Egads
11-08-2008, 21:04
Such disappointing news

dan8794
11-08-2008, 21:05
Bummer!

Bulldawg
11-08-2008, 21:06
Yeah, he is so much more real than that other dude Bear Grylls. I like them both. In fact I really liked Survivorman that was on last night. He went out for a day hike in the Sierra Nevada (like 30 or 40 miles if it were you guys Phreak and Egads) and simulated getting lost. Good info if you hike in that area.

slow
11-08-2008, 21:46
B.G. did the big E...

adventurousmtnlvr
11-09-2008, 00:11
gee, I just watched another re-run today in fact. I was hoping something will stick if I watch it enough, lol. I'll miss him for SURE. But I understand ... it's rough on the insides of a body and him being a family man has more to be concerned with than only himself. I'll keep watching the old shows though as I pick up interesting things all the time. I liked that he would try stuff he'd heard of but not tried ... and try it live on TV. Didn't always work, but he tried anyway and had backup ways of doing things which is cool.

Mrs Baggins
11-09-2008, 05:50
Drat. We really loved the guy. We watch Bear Grylls but knowing how he goes to hotels and always has a camera man and all along takes a lot away from it. Plus he just gets way too melodramatic.

strates
11-09-2008, 06:05
This is definitely disappointing news, but hell, if he does as the article says and follows the tracks of the original trail blazers, that'll be cool too.

f8lranger4x4
11-09-2008, 07:39
this sucks

neighbor dave
11-09-2008, 07:41
{quote}; "You can only do seven days surviving without food a certain number of times a year. I'm pleased with what I have done, I've been copied around the world, but 25 times I've not eaten anything for a week while sleeping on rocks. I need to move on." {quote}

:-?dudes hardcore to the bone!:-?

daddytwosticks
11-09-2008, 10:22
Bummer! I know many people have beat up on Survivorman and the other Bear dude with the accent...however, I've always found them both entertaining plus I usually learn something new each episode. I guess it will just be the Bear dude who survives. :)

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 10:22
This is definitely disappointing news, but hell, if he does as the article says and follows the tracks of the original trail blazers, that'll be cool too.

I like that idea as well. It's dissappointing but at least we get one last season. I'm downloading the Sierra Nevadas episode right now...can't wait to watch it.

And really, how many more situations can he put himself in before they start to get redundant. 3 seasons was a great run for him. Let's see him go and do Everest, THAT would be great.

"When you can't, live vicariously"

Lion King
11-09-2008, 12:39
...anyone got The Science/Discovery channels home phone number?:D

Doctari
11-09-2008, 12:53
Sad!

I watch Les to learn :)

I watch Bear hoping to see serious bodily injury :p

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 13:37
Just watched that Sierra Nevadas episode. I thought he gave a lot of really good advice with regards to search and rescue operations. Cant believe he left the tent behind though, crazy SOB:D

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 13:38
Sad!

I watch Les to learn :)

I watch Bear hoping to see serious bodily injury :p

Ditto. Like when he makes vine harnesses and scales a 60 foot waterfall. Could have been the last episode:rolleyes: Live and dream folks.

JaxHiker
11-09-2008, 17:55
Damn. Just as season 3 starts he calls it quits. I can't stomach Man vs "Wild".

Bulldawg
11-09-2008, 17:59
I watch man vs wild for the entertainment value, like maybe he'll snap one of these vine ropes he is using to climb up this 100' ravine right now.

Poison
11-09-2008, 19:14
This stinks. I agree Man vs. Wild is pretty staged. One of my favorite episodes in Survivorman is the Boreal Forest in Ontario in Autumn. It was just on today actually. It sort of reminds me of the AT in Maine.

Sad news but you have to understand his decision.

Homer&Marje
11-09-2008, 20:32
Completely understandable decision. Who wants to take a week of starving themselves too many times?

Favorite episode was the plane crash scenario...boy he looked cold:D

WILLIAM HAYES
11-09-2008, 21:16
Bear acts like an idiot diving in streams running down mountains etc -not a good example of good survival skills he is more of a melodramatic actor Stroud was more real will miss his show .

Jim Adams
11-09-2008, 22:04
Bear is one anxiety attack after another...I guess panic can be entertaining.
Les is the real thing!

geek

LaxLarry18
11-10-2008, 08:44
BUMMER, That is one of my favorite shows. Can't blame him for wanting a break though.

Nicksaari
11-10-2008, 16:12
rats! i was hoping he would do a show on surviving the AT in any section.
that would be a hoot.

but i respect his decision.
bear grylls is a tool.
maybe les will move on to something equally as cool as survivorman. ive always got both seasons on my E drive. the newest episode is already on file sharing sites, so that means that the ensuing episodes will most likely leak. THANK GOD FOR UTORRENT

flemdawg1
11-10-2008, 16:59
rats! i was hoping he would do a show on surviving the AT in any section.
that would be a hoot.

