PDA

View Full Version : Veterans fees waived for access to parks etc.

woodsy
11-08-2008, 11:14
On Nov. 11
So, vets and members should take advantage of this well deserved
benefit.:)

Department of the Interior and Department of Agriculture Announce Waiver of Fees for Veterans and Members of U.S. Armed Forces on Veterans Day

WASHINGTON – Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced that, beginning this Veterans Day (Nov. 11), U.S. veterans, members of the U.S. armed forces and their families will be admitted free-of-charge on Veterans Day to most public lands managed by the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture.
The administrative fee waiver of entrance and/or standard amenity fees will apply annually on Veterans Day at public recreation lands managed by Interior’s National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation and Agriculture’s U.S. Forest Service.
“The fine men and women of the armed forces, both past and present, have fought to keep all Americans free,” said Kempthorne. “Allowing free admission for recreation on our public recreation lands is a small but appropriate way for us to say ‘thank you’ to these American heroes and their families. My hope is that they experience a day filled with recreational enjoyment.”
"This is one small way we can show our appreciation to the men and women who keep America and our public lands free for all to enjoy," said Johanns. "It seems only fitting that we would give our veterans free access to the National Forests and Grasslands on Veterans Day."
Both Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of Veterans Affairs R. James Nicholson applauded the announcement.
"America owes a great deal to the men and women in this country who have worn the military uniform," said Rumsfeld. "I applaud this decision to allow them a day of recreation on the day we honor them for their contributions, past and present."
“Veterans Day is a day to honor the 24 million Americans who have served this nation in the armed forces,” said Nicholson. “Waiving the usual fees for veterans on Nov. 11 shows the appreciation of the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture for our nation’s veterans. I salute Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns and the men and women of their departments for this decision that ensures veterans have the chance to appreciate the grandeur of the nation they have served.”
The announcement came during testimony on H.R. 5452, legislation introduced by U.S. Rep. Thomas M. Reynolds.
"I am proud to have fought for this initial but important change for our nation's heroes, and that my constituent Robert Kupp and all of his fellow veterans will never again have to pay an entrance fee for a national park on Veterans' Day," said Thomas M. Reynolds (R-NY). "This means America's veterans will have easier access to America's great public lands like Joshua Tree National Park in California, Isle Royale National Park in Michigan, Shiloh National Military Park in Tennessee, Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site -- which is near my home in Buffalo, New York -- and literally hundreds more federal public lands that charge an entrance fee. Today's announcement by the Departments of the Interior and Agriculture is a fitting benefit for our nation's veterans."
The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, passed by the 108th Congress, overhauled the fee system that governs the National Park System, the National Wildlife Refuge System, the National Forest System, certain public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management and recreational lands administered by the Bureau of Reclamation. The Act established a new multi-agency pass to cover entrance fees and standard amenity fees on these lands. The target rollout of the new pass is scheduled for January 2007.
The Veterans Day waiver of fees will apply annually to veterans and members of the U.S. armed forces.

adventurousmtnlvr
11-09-2008, 00:41
Being a disabled vet, I use the Golden Access Pass all year long ... but this is wonderful for the regular armed forces and vets :) Thanks for posting this :)

Feral Bill
11-09-2008, 02:32
One whole day. Wow!. I'll go dig out my DD 214.

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 03:21
should be all year.

Mrs Baggins
11-09-2008, 05:24
should be all year.

I agree. And it's a Tuesday - my husband and all of the other veterans we know (aside from our dads who are in their 70's and 80's) have to work and won't be going to any parks that day.

superman
11-09-2008, 08:05
The only place around here is an artist's homestead. The price of admission is $2.00 and I've already seen it. It's a nice gesture but it should be expanded to at least include a weekend.

