PDA

View Full Version : trekking poles..need some advice

2009ThruHiker
11-07-2008, 17:21
I"m looking to buy the pacer poles..and i want the carbon setup ...but i'm using them with a tent that requires set up with the poles at 54"...and unfortunately the carbon poles are 52". Any thoughts on the 2 section pacer poles which would be long enough but are heavier.... or ways i can get the extra height needed out of the carbon set?

NICKTHEGREEK
11-07-2008, 17:46
I"m looking to buy the pacer poles..and i want the carbon setup ...but i'm using them with a tent that requires set up with the poles at 54"...and unfortunately the carbon poles are 52". Any thoughts on the 2 section pacer poles which would be long enough but are heavier.... or ways i can get the extra height needed out of the carbon set?
Enzyte? Ask Bob

2009ThruHiker
11-07-2008, 17:47
Enzyte? Ask Bob

???

Nest
11-07-2008, 17:53
???

Enzyte makes men bigger.

Anywhoo... have you tried setting the tent up at the sorter height? Kind of a simple solution, but the tent might not be really affected by the 2 inch difference.

Egads
11-07-2008, 17:54
Set the poles on a rock or stick to boost them 2"

2009ThruHiker
11-07-2008, 18:14
Enzyte makes men bigger.

Anywhoo... have you tried setting the tent up at the sorter height? Kind of a simple solution, but the tent might not be really affected by the 2 inch difference.

Good thought. Wish I'd thought of it sooner. My poles are sold. Looking to buy new ones...so I don't have any poles to do that test. May try to find two shorter sticks and cut to size and try that...

Not sure how sturdy that would be...

thanks for the ideas!!!

Nest
11-07-2008, 18:14
Just thought of this. They make these aluminum tubes that are tent pole repair tubes. About 4-5 inches long. You may be able to slip them over the tips of the trecking poles to make them longer or something. Just an idea, maybe it will spark an idea that will work better.

Footslogger
11-07-2008, 18:28
=============================

If you're sold on the pacer poles I would suggest you just find a 2" rock or make yourself a little extension out of pvc pipe and put it under the pole handle to give you the extra height.

'Slogger

Egads
11-07-2008, 18:43

Not sure how sturdy that would be...

I am sure that you can find something that will work most of the time.

2009ThruHiker
11-07-2008, 20:39
Just thought of this. They make these aluminum tubes that are tent pole repair tubes. About 4-5 inches long. You may be able to slip them over the tips of the trecking poles to make them longer or something. Just an idea, maybe it will spark an idea that will work better.

awesome! i'll look into this.

Deadeye
11-07-2008, 20:51
The woods are full of sticks! Trees, too!

Which came first, the stick or the tree?

When you can answer that, grasshopper, you can set up your tent anywhere.

2009ThruHiker
11-07-2008, 21:15

someone has pointed me in the right direction....will try the hardware store first...thanks again!
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=GO2999

Franco
11-07-2008, 23:25
Hi
Have a look at PVC plumbing pipes
Franco

Blue Jay
11-08-2008, 09:56
The woods are full of sticks! Trees, too!

Which came first, the stick or the tree?

When you can answer that, grasshopper, you can set up your tent anywhere.

Blasphemy, you just cannot be cool with sticks. You have to have carbon fiber, to be a real hiker.:banana