PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad in a hammock

mtbmatty
11-07-2008, 11:11
other than added insulation, does a sleeping pad offer added comfort when hanging??

i've got my 1st hammock on the way, so i will be expierementing in the back yard. i have an old blue foam sleeping pad i will try and probably some sort of a blanket underneath.

i guess i will know soon enough, just wondering what others were doing

thanks -matt

nufsaid
11-07-2008, 11:25
A pad is not really needed for comfort. But is very useful for insulation.

bigcranky
11-07-2008, 11:31
Doesn't add any comfort -- in fact it can be less comfortable. But you need some sort of insulation under you in anything except very warm weather. A pad is a cheap and convenient way to get this insulation.

In cold weather I like an XL Ridgerest, it's 25 inches wide and 77 inches long. That way it wraps a little better around my shoulders. I've been out well below freezing with this pad.

mtbmatty
11-07-2008, 11:59
thanks ken i had been looking at the Z-rest. the Ridge-rest makes a little more sense cause of the added width. the R-value is a bit higher also...which is a bonus

Hooch
11-07-2008, 12:08
If you're going to use a pad with your hammock, might I suggest an SPE (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm) from Speer Hammocks (http://www.speerhammocks.com). It's a great little device, makes it easy to make your pad wider than it actually is, cheap and lightweight.

SteveJ
11-07-2008, 12:13
agree with the above posts....another thing to do is to cut a short length of 3/8" pad and "t" the pad at your shoulders. I usually use a 27" wide pad from Target. If temps fall well below freezing (under 20), I need something wider than the 27" because it doesn't wrap all the way around my shoulders.....

...haven't tried a SPE - have always meant to, just haven't gotten one yet!

Hooch
11-07-2008, 12:32
Personally, I'm an underquilt guy, but I've tried the SPE a couple times. It was very warm with just a cheap Wally-World blue foam pad with the same material for its wings. Definitely a good investment for the budget conscious hammocker to stay warm with. Ed's a great guy and a jewel to do business with.

Strategic
11-07-2008, 12:34
I tried pads, but just couldn't make a go of it. Too uncomfortable trying to keep the pad under me in the right position all night. If you want comfort, it needs to be an underquilt. Take a look at what the hammock gear makers offer, like Jack 'r Better (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hennessy%20Style%20Under%20Quilts.htm), KickAssQuilts (http://www.kickassquilts.com/Products.html), or Speer (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SnugFit.htm) (though that's not a complete list) to get an idea of how they work and the variations possible. Many people go MYOG for these (I am) but you can get a good lightweight one easily from a gear-maker. I should also mention that all the underquilt makers I know of are small-scale operations, not big commercial makers, so you know you're sending your cash to fellow hikers and not corporate investers.

Toolshed
11-07-2008, 16:50
Another suggestion (I picked up at HF) is to cut the corners off your pad - My top and bottom are now oval shaped. Fits in the 'Mock better. Beware though, I get a lot of condensation trapped between myself and a CCF pad. if you roll to a side, you will get chilled as that sweat cools.

Fiddleback
11-07-2008, 20:36
I agree that a pad adds little to comfort and may actually detract from it. But some under insulation while hanging is absolutely necessary even during warm nights...IMO, the cut off is 60 or 70 degrees.

I've never had problems with slipping or keeping the pad in place. I think that's because the pad I use is 40 X 60" (Oware) and the pad simply doesn't have much room to slip. The extra width cups the shoulders providing insulation and wind block there. The pad's foam type also reduces slippage, I think. It's a lot of insulation for only 7oz.

Oware may not carry the pad anymore but I've read that Gossamer Gear has a similar pad.

FB

wisenber
11-12-2008, 23:24
I agree that pads do not contribute much in the way of comfort, but my homemade SPE using a WallyWorld blue pad combined with a Big Agnes insulated aircore has kept me warm below 10 F.

trailfoot
11-12-2008, 23:40
Z rests are nice but if you move at all at night... this is not the best choice. I ended up purchasing an air mattress, Big Agnus, and used it in my hammock. It was heaven. It's a little tough getting into the hammock and situated but once you are in, it's the best night sleep I ever had in my hammock. Which is pretty much what Wisenber had said previously. So I agree with him.

Gladiator
11-12-2008, 23:58
In my limited experience, I've found that a less-than-fully inflated insulated sleeping pad placed inside my sleeping bag keeps me warm enough. Since I use a liner inside the bag, I don't have any sweat or condensation issues to deal with. Granted, it requires some creative agility to position, but its manageable and inexpensive.

One of my next gear purchases will be a SPE. Sounds like a lot of folks like them.

Gladiator

Tinker
11-13-2008, 00:30
I don't use pads or an underquilt. Pads make my back sweat, and underquilts are pricey.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG
I tried a sort of underquilt in the picture, but found it unnecessary. Now I use a Golite Feather-lite bag. It's warmer and 1/2 lb. lighter.

