PDA

View Full Version : Arc'Teryx Rain Jacket

Rowdy Yates
11-07-2008, 15:32
:-? What experience have you had with Arc'Teryx Rain Jackets? I would like to hear the pro and the cons on weight & wear, as I am looking to the possibility of buying one.

geeselight
11-07-2008, 15:33
Which jacket

A-Train
11-07-2008, 16:00
I've got one of their shells-one of the few perks of working outdoor retail was the occasional pro deal. I got mine at 25% of normal cost, as these jackets are very, very pricey.

THey are a great product, top of the line. Very waterproof, and the seams are well sealed all around. Also they are very light, but durable. My jacket, at about 20 0z may seem heavy compared to a Precip or FroggToggs, but is way more durable and will probably outlast the owner.

The cut is small and tight, as these jackets are made for the climber who is wearing a harness and other equiptment.

I've been out of the industry for almost 2 yrs and they were in the process of shifting their labor over to Asia (suprise, suprise) so I'd be a bit skeptical about spending 400-500 bucks on a jacket made overseas. Everything used to be made in Canada, one of the major selling points of their stuff.

Rowdy Yates
11-07-2008, 16:25
Which jacket

:confused: I think it is the Alpha SL Model made with Goretex. I have had no experience with these jackets, so I have no dase to work from. I know that I want light & durable.

Tipi Walter
11-07-2008, 18:52
I've always heard the Arcteryx rain shells, both jackets and bibs, are the best and beefiest out there. I was camping in the winter several years ago at around 5200 feet when I ran into a guy wearing a pair of Arcteryx pants/bib with double knees, etc. We got to talking and I showed him my nice goretex Marmot Minima rain jacket and he whipped out his Arcteryxs and I remember only one word: $400. Later I needed a new outer fleece jacket layer and ended up gettng an Arcteryx Delta SVwhatever and gotta say, worth every penny. If I had to upgrade to a new rain jacket, Arcteryx would be on my short list, along with a few companies I just can't remember to name, perhaps PHD.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-07-2008, 19:39
Innovation, quality, durability, quality, high price, quality, very "athletic" fit, quality.
I have a theta AR in GTX and it is simply the best piece of equipment I own and I don't skimp. 5 yrs old not so much as a frayed stitch. Yes GTX doesn't breathe in every situation but for mountaineering it's the best.

My wife and I each have an Arcteryx fleece, they are 5 or 6 y.o. also and still look great, my son wore an arcteryx fleece jacket under his BDU's at School of infantry and pre-deployment training in the desert-horribly filthy and smelly but 2 washings looks/smells new.
People love to badmouth the brand but you see that when a guy driving a yugo gets passed by a porsche too.
I also have an Arcteryx Atabatic windshirt. I don't care for the fabric it stains easily, but everything else about is is pure quality.
I like it

TwoForty
11-09-2008, 03:41
I would consider most of their stuff mountaineering apparel. While this means it will be very durable, it is also made out of goretex which works best in cold weather. If you want to go for breathability and a few ounces less, look into some of the various eVent jackets.

Another thing to note is that all of their jackets went up from $50 to $100 dollars and they moved production to Asia at the same time. Rumor is that the Alpha SV and Alpha LT are still made in Canada, but who knows for how much longer (or if they are at all).

NICKTHEGREEK
11-09-2008, 11:11
I would consider most of their stuff mountaineering apparel. While this means it will be very durable, it is also made out of goretex which works best in cold weather. If you want to go for breathability and a few ounces less, look into some of the various eVent jackets.

Another thing to note is that all of their jackets went up from $50 to $100 dollars and they moved production to Asia at the same time. Rumor is that the Alpha SV and Alpha LT are still made in Canada, but who knows for how much longer (or if they are at all).
Might have something to do with the canadian dollar being worth more than the US dollar, or the us dollar worth less compared to just about every currenct

Creepy Uncle
11-09-2008, 12:06
Might have something to do with the canadian dollar being worth more than the US dollar, or the us dollar worth less compared to just about every currenct

as this was the case a few weeks ago, the dollar has climbed quite nicely recently.

i've had an Arc-teryx shell for almost 9 years, and though i had to replace it for summer use (going lightweight), it's still perfect for the winter outings. the only signs of wear are in the "waterproofing" of the zippers.

worth every penny provided you have enough opportunities to get your money's worth out of it.

