PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum v. Carbon

2009ThruHiker
11-07-2008, 21:13
YOur Thoughts on Aluminum vs. Carbon when it comes to trekking poles...
Aluminum bends...Carbon shatters.... Experiences???

mechanic.mike
11-07-2008, 21:21
How about titanium? Lighter, smaller, and stronger than aluminum, but of course very pricey. I love my ti. leki poles. I have no experience with carbon fiber hiking poles, but when carbon fiber fails it does seem to explode.

trouthunter
11-07-2008, 21:28
You should be fine with either kind under normal use, just like any other piece of gear.

trouthunter
11-07-2008, 21:32
I second Picasso, the map feature that lets people see where the pic was taken really tips the scale for me.

2009ThruHiker
11-07-2008, 21:32
what do u consider normal use? an AT Thru -hike? Or less daily wear and tear?

trouthunter
11-07-2008, 21:35
I second Picasso, the map feature that lets people see where the pic was taken really tips the scale for me.

HAHa, I closed a tab I guess, wrong thread.
My bad.

trouthunter
11-07-2008, 21:42
what do u consider normal use? an AT Thru -hike? Or less daily wear and tear?

Well, yes I would consider everyday use on the AT normal use.

I have done a lot of southern sections, I don't consider the AT to be either rugged or challenging based on my experience, maybe the northern sections are more challenging.

Go do the Blue Wall area (Blue Ridge Escarpment), or the Cumberland Plateau Escarpment area and you will see the difference.

Like I said, maybe the northern sections are tougher, but I don't see any reason to be too concerned.

Egads
11-07-2008, 21:58
5 ounces of carbon for me baby:D

Jim Adams
11-08-2008, 01:49
4' of rebar...doesn't bend or shatter!

geek

Summit
11-08-2008, 08:45
By experience, my first trekking poles were carbon and one broke on the first hike when I fell due to a log I stepped on breaking. When I took them back to REI, the sales guy said they had a lot of returns on the carbon ones breaking, and he personally recommended the slightly heavier aluminum ones.

I've got a couple hundred miles on my REI Summit ones now and am extremely pleased with them. They were also half the price of the carbon ones I initially purchased. The few extra ounces do not fatigue my arms at all.

garlic08
11-08-2008, 09:21
Good question. To my complete and utter surprise, my REI carbon poles lasted for my through hike this year. I found them on sale and thought I'd give them a try, and had my titanium poles for backup, but they actually made it. I also heard of many stories of carbon poles shattering when wedged in rock or on falls. Whenever I saw someone using them, I'd ask and they usually had a story. They survived a couple of good falls in ME.

Some folks have problems with the joints sliding. I never had that problem.

Would I recommend them? For a through hike, definitely. I think the light weight was worth it, for me. If you're a die-hard dirtbagger, no way, they're way too expensive. And they're probably not worth it for day hikes or sections, again, too expensive.

Phreak
11-08-2008, 10:14
Carbon is the way to go, imo.

Quoddy
11-08-2008, 13:18
How about titanium? Lighter, smaller, and stronger than aluminum, but of course very pricey. I love my ti. leki poles. I have no experience with carbon fiber hiking poles, but when carbon fiber fails it does seem to explode.
If you'll check the Leki site, you'll find that the material in each version of the Leki Ti poles is actually Aluminum 7075. Great marketing idea, but more than a bit deceptive.

I've been using TiGoat adjustable CF poles at 6.4oz per pair since they were first introduced (actually had the very first pair ever produced commercially).

slow
11-08-2008, 22:31
If you'll check the Leki site, you'll find that the material in each version of the Leki Ti poles is actually Aluminum 7075. Great marketing idea, but more than a bit deceptive.

I've been using TiGoat adjustable CF poles at 6.4oz per pair since they were first introduced (actually had the very first pair ever produced commercially).

IT is great that you talk about ....YOU and YOUR gear...BUT ,does it hold UP?:-?

Quoddy
11-08-2008, 23:03
IT is great that you talk about ....YOU and YOUR gear...BUT ,does it hold UP?:-?
The main point, in case you missed it, was that Leki "Titanium" are aluminum. But yes, my CF poles are going strong after well over 1000 miles in the Whites, the Greens, and the Adirondacks. I doubt that I'd ever consider going back to the "heavies".

slow
11-08-2008, 23:58
The main point, in case you missed it, was that Leki "Titanium" are aluminum. But yes, my CF poles are going strong after well over 1000 miles in the Whites, the Greens, and the Adirondacks. I doubt that I'd ever consider going back to the "heavies".

What poles?

Haiku
11-09-2008, 02:17
I've snapped a Leki Ti pole as well, so it doesn't have to be carbon fiber to break! I've also bent my poles and have been able to bend them back, so there is that. If they'd been carbon they would have broken.

Haiku.

Quoddy
11-09-2008, 09:23
What poles?
Are you referring to my CF poles? If so I gave the details in the previous post that you responded to... TiGoat adjustables (Titanium Goat brand).

