PDA

View Full Version : Boots for winter

hnryclay
11-07-2008, 17:22
Usually I hike in trail runners, or shoes Merril Moab Ventilators at present, and enjoy both the light weight, and breathibility they offer. However I do not like using shoes in the snow, so I am shopping around for some new boots specifically for winter conditions in the south east. So far I have narrowed my shopping to three choices the Lowa Banff (http://www.rei.com/product/719739), Asolo TPS 535 (http://www.rei.com/product/694262), and the Vasque Summit. (http://www.rei.com/product/764062)

I have heard several people recommend these HiTec boots (http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/765668), but in all the reviews on trailspace they are reported to leak, which would make them unsatisfactory for my purpose.

Have any suggestions? please feel free to include them.

Tipi Walter
11-07-2008, 18:44
The Asolos look fine, I've been using goretex Asolos for the last 3 or 4 years and they fit fine with no complaints, though a pair might last me only about 18 months. People will chime in about the pros and cons of full leather vs goretex, etc, but let's face it, after a full week of tromping thru deep snow, no boot will stay dry or keep your feet dry. In the old days when the southeast had snows worth talking about, I found the only thing that kept me comfy and partially dry were a nice pair of Sorel pakboots. With the removable felt liner, they could be upgraded periodically and even when the top leather sections gets frozen, the lower rubber stays flexible. A great boot for winter snows.

Drawback: They are clunky to backpack with, especially uphill. You'll break a sweat climbing a mountain with a pack on your back wearing these babies in 2 feet of snow. But they'd be my choice if I had to stay in wet deep snow for 10 or 15 days. And whatever you do, don't get the crepe style sole, go for the vibram style lugs.

bulldog49
11-08-2008, 18:17
I use Vasque Sundowners in the winter. They offer far superior water protection than the fabric/leather Gortex boots and weigh only a few ounces more.

Richard Snider
11-09-2008, 15:42
I wear Vasque Summit GTX year round. I've worn them quite bit in the winter in snow, ice, & deep snow with gaiters and have never had my feet get cold or wet. Since they're an all leather Gore-Tex boot they don't breath very well which is good in the winter for keeping your feet warm. The boots lining still helps wick the sweat away from your feet well enough too keep them dry (or not soaked) in that respect also.I do wear Wigwam mid-weight wool socks in no-snow weather & Wigwam heavy-weight socks.

In the interest of full disclosure: Vasque Sundowners & Summit GTX are all I've ever hiked/backpacked in so I don't have any feedback to offer on other brands.

Jim Adams
11-09-2008, 15:45
I just bought a pair of Salomon's on sale from Campmor. Advertised as winter hiking boots, 200g of thinsilate, above ankle, breathable, waterproof to the top and 1lb., 6oz. per pair....$99...I've been wearing them to work all week and love them...sooooo comfortable! Only in black.

geek

woodsy
11-09-2008, 18:41
I've used both Sorrel pakboots like tipi mentioned and Vasque leather GTX boots for winter hiking with good results(dry warm feet) I use SNO-SEAL to waterproof the leather boots before heading out.
Like all waterproofed boots, sweat build up can become a problem and boots can freeze solid in sub-freezing conditions so you'll need to bring them in the bag with you overnight or figure out some other way to keep them from freezing....

hnryclay
11-09-2008, 19:41
Guys, thanks for the advice, It looks like either the Vasque or the Asolos. Gonna do some more shopping to get the best price.

woodsy
11-09-2008, 21:28
Also, the vibram lugs come with colored stamps on the bottom, get the yellow vibram stamp, not the green stamp ones. The yellow stamped lugs are highly slip resistant for superior traction. Probably most quality hiking boots come with the yellows anyway but just in case.....

mudhead
11-10-2008, 07:16
Guys, thanks for the advice, It looks like either the Vasque or the Asolos. Gonna do some more shopping to get the best price.

You meant the best fit.

Frau
11-10-2008, 08:01
Nessmuk and I 3-season hike in Moab Ventilators, too. For winter, around HERE (Western VA), and that is the key, we both wear Hi-Teks, which we get inexpensively at Super Shoes in Roanoke. We both have Gore-tex boots/shoes for the few times each winter that there is snow in the ground.

We are not thru-hikers, so even in a day-long rain, the Hi-Teks are fine with wool socks. We both find them VERY comfortable for up to 15 miles.

AMEN on what Mudhead said about BEST FIT. Take care of your feet, regardless of price, or end up side-lined!

Frau

verber
11-10-2008, 22:50
Why don't you like trail runners in the winter? I can amazing a number of reasons and corresponding suggestions:

a hard sole and solid construction to kick stairs, get traction of ice, etc. I have been pretty happy with the insulated Keen Growler cause they have been warm, protective, and reasonably light weight.

Keep snow out of the tops: trail runners with gaters, or inov-8 390 which are mid-height trail runners.

Keep feet warm: size up one and use rbh designs insulated vapor barrier socks.

Some people I know swear by http://www.mukluks.com/index.shtml ... but I haven't tried them.

hnryclay
11-10-2008, 23:46
Why don't you like trail runners in the winter? I can amazing a number of reasons and corresponding suggestions:

a hard sole and solid construction to kick stairs, get traction of ice, etc. I have been pretty happy with the insulated Keen Growler cause they have been warm, protective, and reasonably light weight.