Creepy Uncle
11-09-2008, 13:04
as this was the case a few weeks ago, the dollar has climbed quite nicely recently.

i've had an Arc-teryx shell for almost 9 years, and though i had to replace it for summer use (going lightweight), it's still perfect for the winter outings. the only signs of wear are in the "waterproofing" of the zippers.

worth every penny provided you have enough opportunities to get your money's worth out of it.

nevermind, just pulled it out the closet for a trip, and i noticed the seam tape is starting to peel in a couple of areas. but, it is 9 years old.

anyone know if Arc'teryx will fix it for free?

TwoForty
11-09-2008, 21:31
Call them up and try. From what I understand, they try to send it back to the very person who sewed it in the first place. That may not be the case if they are as busy as they say though.

Is the tape going bad along an edge with cord or elastic? That is where seam tape usually dies, where it is bunched up for years on end.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-10-2008, 07:11

May we live forever then:D

Creepy Uncle
11-10-2008, 19:52
Call them up and try. From what I understand, they try to send it back to the very person who sewed it in the first place. That may not be the case if they are as busy as they say though.

Is the tape going bad along an edge with cord or elastic? That is where seam tape usually dies, where it is bunched up for years on end.

strangely, it's coming off around the shoulders. perhaps a pack-related injury.

Ramble~On
01-11-2009, 11:04
I love their stuff new and old.
I'd rather have it made in Canada ("Eh"!) but from what I've bought since they too joined the Asian Movement - it's just as good.
Yes, some of it is more geared towards mountaineering but their PacLite shells are pretty close to a Precip in size/weight.

I wish they made sleeping bags and tents!
Arcteryx makes quality stuff.
You get what you pay for.

JAK
01-11-2009, 11:16
"aye" is pronounce "I", as in the naval "aye aye sir".
"eh" is the correct spelling for "How's she goin' eh."

Rcarver
01-11-2009, 11:17
I bought the Alpha SL jacket a couple of years ago to use as my winter shell. I think it is a great shell only weighs about 13 oz, packs down pretty small and for me it breaths pretty well. I would buy it again if I lost it. I would recomend it as a cooler weather shell. My three season shell is an OR Zealot, which if it had a better hood I would probably use it year round. It only weighs 8 oz and packs down to almost nothing.

Ramble~On
01-11-2009, 11:20
"aye" is pronounce "I", as in the naval "aye aye sir".
"eh" is the correct spelling for "How's she goin' eh."

Aye Aye - Eh !

JAK
01-11-2009, 11:29
I've never tried or seen Arcteryx, but I'm not in a big urban center.
I see Mountain Equipment Co-op carries it. Seems heavy to me though, and way too expensive.

I think really thin untreated nylon shells over wool and fleece is better than any heavy shell in really cold conditions. You can take the light shell off when moving to dry out, and pop it back on when you stop or if its really windy. A 4oz nylon wind shell is breathable enough but still windproof enough, and if it gets iced up you can give it a good shake. For serious rain around 30F, you need some sort of treated nylon, which doesn't breath, but over wool it doesn't really need to. A more expensive gortex or similar waterproof/breathable system might be better in such conditions, but I still think over a mix of wool and fleece and skin layers a cheap light nylon wind shell and cheap sylnylon rain shell is more versatile over a range of conditions from -30F to +30F. I think it best to keep the shells light and cheap, or at least light if not cheap.

JAK
01-11-2009, 11:29
Aye Aye - Eh !Exactly. :)

JAK
01-11-2009, 11:39
The thing about merchandisers is that are always looking for new ways to sell $400 item rather than $100 items, and its easier for most consumers to pay more for something that is heavier, so you don't see too many 4oz or 8oz $400 jackets, even though they might be better than 20oz jackets. 20oz jackets are still just as cheap to produce, but can sell for more, even though they are less functional, because they are heavier and less packable. I will pay alot for a really good hand knit sweater, or a down sleeping bag, but a shell is just a shell, and shells are cheap. I will pay a little more though, if its got what I'm looking for in terms of hooded/nonhooded, half-zip, pockets/pouches, and length, but it has to be reasonable light and packable. 4oz is reasonable for a wind shell. 8-12oz is reasonable for a rain shell.