BTW, I have had a set of Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec's since they first came out. I have a lot of miles on them, too. I do still use them occasionally in deep snow conditions because the CF's tend to defect, and weight in this case is a benefit. Would I recommend CF poles to everyone? No... particularly someone without significant experience using poles previously or anyone who completely abuses their sticks. I found that I place my poles with each plant, and that's easier with CF's. Although I get a lot of support from them, I use them just as much for balance and speed.

garlic08
11-09-2008, 09:36
I for one got totally sucked in by Leki's "Ti" marketing scam. I can't believe it, and I fell for it. Thanks, Quoddy, for pointing that out. I will not buy another Leki product again. I'm happier now that I got the REI carbon poles, made my Komperdell, by the way, even though it was tough finding replacement tips along the AT last summer.

Tin Man
11-09-2008, 09:47
If you break your stick, do they give you carbon credits?

Blue Jay
11-09-2008, 10:06
The best ones are made of air. Very light, inexpensive and you can use your hands for other things. You never see athletes using poles and if there were an advantage they would be. There is a reason humans stopped using their arms for propulsion, millions of years ago. If you have knee pain try shorter distance, slower speed or less weight (get rid of pole weight). When you break your leg you don't use crutches forever. Granted pole scream "I AM A HIKER" and they sure look cool.:eek:

mudhead
11-09-2008, 12:38
When carbon fiber poles break, do they splinter? (Thinking sailboat mast.)

When Al or Ti poles break, do they bend?

Creepy Uncle
11-09-2008, 13:00
Leki carbon polls aren't waranteed. the aluminum polls are.

Summit
11-09-2008, 13:13
The best ones are made of air. Very light, inexpensive and you can use your hands for other things. You never see athletes using poles and if there were an advantage they would be. There is a reason humans stopped using their arms for propulsion, millions of years ago. If you have knee pain try shorter distance, slower speed or less weight (get rid of pole weight). When you break your leg you don't use crutches forever. Granted pole scream "I AM A HIKER" and they sure look cool.:eek:Why do you non-believers in trekking poles feel compelled to butt in on every discussion of pole logistics thread?

You are very unlikely to convince trekking pole users who positively have experienced the benefits of using them that their perception of those benefits is flawed. And if your family lineage sprung from apes, I guess that's your business, but mine didn't! :eek:

Summit
11-09-2008, 13:14
When carbon fiber poles break, do they splinter? (Thinking sailboat mast.)

When Al or Ti poles break, do they bend?Mine didn't splinter . . . it just snapped in half like a toothpick.

BrianLe
11-09-2008, 14:58
Deja vu ... I recall this same thread not too-o-o long ago, but maybe on another site.

I'm a believer in CF poles; I have the REI branded Komperdell poles, and thru-hiked the PCT this year with them; I guess I've put 3000 miles on them now over the last 2 - 3 three years, replaced the tips once. A couple of times I've (very) temporarily loaned them to someone else, swapping pole sets briefly so the other person can try them out. The difference is very noticeable and I'm always happy to get my own poles back. It's a bit like the old saw about a pound on your feet is like X pounds on your back. In both cases (hands and feet) it's a repetitive motion you're doing all day long.

I use one of my poles as a tent pole for my tarptent, and in fact I almost always over-extended the pole to make a longer tent pole, without problems.

I'm not denying that people break these; it might be a matter of luck, it might be that my hiking style is a little less abusive in the way that might cause breakage. I don't use pole baskets, and if the tip catches in a hole I don't blast on forward and force the pole along, but stop and back up a little to pull it out. That sort of thing.

While the adjusting mechanism on the REI CF pole might not be the best (occasional tinkering needed to get it to tighten up firmly), on the whole I'm really happy with these light, adjustable, non-shock-absorbing poles.

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle

Egads
11-09-2008, 15:19
Why do you non-believers in trekking poles feel compelled to butt in on every discussion of pole logistics thread?

You are very unlikely to convince trekking pole users who positively have experienced the benefits of using them that their perception of those benefits is flawed. And if your family lineage sprung from apes, I guess that's your business, but mine didn't! :eek:

Summit,

I'm with you on this one.

The original question is Aluminum vs Carbon, and not should I use trekking poles.

Egads

mudhead
11-09-2008, 18:01
Mine didn't splinter . . . it just snapped in half like a toothpick.

Sharp edges?

A better question is which type is safer(or more dangerous) in a "fall involving breakage." Or some thing like that. I may try them someday.

Haiku
11-09-2008, 19:12
You never see athletes using poles and if there were an advantage they would be.

Every time I go on a thru-hike I see several hundred athletes using poles.

Haiku.

Tin Man
11-09-2008, 19:40

Haiku.

Athletes and people who's knees appreciate them. :)

Aluminum is my choice. I tend to put a lot of weight on them, not that I'm heavy, I just am not very coordinated with 40 pounds on my back. Okay, I am just not very coordinated, period. :o

Summit
11-09-2008, 19:48
Sharp edges?