Except for 100 mile wilderness, that probably wouldn't be too tough.

jersey joe
11-10-2008, 17:20
{quote}; "You can only do seven days surviving without food a certain number of times a year. I'm pleased with what I have done, I've been copied around the world, but 25 times I've not eaten anything for a week while sleeping on rocks. I need to move on." {quote}

This quote jumped out at me. I thought being a good survivalist meant knowing how to get food and build good shelters to sleep in, not starve for a week.
I did like the idea of the show but seriously, after three seasons, I think he has covered everything.

~Ronin~
11-10-2008, 21:28
Yea I am bummed about this. I look forward to every new episode of Survivorman. Its one of the few shows that I can watch an episode over and over and not get bored, cause I always seem to pick up something I missed before. Guess you can't blame him for not wanting to continue to punish his body. I like the idea he mentioned in the article of a show following the footsteps of the great explorers. Maybe he can start on the Lewis and Clark trail.

NCYankee
11-11-2008, 09:06
I can't stand Man vs. Wild, it's just way too staged.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Yeah, Bear is the man :)

Hoop Time
11-11-2008, 13:52
Add me to the list of those who far prefer Survivorman over MvW. Not even close. Bear is too fake, too staged. Also add me to the list of those who don't blame him for moving on, as much as I'd like to see him continue the show.

Serial 07
11-11-2008, 14:19
I can't stand Man vs. Wild, it's just way too staged.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Yeah, Bear is the man :)

i was just about to add this link...bear is cool, his show is entertaining, but this is a bum out...

Timex
11-11-2008, 14:47
We're already full of Bears in New Jersey-and they're both a nuisance.

Although I would recommend Bear's book "The Kid Who Climbed Everest". He definitely did NOT stay in hotels during that episode of his life.

Sly
11-11-2008, 16:38
I've only seen one Survivorman, the Sierra episode, and thought it was complete bull****. Why would he go into the backcountry and off trail without a map and compass, or GPS? Why would he hang out 4 days honing his survivor skills rather than trying to be found. Why would he leave a mountain top and go back into the brush?

His pack was huge for an overnighter. I'll be willing to bet he ate well on this trip. I hope they send someone out to pick up the gear he left behind.

Tennessee Viking
11-14-2008, 01:06
Les should go out doing the 100 mile wilderness or 7 days on the AT with no resupply, with no more than a bag of jerky, tin cup, 1 match, and his trusty multi-tool. Only to rely on trail magic for any real food.

double d
11-14-2008, 01:24
Les always seemed like the guy next door type, while Bear is just some snake eater, always biting the heads of something (although I have seen Les eat a snake or two, but at least he cooked the damn thing).

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2008, 01:45
Rat's I was looking forward to Survival in NJ.

All kidding aside I enjoyed the shows & I understand, one can only starve onceself so many times - honestly I think his wife has had enough.

Homer&Marje
11-14-2008, 08:17
With regards to Bear Grylls, yea he is a fake. But if you were an ex special forces soldier, and they came up to you offering you a boat load of money to do some survival special on the Discovery Channel, stating you could spend every day outdoors in a new part of the world, occasionally sleeping out at night and sometimes in hotels.

I'll bet 75 % would jump at that offer.

jersey joe
11-14-2008, 09:19
Even if Bear Grylls isn't as genuine an outdoorsman as Les, he reaches more people because he is more interesting to the casual viewer. Sort of like Bryson!

Sly
11-14-2008, 09:56
With regards to Bear Grylls, yea he is a fake.

A fake what?

bpitt
11-14-2008, 11:47
Maybe he'll do a series on surviving in the south, kinda like a 'Southern Comfort' kinda show, or a 'Deliverance', now that'd be entertaining, and, I could play a role!

To you other southern people, this was meant as something humorous. You know how we are portrayed.

Homer&Marje
11-15-2008, 09:48
A fake what?

Exactly. What does he do? He has a capacity to eat nasty things, have a camera crew follow him around while he puts himself in some ridiculous situations.

halibut15
11-15-2008, 12:25
I've only seen one Survivorman, the Sierra episode, and thought it was complete bull****. Why would he go into the backcountry and off trail without a map and compass, or GPS? Why would he hang out 4 days honing his survivor skills rather than trying to be found. Why would he leave a mountain top and go back into the brush?

His pack was huge for an overnighter. I'll be willing to bet he ate well on this trip. I hope they send someone out to pick up the gear he left behind.

I agree, Sly, but Les does go out of his way to make his situation as realistic as someone who would actually get lost...and most likely someone getting lost would be overpacked but without a compass, map, or GPS. On the flip side of that coin, though, it's all entertainment in the first place. I'll miss Les either way.

I did like Bear Grylls "taming" the "wild" horses in that Sierra episode. :banana

Homer&Marje
11-15-2008, 12:44

If you watched more episodes you would realize that anything that is left behind is retrieved by a crew after he has shot the episode. And his pack was so big because he carries all of his camera equipment. He usually goes out with 50 + lbs of gear to get all of his shots.

cavedive2
11-15-2008, 13:21
episode last night was Colorado Rockies with horses could show.