my planned schedule. So it might rain -- not too big a deal. Wear rain gear (jacket and pants), and DON'T wear too much clothing underneath. A light base layer is almost always enough when it's raining, otherwise you'll sweat so much you get soaked anyway. Make sure your dry clothing and sleeping bag are totally protected inside your pack. In winter it's not too much to have both a pack liner and a pack cover.

I think I will go dig out my Seattle Sombrero, too. Forgot about that. Great hat.

OldStormcrow
11-07-2008, 14:11
I've tried hiking in the rain wearing everything from backpacking ponchos to fancy base layers to North Face storm coats. Nothing, no matter how "breathable" it is designed to be, will keep you dry if you are really exerting yourself and sweating. If I am hiking in the rain in warm weather I take off everything that I can without getting arrested and stash my clothes in my pack to keep them dry until I can get into camp and change. In cooler weather (35-45 degrees) I hike in long sleeved base layers, eat lots, get very wet, and change when I get where I'm going. You won't be starting any conversations with my old friend hypothermia until you stop for an overly long break.....at which point you should have a jacket handy until you get started again. If it's really cold, (30 and below) it all turns to ice or snow and you can just brush it off!

D'Artagnan
11-07-2008, 14:41
How's that work in the many overgrown areas of the AT? I've been on many sections where I wished I had a machete to clear a path.

That's where the caveat "In some places..." comes into play. If you're out in the open, like say, Grayson Highlands, it's OK. In the green tunnel of a rhodo thicket, not so OK. :D

Lyle
11-07-2008, 16:50
If I am hiking in the rain in warm weather I take off everything that I can without getting arrested and stash my clothes in my pack to keep them dry until I can get into camp and change. In cooler weather (35-45 degrees) I hike in long sleeved base layers, eat lots, get very wet, and change when I get where I'm going. You won't be starting any conversations with my old friend hypothermia until you stop for an overly long break.....at which point you should have a jacket handy until you get started again. If it's really cold, (30 and below) it all turns to ice or snow and you can just brush it off! Emphasis added by me.

With due respect, I would like to disagree.

My one and only personal experience with hypothermia happened in New Mexico in July. I was hiking with the Scouts at Philmont. Several of us were shirtless on a very warm day. It began to rain and a breeze picked up just as we were starting a relatively long descent. After about 45 minutes of continuous hiking, the other adult leader pulled me aside and convinced me to put on a jacket. Apparently, I had begun stumbling and weaving along the trail. I was not even aware of this, nor did I feel in the least bit chilled since we were still moving. As soon as we got to a flat area, we set up a tarp and heated some water for some hot drinks for everyone.

I learned a valuable lesson on that mid-summer day. That is why, in my earlier post, I recommended that both hikers review the Signs and Symptoms of hypothermia and then be observant of eachother. I did not even suspect that I was becoming chilled, but the symptoms disappeared shortly after putting on the jacket.

Summit
11-07-2008, 16:54
Hiking soaked by rain feels better than hiking soaked by sweat in hot weather. One or two days of rain is part of normal mountain weather cycle. More than that (days in a row) and it can dampen my spirits. If I'm out for a week and deal with two days of rain, I consider it a great hike as far as weather goes. I like a little rain hiking now and then. :)

adventurousmtnlvr
11-07-2008, 17:15
Day 1 - 70% chance of no rain
Day 2 - 40% chance of no rain
Day 3 - 60% chance of no rainI like the way you think! :) Another person who sees the glass half full. Besides, the air is sooo nice after a good rain.

I wouldn't want to hike in it for days either but when I was in the Army ... had no choice. So for this thread, it's really up to the person who will be hiking as to what 'they' can or want to handle :) ... especially in the really muddy areas and depending on what sort of food you brought (might want to include some things you don't have to cook if only making a quick stop in the rain prior to making camp).

Footslogger
11-07-2008, 17:17
It's just water ...

Now if it's cold and raining, THAT'S a different story but otherwise you just keep on keepin on.

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
11-07-2008, 17:22
Find a puddle, sit in it and eat a sandwitch, then take an hour nap. From then on walking in the rain is like a night at the ritz.
Hiking in the rain really is like making love to an ugly woman-A real chore to get started, but a pleasure once you get going.

the dragon
11-07-2008, 17:42
Thanks guys for all your input. It is really appreciated. We plan on making the ultimate decision on Monday whether or not to postpone to the next weekend. I have a pretty demanding schedule at work sometimes and I have been looking forward to this trip for a while. I really don't want to get out there and be cold and wet all three days. Cold I can handle. Wet I can handle. But, the two of them together just sounds like asking for trouble.

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2008, 17:44

Or a big Tilly Hat

Summit
11-07-2008, 18:36
Thanks guys for all your input. It is really appreciated. We plan on making the ultimate decision on Monday whether or not to postpone to the next weekend. I have a pretty demanding schedule at work sometimes and I have been looking forward to this trip for a while. I really don't want to get out there and be cold and wet all three days. Cold I can handle. Wet I can handle. But, the two of them together just sounds like asking for trouble.The forecast (actual conditions) could change dramatically between now and next weekend. It's too far out yet. By mid-week the forecast at that time should be fairly reliable. Make your go/no-go decision Wednesday if you can. I agree when doing a three-day hike, if you have the flexibility to avoid three days of rain do so. If you're going for a week or more, I would say just go because rain is part of the mountain experience and when you put a positive attitude on being out in it, it can be rather fun! The only down-side really is missing views from those balds on the section you're doing.

Tagless
11-07-2008, 18:55
Many outstanding thoughts have been shared in previous posts so I'll add only one additional point of view. My wife (Tag-along) and I evolved into the following guiding philosophy over 20 years ago. This way of thinking has served us well repeatedly...

Don't let the weather forecast ruin your planned fun.

Downunda
11-07-2008, 19:15
There's something nice about hiking in the rain, the sounds you hear are quite different plus the the scent given off trees and undergrowth is really intense, something you don't experience in the dry.
I found rain gear pretty much useless as you perspire too much somewhat defeating the purpose, except if it was windy then it helped to keep the wind chill under control.

Otherwise I didn't wear any. The main thing you need to ensure is that you can dry off and change into dry warm clothes at the end of the day.