Fiddleback
11-13-2008, 12:08
Depending upon one's sleep system and the area's humidity, one could try afixing fleece to the pad to reduce condensation under the shoulders, back, etc. This is a tip I picked up from Sgt Rock's site when I first started with a hammock.

It seemed to work for me but, given my sleep system and the aridness of my home region, I ultimately decided that the benefit didn't justify the added weight of the Campmor fleece throw and clips I was using (14oz total). I think it all helped...but, with my sleep system in the arid mountain west I think I don't have much of a problem with condensation in the first place. In the higher humidity featured on the AT the fleece idea should have a greater benefit.

I still use my original, 40 X 60" Oware pad and, for its meager 7oz, I get effective insulation into the low-20s. But, as always, the results are dependent upon the rest of the sleep system, the conditions encountered, and the individual.

FB

Shade
11-13-2008, 12:58
As to condensation with a blue pad.. I saw it solved by cutting small holes in a pattern (1/4 inch spaced 1 1/2 inch apart) into the pad to allow some airflow and thus remove the condensation.
This reduces the warmth, but that is the point. The pad is to warm if there is condensation. I saw it work but haven't tried it myself.. Maybe worth a try given the low cost of blue pads.

Blissful
11-13-2008, 15:32
My hubby is cold without his for insulation under 40 degrees.

River Runner
11-14-2008, 18:56
A combination of an underquilt and the Gossamer Gear wide 1/4" thinlight pad is great in subfreezing weather. Either one alone is generally enough into the upper 30's.

If you go the foam pad method definitely either get a wide one or the Speer SPE.

Condensation underneath the sleeper can definitely be a problem with the foam pads. I've found this can somewhat be mitigated by wearing insulated clothing and having a lighter weight sleeping bag on top.

peter_pan
11-14-2008, 20:40
A combination of an underquilt and the Gossamer Gear wide 1/4" thinlight pad is great in subfreezing weather. Either one alone is generally enough into the upper 30's.

If you go the foam pad method definitely either get a wide one or the Speer SPE.

Condensation underneath the sleeper can definitely be a problem with the foam pads. I've found this can somewhat be mitigated by wearing insulated clothing and having a lighter weight sleeping bag on top.

There are several UQ that go to single digits or low teens and one that is zero capable without a pad.... standard caviats, sheltered site, appropriate base layer, warm hat, well feed, well hydrated.

Pan

sclittlefield
11-21-2008, 13:06
My first night after getting my HH was miserable. I didn't sleep. It was summer in Maine, camping out on a very small Island so it was fairly breezy. My back was so cold it kept me up most the night. I tried the blue foam pad, which ripped while trying to maneuver it in the night, but it worked great, kept me plenty warm. Since then I've been interested in a less bulky version that would do the same thing, give more coverage side to side, and be tear resistant.

I'm sure I'm not the first to build one this way, but I've come up with what I believe to be a very effective hammock pad. You can build it to whatever size you want, and I think you'll find the weight factor to be pleasing. I'll list the materials and where you can get them first, then just explain briefly the layers and why.

Materials:
- There is a very very thin foam that is used in packing, you often find it around large screen tv's in the box. Its closed cell and less than 1/8th inches in thickness. It's throw away stuff, so you may be able to get it free from stores, or maybe they sell it at packaging stores.
- Get enough fabric (I use 1.1zo ripstop from the $1.50 bin at Walmart) to cover the bottom side.
- Get enough fleece to cover the top, you can actually get it cheaper, often, in a fleece throw blanket from a department store like Walmart than by the yard.
- Grab a cheap space blanket.

Build:
- Layer like this, from bottom to top.
- ripstop
- foam
- space blanket
- foam
- fleece
- Sew the layers together, with the bottom layer a bit larger so you can use it as a hem. Sew squares (~6") across the pad to keep everything in place, I like to use a zig-zag for that, it just looks good.
- I also make one without the space blanket, and use ripstop on top instead of fleece for warmer weather.

-You need foam under the space blanket to keep the heat from escaping out the bottom.
-You need foam above the space blanket to create a dead air space - the space blanket won't work properly without this (and the fleece does this as well, so if you were so inclined you could do away with the second layer of foam, and for that matter, so would the bottom of your sleeping bag if you go that route).
-The ripstop bottom keeps it rugged, it won't tear when you move it around, it's slippery enough to move but not so much that it's hard to use. The foam would rip to pieces without this.
-The fleece on top makes it so you can go with just a blanket on top of you if you'd rather go that way instead of a standard sleeping bag situation, but obviously workes just fine either way. The fleece also helps with some people having issues of wetness while on just a closed cell pad.

Add an underquilt and you can use this setup in relatively cold weather. The no-space blanket one is great in the warm summer months when you don't need that reflective heat.

This is my first post - feel free to pick it apart guys. I would appreaciate any constructive criticism to make it better.

QuebecRun
11-21-2008, 13:19
sclittlefield, nice job. what's the weight of your DIY pad?

sclittlefield
11-21-2008, 13:21
I wish I could tell you. I'm afraid I've not got any accurate way of measuring that. Perhaps I'll invest in a cheap postal scale soon.