Keep snow out of the tops: trail runners with gaters, or inov-8 390 which are mid-height trail runners.

Keep feet warm: size up one and use rbh designs insulated vapor barrier socks.

Some people I know swear by http://www.mukluks.com/index.shtml ... but I haven't tried them.

Mostly because in snow that is deeper then 4 or 5 inches they fill up with water, especially in wet spring snow, making my socks, and feet soaked. It's not too bad after walking long enough to heat up the water, but those first couple hours really suck. I prefer a boot, which when paired with gaiters will keep my feet more or less dry. I know perspiration can still be a problem, I can live with 1 sock change per day... just not one every couple of hours.

Quoddy
11-11-2008, 09:00
For winter only I use Inov-8 Roclite 390 GTX in conjunction with gaiters. Weighing only 13.75oz each and being water (snow) proof, they work great for me. They're substantial enough for me to attach crampons to in icy conditions.

trailfoot
11-11-2008, 09:49
hnryclay, what size do you need I have a pair of the asolo that might fit that are all but brand new. They have 2 days on the AT from Springer to Neels gap.

Lyle
11-11-2008, 11:14
Like all waterproofed boots, sweat build up can become a problem and boots can freeze solid in sub-freezing conditions so you'll need to bring them in the bag with you overnight or figure out some other way to keep them from freezing....

I never liked taking wet boots into my sleeping bag. Through the years I've used boots as a pillow which usually keeps them from freezing solid, or on real cold nights I've heated water just before bed, had a cup of hot chocolate, then filled two water bottles with hot water, placed each in a heavy wool sock, and set one inside each boot. This usually kept the boots from freezing solid overnight.

If you fail to keep you boots from freezing, you will have to just force your feet into the frozen boots, then 15 minutes after starting to hike you'll need to stop to adjust your boot lacing (once the boots thaw). We used to just plan this and referred to it as out "boots break".

I don't own any right now, but will second the plug for Vasque Sundowners. I've gone through two pair of these, and will probably buy another. They were the most comfortable leather boots I've used. Right now I have some cheap HighTek fabric boots that I use for winter day hikes, but if I were planning an extended winter hike, I would probably get some Sundowners.

hnryclay
11-11-2008, 11:17
hnryclay, what size do you need I have a pair of the asolo that might fit that are all but brand new. They have 2 days on the AT from Springer to Neels gap.

10.5 regular

woodsy
11-11-2008, 11:29
Lyle:I never liked taking wet boots into my sleeping bag.The water bottle trick is one clever way to keep them from freezing , when in a pinch, boots wrapped in a plastic bag placed in foot of sleeping bag will also work with little extra effort, if you can spare the room. I, like most people, would not bring wet boots in sleeping bag without first wrapping them in something :rolleyes:

Geo.
11-13-2008, 06:16
So far I have narrowed my shopping to three choices the Lowa Banff (http://www.rei.com/product/719739), Asolo TPS 535 (http://www.rei.com/product/694262), and the Vasque Summit. (http://www.rei.com/product/764062)

Hello Hnryclay,
Don't think you'd go far wrong with the Asolo's. They are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever owned and have tested them over many miles and conditions. I currently wear the TPS 535's. (wide fit) Never bothered with the gortex lined models, figuring my feet are going to get wet eventually regardless of the lining, so maybe the added cost isn't that worth it. I believe gortex has to be pretty well clean to be effective anyhow, and that could be a problem for footwear at times.
Good luck!

JAK
11-13-2008, 10:42
Winter footwear is pretty complicated when you think about all the different conditions, and that you might get many extremes on the same trip. It is true that snow shoes are best for deep powder and sometimes for wet swampy snow also, but sometimes you have to be prepared for that stuff even if you have good reason not to take snow shoes. Skis are great for open lakes and big rivers and some trails also, but not for typical rugged rocky icy trails. I think trail runners are often best for rugged rocky icy trails, with some sort of ice grippers on some sections. I'm thinking of making some light gators out of light nylon rain pant legs. Maybe the elastic cuffs at the top and sew the legs directly onto the trail runners. In winter it is sometimes a good idea to replace the rubber insole with a good felt insole, and make sure you can loosen the laces up enough for thick wool socks, even two thick layers when needed. Not neccessarrily two layers, but two layers when neccessary. Neoprene socks are a good option when you are trudging through trails that are icewater ditches. Thick wool layers are best in extreme cold conditions where the moisture is coming from the inside. I think trail runners can be adapted to most conditions if they can be adjusted to fit well with either single thin layer for clear trails on warm fast days, and two or at least 1.5 thick layers on long slow trudges. It's often easier to lace down an oversized trail runner than to make room in a snug trail runner. It's the toe box that is usually most limiting.

Weldman
11-13-2008, 23:55
HnryClay,

The Hi-tec boots do work in the Snow( day use only , Sorels for overnights), Last year I started snowshoeing. I purchased the Hi-tec Altitude IV and then heat the leather with a hairdryer, applied Sno-seal. They worked great with a good pair of gaiters. Not one drop of snow or moisture leak through.