PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Hike thru with dog, (partially solo)

Flatlands Girl
11-08-2008, 19:19
Well, I have the need to do this hike and have started my research on the AT. I only have a few questions and would appreciate advise and information from the ladies who have done this before or may be in the planning phase as well. I am 33 and will be thru hiking the AT with my dog, Bailey, in 2010. I am aware of the dog restrictions through GSMN and I am able to have her stay with some local friends there. Baxter is another story (here come the questions), how long is the average trip through Baxter? Also, my other (human) companion is a Captain down in FL and will only be beginning the trail with me, on it for 2 weeks, then back to work for 2 weeks, continue, continue, continue...basically, I will be without him for 1/2 the trip, which leads me to question 2...is the trail pretty safe? I have heard that there are 1000's of travelers and you will rarely find yourself alone, which is great, I just want to know if anyone has travelled this alone, and if so, has there been any problems? I will be tent/hammocking the whole way and will not be using any hostels or the like because of my furry friend (besides, I would rather camp out anyhow).
Also, ( question 3), are there any females out there who have done this with a dog? I have read through all the posts and will continue to read them, I know the trail etiquette, leash, clean up mindful of others, etc... I just want to know if anyone had anything more to add? Most of the replies were from angry hikers not wanting dogs on the trail, I am sorry, but I will feel much safer with her by my side. She is a Beagle/Basset mix and loves hiking as much as I do. I guess that wraps it up...If anyone could offer any further advice on planning, packing, dog friendly towns, etc..that would be great... I have plenty of time to plan...thanks!!

BumpJumper
11-08-2008, 21:48
Welcome Flatlander!
You will find lots of helpful people on here. I know there are several on here that hike alone, with dogs and have lots of good advise.

Blissful
11-10-2008, 11:05
You're gonna wanna be in hostels, etc at times - camping will get old real fast day after day and when the weather is bad too. Check with those that do accept pets. But be sure you do want to bring your dog and have considered the pros and cons, both for you and the dog - it can be a tough thing along with hiking a tough trail. I have seen pets injured too from the trail with lots of rocks, etc. Check out the dog forum for helpful ideas and from those who have thru hiked with a pet.

Baxter can be done in two days if you are NOBO. First day to drop off pet and hike to the Birches shelter area. The 2nd day to hike Katahdin.

The main thing about hiking is to be smart and trust your instincts. Watch road crossings, people you meet. Don't tell people your itinerary, even other hikers (unless it is someone you have gotten to know well). Don't camp near road crossings or heavily travelled areas. Carry a cell phone. Never hitch alone. With the many hikers on the trail, you will pick up hiking companions along the way.

Frau
11-10-2008, 20:47
My dog tore up his pads in just 4 hours going up the Priest. I met a NOBOer two years ago who had just picked his Labrador back up and in two days from the Daleville outfitters, the dog had already gone through the leather trail boots the owner had gotten to help cure the dog's split pad.

I am all for hiking with dogs, I certainly take mine. Just be aware of the potential pad problems, lack of water in some places and the dilemma of who carries the dog food (I do of course!).

Good luck,

Frau

karoberts
11-10-2008, 21:58
My dog and I hiked solo last summer and had no issues with paw problems or anything else. We stayed in hostels and hotels (many allow dogs). I never felt unsafe on the trail except for the bears and porcupines (my poor dog got porcupine quills in his nose in NJ). We didn't meet any weirdos and we did hitchhike. My dog stayed on leash AT ALL TIMES while hiking and NEVER stayed in a shelter.

Our biggest problems were wet dog in the tent when it rained and weight loss.

We met several hiking beagles last summer (Including Jenny, a 10 year old hiking beagle).

bfitz
11-11-2008, 11:51
The trail is 10 times safer than whatever town you live in...check the statistics. If your dog is obedient and doesn't bark at people or steal their food and does not need to be on the leash then your only issue will be setting a pace that is agreeable to both you and the dog. I've seen some people who seem to be pushing their dogs harder than I thought was appropriate, putting their schedule ahead of the dogs well being. If your dog barks, or likes people a bit too much, or needs to be on a leash to keep it from misbehaving or running away or chasing critters, then you might want to think twice, because people who aren't dog people get real uppity about folks who bring dogs, especially dogs they consider to be annoying. You really can't keep a dog on a leash the whole time and thru-hike. It will drive you crazy.

yappy
11-11-2008, 17:30
Please, THINK before you put a dog thru this. The dog HAS to be the leader... not you, EVER. YOu do miles, breaks, town stops etc according to how your dog is doing NOT you. I know this sounds pretty basic but i have seen over and OVER again hikers dragging thier dogs down the trail. Also, there is'nt a dog in the world that wants to be on a leash ALL the time. Cruel. Dogs need to run and play. They also need ALOT of sleep to do the miles. I live in Alaska and the general train of thought is about 12 hrs of sleep after a long run.