KG4FAM
11-09-2008, 08:47
The only place around here is an artist's homestead. The price of admission is $2.00 and I've already seen it. It's a nice gesture but it should be expanded to at least include a weekend.Yeah, that is true. With the 11th being on a tuesday and four day passes going from sat-tues the free admission on tuesday doesn't do much for active duty folks since they would probably headed home on tuesday anyway.

superman
11-09-2008, 09:54
The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Over the past 40 years when they've given a benefit it's only because they are taking away or reducing a better benefit. :-?

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 10:09
A good friend of mine at work told me that all of the jobs that used to be held for active duty soldiers when they went over seas no longer have to be held for them.

So these guys are getting called up to duty, leaving home and family for 15 months and they come back and don't have their job anymore.

Give the guys free movie tickets too. Probably only be valid for the Monday morning Matinee.

Toolshed
11-09-2008, 10:21
A good friend of mine at work told me that all of the jobs that used to be held for active duty soldiers when they went over seas no longer have to be held for them.

So these guys are getting called up to duty, leaving home and family for 15 months and they come back and don't have their job anymore.

Give the guys free movie tickets too. Probably only be valid for the Monday morning Matinee.
You should ante up and go serve. Open up your job for a returning GI.

KG4FAM
11-09-2008, 10:31

Give the guys free movie tickets too. Probably only be valid for the Monday morning Matinee.They still have to hold a job for the Reserve/Guard folks, but it does not have to be the same exact job. I know a school teacher that went over and when he came back he did not have a teaching job, but a job evaluating school programs that sounded like it was just a waste of tax dollars. He would rather be teaching and hated the BS job that they gave him.

woodsy
11-09-2008, 11:06
I posted the article because it was the 1st i had heard of it. They did admit it is a small benefit:

"This is one small way we can show our appreciation to the men and women who keep America and our public lands free for all to enjoy," said Johanns.
Might benefit a few veterans.....

Footslogger
11-09-2008, 12:46
should be all year.

===========================

Hooah ...

'Slogger

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 12:46
You should ante up and go serve. Open up your job for a returning GI.

My uncles body just got back from vietnam 12 years ago. I told my father I wouldn't do that to him.

But thanks for the advice.

Toolshed
11-09-2008, 13:08
My uncles body just got back from vietnam 12 years ago. I told my father I wouldn't do that to him.

Told your father What? ....Wouldn't serve your country?
WEll...I guess those that serve do allow you such American luxury ......

Phreak
11-09-2008, 13:20
should be all year.
Exactly!

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 13:35
Told your father What? ....Wouldn't serve your country?
WEll...I guess those that serve do allow you such American luxury ......

What was your rank?

Toolshed
11-09-2008, 14:04
What was your rank?
What does it matter to you?

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 14:14
What does it matter to you?

Your spouting off about me not serving my country. I have helped set up care package drives for the troops and sent them to the Marines. I want to know if you've ever served.

Cuffs
11-09-2008, 14:24
Can you feel the love!?!

Bearpaw
11-09-2008, 14:27

If you didn't serve, just say you didn't serve and move on with supporting those who do. No need to try to justify not serving as a humanitarian act. You're simply in the majority of Americans nowadays.

superman
11-09-2008, 14:55
If you didn't serve, just say you didn't serve and move on with supporting those who do. No need to try to justify not serving as a humanitarian act. You're simply in the majority of Americans nowadays.

Not everyone should, not everyone could

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 15:20

Back to the topic, I said in response that our soldiers should be allowed into national parks for free all year, not on 1 inconvenient weekend in November.

I may not support the cause. I do think our soldiers get shafted these days...and always have.

mudhead
11-09-2008, 17:57
I posted the article because it was the 1st i had heard of it. They did admit it is a small benefit:

Might benefit a few veterans.....

It was good of you to post it.

woodsy
11-09-2008, 18:03
It was good of you to post it.
Gee thanks, hard to post something positive here and not have it turn into some sort of pissing match:rolleyes:

superman
11-09-2008, 18:09
Gee thanks, hard to post something positive here and not have it turn into some sort of pissing match:rolleyes:

Ya did good.:)

mudhead
11-09-2008, 18:11
Agreed.

