PDA

View Full Version : Tent Pole Repair???

STEVEM
11-08-2008, 16:31
I have a tent that's maybe 7-8 years old. It hasn't been used much so it's still in good condition and serves me just fine for a day or two now and then.

I'm planning a weekend trip soon and set up my tent just to make sure that it was ok before packing it.

The two poles are each made from (11) 12" long aluminum sections with a shock cord knotted to the aluminum tips that thread into each end. probably due to age the shock cord either dried out or stretched so that it no longer holds the pole sections together.

Has anyone replaced the shock cord on poles like this? Can I buy elastic cord like this at a place like Home Depot or do I need to look somewhere else? How do I figure out how long to make the cord since it must have enough tension to hold the pole segments together yet must be slack enough to allow the poles to be easily folded.

mudhead
11-08-2008, 19:02
I got shock cord at an outfitter geared toward kayaks. Not a close by store.

Campmor sells it.

I had to do the trial and error length method. 3 adjustments. If I did it again, I would start by removing the old cord, to get a better estimate of length. I would again cut it long and then adjust it. 4 hands might make it easier.

I would also again buy extra shock cord, in case, as the shop was 2 hours away, and the stuff is wicked handy.

Eyeball or take your poles with. Differing thicknesses are available, and you might get lucky-the guy who cuts it for you, might enjoy messing with stuff like that.

brotheral
11-08-2008, 20:47
I have to replace the shockcord in my Family tent. (SD Nomad 5) Campmor has a Texsport Shockcord kit with 45' of cord for about $3.49. I went to JoAnne Fabrics today and bought 60' of 1/8 inch cord for .49 a yard. A bit more expensive, but I wanted it NOW. I'll just play with the tension until I get it right. It's not "Rocket Science". I'll bet even Jack Tarlin could do it :eek: !! Just kidding Jack... I miss some of the "debates" that used to go on here....
BrotherAL :-?

Tipi Walter
11-08-2008, 21:57
The old stretched cord could probably still be used, just cut off some of the excess. BUT DON'T CUT IT UNTIL YOU PULL UP THE SLACK. In other words, pull the end pole plug out, way out, put a brick or something on the cord, untie and pull tight, cut and tie the tight end onto the end plug and insert back into pole end. Voila, tight poles.

If you use new shock cord, you'll have to waste a bit of it since all of it has to thread thru all the poles first before pulling tight and cutting. After cutting, place a brick on the cord by the bottom pole and tie onto the end plug. If the cut cords slips and goes back thru the poles, well, you'll have to start over with a longer cord.

Doctari
11-09-2008, 13:14
Yea, my first time I pulled out the old stuff, measured the new & "cut to length" Nightmare putting the too short cord in, I finally managed by putting it in the first section, stretching it as long as it would go, then in the next section, repete till done. I was left with about 3" once it was all said & done, but a 10 minute job turned into a 45 minute hassel. The 2nd set was a snap, in fact it's how I know it should have been a 10 minute easy job.

If you use new shock cord, you'll have to waste a bit of it since all of it has to thread thru all the poles first before pulling tight and cutting. After cutting, place a brick on the cord by the bottom pole and tie onto the end plug. If the cut cords slips and goes back thru the poles, well, you'll have to start over with a longer cord.

STEVEM
11-09-2008, 18:26
The old stretched cord could probably still be used, just cut off some of the excess. BUT DON'T CUT IT UNTIL YOU PULL UP THE SLACK. In other words, pull the end pole plug out, way out, put a brick or something on the cord, untie and pull tight, cut and tie the tight end onto the end plug and insert back into pole end. Voila, tight poles.

I feel like Homer Simpson..... DOH!!!

Took you advise and restretched the old cord. I had to shorten each cord by about 4ft, and retie the new knot several times to find the correct length. There's only an inch or two difference between being too loose to hold the poles together and too tight to allow the poles to be folded.

I'm not sure I trust this method as a long term repair, but I know it will work fine until my next shopping expedition to Campmor.

Pedaling Fool
11-16-2009, 14:08
I just set up my tent and found my poles will not compress together due to loss of elasticity in the shock cord, not only has it lost it's springiness, but it's hard and brittle like someone has taken a lighter along it.

Anyone have an estimate of about how many inches of 1/8" shock cord to every foot of tent pole? My shock cord is now actually longer than the poles.

brotheral
11-16-2009, 15:26
I just measure the length of the pole and buy a little longer than that. Once you string it through, you can stretch it to a workable tension and knot it. Make sure it's not too tight to fold up the sections. I guess storing poles partially assembled extends life of the cord. :)

Pedaling Fool
11-16-2009, 17:02
...I guess storing poles partially assembled extends life of the cord. :)
I had the same thought as I was looking at the lines. I was thinking maybe I'll just untie the line from one pole-end for long-term storage. Both my outfitters don't have any in stock, but Ace Hardware has some stuff for 50 cents per foot.

brotheral
11-16-2009, 17:09
I had the same thought as I was looking at the lines. I was thinking maybe I'll just untie the line from one pole-end for long-term storage. Both my outfitters don't have any in stock, but Ace Hardware has some stuff for 50 cents per foot.
I bought 1/8 " at a fabric store, JoAnne Fabrics, for $.49 a YARD !! Ace price is way too high !!

brotheral
11-16-2009, 17:11
I bought 1/8 " at a fabric store, JoAnne Fabrics, for $.49 a YARD !! Ace price is way too high !!
May even find it at WalMart in camping or Fabric department..

STEVEM
11-16-2009, 17:43
I finally fixed my tent poles by replacing the cord using a kit I purchased at Campmor. I think the kit was about $5.00 and had plenty of cord to fix both of my poles. Restretching the old cord doesn't work for long.

I found that it was best to cut the cord long and assemble and disassemble the poles a few times before you trim the cord to it's final length.

Interestingly, there was a warning label with the cord kit that it causes cancer in California. Guess I won't use my tent there.

mudhead
11-16-2009, 18:20
I found that it was best to cut the cord long and assemble and disassemble the poles a few times before you trim the cord to it's final length.
Thanks for a clever tip!

Interestingly, there was a warning label with the cord kit that it causes cancer in California. Guess I won't use my tent there.

Everything is known to the State of California to cause cancer.:)

Probably shouldn't lick that shock cord anymore than necessary.

Pedaling Fool
11-16-2009, 19:37
I didn't buy the cord at Ace Hardware, kinda felt I could get it cheaper. I saw a pole repair kit at one of the outfitters, but it only had a 10 foot roll. Each of my poles are 12 ft long. I'll check Wal-mart tomorrow.

RedneckRye
11-17-2009, 00:24
I didn't buy the cord at Ace Hardware, kinda felt I could get it cheaper. I saw a pole repair kit at one of the outfitters, but it only had a 10 foot roll. Each of my poles are 12 ft long. I'll check Wal-mart tomorrow.

How much do you save if you figure gas money and time into the equation?

Pedaling Fool
11-17-2009, 10:40
Ace is ~1 mile away. Bicycle my primary form of transportation.