I hiked with Lulu on the Pct. She always came first. it was very simple.. I hike cuz I love it she hikes cuz I do. i carried all of her gear... she did alot better that way and it still kicked her butt. I stayed in hotels ..not hostels... so she could SLEEP while I did chores. A wild beating heart is way more imprtant then ANY agenda I have on a trail. That is my rule every time I take her out. When she is done then so am I.

wolf
11-11-2008, 21:17
Give The Dog Break, Keep Him Home Ive Seen Dogs Get Messed Up On Trail So Dont Do It Please

Mountain Gal
11-11-2008, 21:55
Hi Flatlands Girl
I hope that this doesn't become a pro/con hiking with the dog thread! Here is a link to a great journal about a through hike that was done by a woman AND her dog. Maybe that will give you some good information. There are other good journals out there. I met several dogs during my through hike and they seemed to be doing okay. I think the main thing is to be aware of how the dog is doing and to make sure you hike the dog's hike...
Good luck with your planning.
Katy

http://solophile.com/

bfitz
11-11-2008, 22:14
....because people who aren't dog people get real uppity about folks who bring dogs, especially dogs they consider to be annoying....See what I mean? :rolleyes:

This is one of the most controversial trail topics and self righteous know-it-alls will jump all over you for any opinion on the matter...so be prepared to see all sorts of obnoxious comments and threads as you research hiking with a dog and don't let them get to you. The critical input: Plenty of dogs thrive on the trail...but don't just assume the dog will make it if you do. As I'm sure you've already realized.

Frau
11-11-2008, 22:19
Thanks for the solophile journal link!

Frau

yappy
11-12-2008, 12:14
I do know one thing, a person who has'nt done a long hike has NO idea what they truely intail... or HOW thier dog will do. So, I hope folks pay attention to different opinions and take them to heart. I have done alot of hiking and to be honest I have seen VERY few dogs thriving on a long distance hike. Take it for what that is... the truth.

cowboy nichols
11-12-2008, 12:23
The trail is 10 times safer than whatever town you live in...check the statistics. If your dog is obedient and doesn't bark at people or steal their food and does not need to be on the leash then your only issue will be setting a pace that is agreeable to both you and the dog. I've seen some people who seem to be pushing their dogs harder than I thought was appropriate, putting their schedule ahead of the dogs well being. If your dog barks, or likes people a bit too much, or needs to be on a leash to keep it from misbehaving or running away or chasing critters, then you might want to think twice, because people who aren't dog people get real uppity about folks who bring dogs, especially dogs they consider to be annoying. You really can't keep a dog on a leash the whole time and thru-hike. It will drive you crazy.
I've hiked for over 60 years with many special canine friends .I ALWAYS keep my dogs on leash. Of course my sanity has been questioned.

yappy
11-12-2008, 12:32
I hike with my dogs as well... we go to places where they can run free. lulu was rarely on a leash on the pct or Lt. She is AWESOME company and kept me smiling even when things were'nt going so great. I just love her to death....I wish folks could be a bit more tolerant of dogs... but, esp. on the AT don't bet on it.

Marta
11-12-2008, 12:33
Some things to consider about hiking with a dog:

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/bb%20dogs.html

My personal thoughts on the subject are that you should have a backup plan for where the dog will live if it is failing to thrive on the Trail, and you want to continue hiking.

Slo-go'en
11-12-2008, 12:41
Lots of hikers start the trail with a dog. Very, very, very few finish with a dog. A thru-hiker with a dog who came all the way from Springer is a very rare sight here in New England. The chances of you finishing a thru hike starting out with a dog are very small.