A better question is which type is safer(or more dangerous) in a "fall involving breakage." Or some thing like that. I may try them someday.I don't think there is any difference. I was thankful that I did not fall on my broken pole . . . that could have had serious consequences. The edges where it snapped were not sharp, but with enough momentum and force, one could impale themselves on a blunt pole. But then, I've never heard of anyone being impaled on a broken trekking pole. It's certainly possible, but the likelihood is extremely slim. In conclusion, I would say that trekking poles have saved far more people from injury than they have caused injury.

Whistler
11-09-2008, 20:21
I've put a couple thousand miles on carbon fiber poles. I eventually broke one when it got wedged in a rock, but I doubt aluminum or Ti would have survived, either. I plan to keep on buying carbon fiber poles because the lower weight is so nice.

-Mark

Summit
11-09-2008, 21:19
You never see athletes using poles and if there were an advantage they would be.
Finally, when I thru hiked in 2006, practically every single thru hiker was using trekking poles. Even the ultra light types.
DavidNHHmmm, someone's accounting isn't adding up?

Blue Jay
11-10-2008, 11:03
Why do you non-believers in trekking poles feel compelled to butt in on every discussion of pole logistics thread?

It was clearly not a question of logistics (distribution of material or personnel???). It was a question about the best type of type of material. Air is clearly the correct material for hiking poles. Your perception is not flawed merely illusionary due to peer pressure and advanced marketing.:eek:

2009ThruHiker
11-10-2008, 11:10
actually to clear this up from the original post...the question was:

aluminum vs. carbon....

not what's the best material.

Blue Jay
11-10-2008, 11:10

Haiku.

Yes there are walking races, but to call hiking the AT a walking race is just plain sad. I am aware some people compete on the AT but I doubt several hundred do so at any particular time. Most people walk.

Blue Jay
11-10-2008, 11:15
actually to clear this up from the original post...the question was:

aluminum vs. carbon....

not what's the best material.

You're correct, sorry. I withdraw air poles (although they are much lighter and cheaper).:(

Summit
11-10-2008, 12:06
It was clearly not a question of logistics (distribution of material or personnel???). It was a question about the best type of type of material. Air is clearly the correct material for hiking poles.Why don't you start a thread called "Why thousands of users are stupid and deceived by snake oil salesmen into thinking they are getting benefits from using trekking poles?" Then stay out of discussions about particulars for folks who do use them! :eek:

Your perception is not flawed merely illusionary due to peer pressure and advanced marketing.:eek:As I said in the last thread discussing pole particulars that you butted into with your "snake oil salesmen' diatribe, if you don't want to enjoy the real, tangible benefits of using trekking poles, that's great. Enjoy aching, sore knees and overly tired legs to your heart's content. But you should avoid insulting your own intelligence by claiming to know that what thousands of trekking pole users are experiencing as a result of using them is 'illusionary.' You will never convince me that my relatively 'fresh legs' at the end of a long day hiking is 'illusionary,' and I really don't care whether you ever believe that or not . . . I'm just tired of hearing it! :eek: :p

Egads
11-10-2008, 13:56
It was clearly not a question of logistics (distribution of material or personnel???). It was a question about the best type of type of material. Air is clearly the correct material for hiking poles. Your perception is not flawed merely illusionary due to peer pressure and advanced marketing.:eek:

BJ,

I was once in the no pole camp until I tried them and found my uphill speed improved, my downhill knee strain lessened, and my pack weight dropped since they are my tarp poles. I use carbon fiber from Gossamer Gear with no problems. You just need to understand they are made for compression and not bending moments.

Egads

tdilf
11-10-2008, 14:35
I love my carbon poles. My friend has aluminum and we switched for a couple miles on the AT. The biggest thing I noticed was that the carbon poles soak up the vibration on every pole plant where the aluminum poles translate the vibration right up to your hands – this is especially noticeable when hiking over rocks.

Blue Jay
11-10-2008, 21:48
..........I'm just tired of hearing it! :eek: :p

Oh, I am SOOOOOOO sorry for you and your logistics.

Blue Jay
11-10-2008, 22:07
my pack weight dropped since they are my tarp poles. Egads

YES, finally a valid reason to use poles (alum. or carbon, you:banana pick)

Egads
11-10-2008, 22:23
BJ,

I was once in the no pole camp until I tried them and found my uphill speed improved, my downhill knee strain lessened, and my pack weight dropped since they are my tarp poles. I use carbon fiber from Gossamer Gear with no problems. You just need to understand they are made for compression and not bending moments.

Egads

YES, finally a valid reason to use poles (alum. or carbon, you:banana pick)

You didn't mention the other good valid reasons to use poles

trailfoot
11-11-2008, 09:38
Just coming off a the trail this year I had aluminum and would have wished I chose the Titanium like my hiking partners had. They were MUCH lighter and well worth the extra $$. Your only talking maybe $40-80 difference but weight wise it's huge after hiking mile after mile.

Go Titanium over aluminum, sorry I don't have any experience with the carbon. So I have no comment on that front.