Day length.

Pedaling Fool
11-10-2008, 00:17
Not everyone should, not everyone could
Roger That!

Bearpaw
11-10-2008, 00:18

True enough. And thank you for thinking of all veterans out there.

Gray Blazer
11-12-2008, 11:06
Way to go, Lone Woodsy.

JAK
11-12-2008, 11:09
I agree. And it's a Tuesday - my husband and all of the other veterans we know (aside from our dads who are in their 70's and 80's) have to work and won't be going to any parks that day.
It should also be a holiday. It is here.

Wolf - 23000
11-12-2008, 12:09
On Nov. 11
So, vets and members should take advantage of this well deserved
benefit.:)

Department of the Interior and Department of Agriculture Announce Waiver of Fees for Veterans and Members of U.S. Armed Forces on Veterans Day

WASHINGTON – Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced that, beginning this Veterans Day (Nov. 11), U.S. veterans, members of the U.S. armed forces and their families will be admitted free-of-charge on Veterans Day to most public lands managed by the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture.
The administrative fee waiver of entrance and/or standard amenity fees will apply annually on Veterans Day at public recreation lands managed by Interior’s National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation and Agriculture’s U.S. Forest Service.
“The fine men and women of the armed forces, both past and present, have fought to keep all Americans free,” said Kempthorne. “Allowing free admission for recreation on our public recreation lands is a small but appropriate way for us to say ‘thank you’ to these American heroes and their families. My hope is that they experience a day filled with recreational enjoyment.”
"This is one small way we can show our appreciation to the men and women who keep America and our public lands free for all to enjoy," said Johanns. "It seems only fitting that we would give our veterans free access to the National Forests and Grasslands on Veterans Day."
Both Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of Veterans Affairs R. James Nicholson applauded the announcement.
"America owes a great deal to the men and women in this country who have worn the military uniform," said Rumsfeld. "I applaud this decision to allow them a day of recreation on the day we honor them for their contributions, past and present."
“Veterans Day is a day to honor the 24 million Americans who have served this nation in the armed forces,” said Nicholson. “Waiving the usual fees for veterans on Nov. 11 shows the appreciation of the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture for our nation’s veterans. I salute Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns and the men and women of their departments for this decision that ensures veterans have the chance to appreciate the grandeur of the nation they have served.”
The announcement came during testimony on H.R. 5452, legislation introduced by U.S. Rep. Thomas M. Reynolds.
"I am proud to have fought for this initial but important change for our nation's heroes, and that my constituent Robert Kupp and all of his fellow veterans will never again have to pay an entrance fee for a national park on Veterans' Day," said Thomas M. Reynolds (R-NY). "This means America's veterans will have easier access to America's great public lands like Joshua Tree National Park in California, Isle Royale National Park in Michigan, Shiloh National Military Park in Tennessee, Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site -- which is near my home in Buffalo, New York -- and literally hundreds more federal public lands that charge an entrance fee. Today's announcement by the Departments of the Interior and Agriculture is a fitting benefit for our nation's veterans."
The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, passed by the 108th Congress, overhauled the fee system that governs the National Park System, the National Wildlife Refuge System, the National Forest System, certain public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management and recreational lands administered by the Bureau of Reclamation. The Act established a new multi-agency pass to cover entrance fees and standard amenity fees on these lands. The target rollout of the new pass is scheduled for January 2007.
The Veterans Day waiver of fees will apply annually to veterans and members of the U.S. armed forces.

Wow!!! This is truely great NEWS!!! Being active duty, I can get into parks for FREE!!! I can think of several parks I love to see ... wait a second. I'm half way around the world. Maybe in 2010.

Everyone else, truely have a great time. I'll get there one day.

Wolf

superman
11-12-2008, 12:15
It was a good Veteran's Day. I drove over to Farmington, NH and visited the grave of my Operations Officer in Vietnam. He's also on a monument in West Point kind of across the river from the Greymore Friary. Admission is free at both places.