That being said, it seems smaller dogs do fair better than bigger dogs. Flatlands Girl's Beagle might make it a goodly ways up the trail. But most of the Beagles I've known like to howl a lot and chase rabbits. That can be annoying!

yappy
11-12-2008, 12:42
I agree Marta, folks NEED to have a plan if the dog is'nt doing well. That can be hard if they don't live near the trail or know anyone that might take an animal in for an extended period of time.... not to mention love the dog and want to spend alot of time with him or her.

yappy
11-12-2008, 12:43
yeah, small dogs do seem to do better.. as long as they don't carry much wgt.... a howling beagle.. yeah, THAT should go over well !..lol.. I LOVE beagles though.. always wanted one.

bfitz
11-13-2008, 02:22
I've hiked for over 60 years with many special canine friends .I ALWAYS keep my dogs on leash. Of course my sanity has been questioned.Yeah, I guess I meant more that it would be more inconvenient if the dog's behavior gets on the nerves of other hikers, leashed or not. Benefit to a leash...you might get a tow-assist from the dog on those uphills.;)

WishIWereHiking
11-13-2008, 10:19
Couple of things...

First of all, the trail is very safe. I feel safer in the wilderness than I do in the city where I live (Atlanta). Just be mindful of the usual common sense things. Make sure you know first aid not only for yourself, but for your dog. Do carry a cell phone (often you can get a signal atop ridges). Like another hiker said, don't camp close to road crossings and don't tell people you don't know your schedule or where you plan to sleep. This isn't just lady stuff...everyone should be cautious. If you hitch alone, do NOT get in the car if you have even 1% feeling that it's a bad situation. Just tell them politely that you forgot something at camp and thank you anyway and walk away. The staggering majority of people are decent, good people but there are some creeps out there. You know all of this already.

I used to hike alone all the time but, after my beloved golden mix passed away, I have not. I just feel better with him with me to warn me of snakes and to scare off creepy types. I will be doing a solo hike this December sans dog and it will be the first time ever that I will be totally alone (no companion furry or otherwise) and I am excited about it. I've never thru-hiked with a dog but I am friends with a guy who has taken his dog on over 600 miles of the AT and I am friends with a woman who never goes without her beautiful Akita mix. That brings me to the next point...

The only person who knows your dog's abilities is YOU. No one on this forum knows what your dog is capable of. You say she loves hiking as much as you--good! The dogs that get hurt are the ones who sit fat, lazy and happy in their home for 364 days out of the year then try to go hiking for 10-15 miles in rugged terrain and of course they get hurt! Your dog will let you know when she's tired. Listen to her and like others have said, have a bail out plan for her if she needs to quit.

Is your dog good off lead? If not, train her to recall under any circumstance. Sandy loved to chase wildlife so after some obedience training I was able to recall him if he saw anything and put his lead back on just for safe measure. He would always obey me even though I could tell he wanted to chase that deer or bunny! I can't imagine a thru with a dog on lead the whole time...that would get miserable for you both! A well trained dog won't cause problems.

If you do get tired of keeping her on lead the whole time, do put it back on to cross roads and when you're in crowded areas like shelters, make sure she knows YOU are in charge and that you're the alpha at all times and you won't have problems. Don't let her drink straight from water sources (let her carry a bowl) and make sure you get a little pack for her to carry her own food, first aid and a bowl. Wet dog in a shelter can get really icky--so if you can have her carry a camp towel and a brush that will do wonders. Teach her to walk beside you along the trail and command her to sit/lay when a group or small kids pass you by on the trail.

One more thing to mention because I know there are so many people out there who are hostile towards dogs. I do not ever advocate people taking their dogs off lead who are not able to control their dogs. If you cannot teach your dog to recall, sit, stay and lay with precision, don't let them off lead. Ever.

Hope this helps and sorry that it's so long! I'd be happy to talk more about this if you'd like to PM me. I miss my Sandy greatly and I enjoy talking about these things because it is nice to remember the fond memories I have of hiking with him.

dradius
11-13-2008, 11:01
my only 2 cents to add is I would definitely take your dog on some long 10+ mile hikes if you haven't already to make sure s/he is up for it. I have a beagle/basset mix and she gets totally worn out after a 8 or 9 mile day hike, let alone the AT.

Blissful
11-13-2008, 15:25
I think it is important to note that there are places perhaps a short legged dog might have problems (and I have a beagle too and took her for some miles in NY). Like the trail up in New England. Sure you may know your dog and she might like walking on a trail for a few miles, but you may not know what kind of terrain you are dealing with unless you have done it. Can they handle the terrain of Whites and southern Maine? Even some places in the south can be hard. And the tons of rocks in PA. Stuff to consider. Check out my gallery for some of the terrain shots.

Bigglesworth
11-21-2008, 23:28
Well, I have the need to do this hike and have started my research on the AT. I only have a few questions and would appreciate advise and information from the ladies who have done this before or may be in the planning phase as well. I am 33 and will be thru hiking the AT with my dog, Bailey, in 2010. I am aware of the dog restrictions through GSMN and I am able to have her stay with some local friends there. Baxter is another story (here come the questions), how long is the average trip through Baxter? Also, my other (human) companion is a Captain down in FL and will only be beginning the trail with me, on it for 2 weeks, then back to work for 2 weeks, continue, continue, continue...basically, I will be without him for 1/2 the trip, which leads me to question 2...is the trail pretty safe? I have heard that there are 1000's of travelers and you will rarely find yourself alone, which is great, I just want to know if anyone has travelled this alone, and if so, has there been any problems? I will be tent/hammocking the whole way and will not be using any hostels or the like because of my furry friend (besides, I would rather camp out anyhow).
Also, ( question 3), are there any females out there who have done this with a dog? I have read through all the posts and will continue to read them, I know the trail etiquette, leash, clean up mindful of others, etc... I just want to know if anyone had anything more to add? Most of the replies were from angry hikers not wanting dogs on the trail, I am sorry, but I will feel much safer with her by my side. She is a Beagle/Basset mix and loves hiking as much as I do. I guess that wraps it up...If anyone could offer any further advice on planning, packing, dog friendly towns, etc..that would be great... I have plenty of time to plan...thanks!!

I thru hiked this year as a solo hiker, and at age 33. Here's my two cents, sorry its lengthy:

From Abol Bridge (your road after 100 mile wilderness, and right before Baxter), it is one day to the Birches where you will stay, and the next day summit (so 2 days total). I know there is a reputable dog boarder near there, but I don't know the name.

My opinion is that the trail is generally very safe (most murderer/rapist types don't hike deep into the woods, of course ther are a few horrible cases when they have). Watch your gear in towns. Be alert at road crossings. Generally use common sense and listen to your intuition - always be willing to hike on if something doesn't "feel" right. I only did this twice my whole hike, and it probably wasn't necessary. You will find yourself around others, groups do tend to form naturally, so even solo hikers are rarely alone, unless they choose to be.

You will probably find yourself wanting to be in hostels, etc. occasionally, and some do allow dogs, so may try to do some research there. My general thoughts on dogs: know that you will have a harder time on your hike due to your responsibility to care for the dog (often over your own care), and know this is very hard on the dogs. I've seen a couple successful dogs, but more unsuccessful. You may consider a "plan b" for the dog if you find it just won't work. Do make sure your dog is well-disciplined. Never let it in a shelter or near anyones gear (my opinion, but one generally shared by thru hikers, and I'm a dog lover). Make sure you can control your dog in all situations, including with wildlife, barking, begging, etc. If you can't control the dog, don't bring the dog. I hope I don't sound harsh, but that sums up why many people don't like dogs on the trail - most aren't properly controlled. A note, I had more problems with "weekenders'" dogs, as their owners proclaimed they were friendly as the unleashed dogs showed their teeth and cornered me a couple times - friendly dogs become unfriendly when around bad smelling and bad looking hikers with bulky packs. Another thing about leashing. Very few thru hikers with dogs kept them leashed in most areas to be honest, but these dogs generally were trained to stay right at their owners heels. Get others opinions on this one, but I think it may be unrealistic to think that you'll be able to stand walking the dog on the leash the whole time (even though that is "officially" how you are told to do it). So you'll need to ask yourself if your dog is trained to follow you (physically) and your commands. These are my observations - I did not bring my dog, and that was heartbreaking. I just didn't think either of us could handle it.

yappy
12-13-2008, 16:41
excellent post biggleworth .. the 1 thing I would say also is ask you DOG if he or she wants to be on a freaking leash for 2100 miles. The answer is obvious. Dogs need to run and play and go a whole lot faster then 2 miles an hour. That is one of the things that really bugs me. Lulu was rarely on a leash. I would have HATED to have to do that to her. I learned alot hiking with a dog and had a terrific time.. She was awesome ! The big lesson for me is that I hike becuz I love it she hikes becuz I do. That is a big difference. I am pretty sure if she could have told me she might have said " I'd rather hangout on the couch, thanks. " She was the leader of the walk she just did'nt know it. I stopped when she was tired, she ate treats when I did and she stayed on plenty of pillows while I did town stuff. Make sure you are taking your dog for the right reasons and that she is very well taken care of.