PDA

View Full Version : My wife took me to Walmart

HogWinslow
11-09-2008, 00:28
So my wife made me go to Walmart with her tonight. Were in the kitchen isle and she holds up a stainless steel pot thing. It's used to keep all your egg flippers and wooden spoons in while it sits on the counter. She wanted it because it matched our kitchen. I thought it would work good as a cooking pot. It would hold at least 2 quarts and was about 4" around, no handle. My only question is that it's made of stainless. I don't see a lot of people using stainless. Do you think it would work good? It was only about $8.

Hog

Dwarftard
11-09-2008, 00:31
:welcome hi s

weary
11-09-2008, 00:35
So my wife made me go to Walmart with her tonight. Were in the kitchen isle and she holds up a stainless steel pot thing. It's used to keep all your egg flippers and wooden spoons in while it sits on the counter. She wanted it because it matched our kitchen. I thought it would work good as a cooking pot. It would hold at least 2 quarts and was about 4" around, no handle. My only question is that it's made of stainless. I don't see a lot of people using stainless. Do you think it would work good? It was only about $8. HogSure it will work, assuming it holds water. You'll have to fashion a handle and I'm guessing a cover.

But I would check its weight against other pots. And I find a broad bottom pot heats quicker and with less fuel than a narrow, tall pot.

Weary

HogWinslow
11-09-2008, 00:48
The wide bottom heating faster makes sense. And the fact that stainless does weigh a bit more really makes sense. I didn't think I could be the first person to see that thing. I think I'll stick to finding a old 1 quart pot with a lid.

Hog

Lone Wolf
11-09-2008, 12:01

:welcome hi dwarftard. was great meeting you in town today

Blissful
11-09-2008, 20:33
Stainless steel is pretty heavy. Try the "grease pot" for about the same price but better weight. K mart has it. I think Wally world discontinued them. (?)

weary
11-09-2008, 23:13
My experience is that Walmart doesn't live up to its reputation as a cheap resource.

Gimmicks and loss leaders that are mostly imported from China, tend to be mostly non essentials.

But the last time I checked denatured alcohol and many other trail essential were more expensive.

Plus my local Walmart's food prices are uniformly more expensive than my two local supermarkets. Even a local small independent, routinely beats Walmart prices -- and quality for that matter.

You need to watch the weekly specials for the Walmart competitors. That is not a real problem. I just stock up when sales are advertised. And for fresh stuff, I eat whatever is available at a fair price.

I treat supermarkets like I treat my garden. I eat whatever is in season or cheap at the moment -- and freeze or can any surplus.

Weary

Gaiter
11-10-2008, 10:52
hurry hurry hurry!!! place your bets now will this be a discussion about pots or about walmart

if it has a lip on the edge you can use a pot grabber like this http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23064 well i guess it doesn't need a lip, but the lip makes it a little easier to pick up w/ those

Lone Wolf
11-10-2008, 11:13
So my wife made me go to Walmart with her tonight. Were in the kitchen isle and she holds up a stainless steel pot thing. It's used to keep all your egg flippers and wooden spoons in while it sits on the counter. She wanted it because it matched our kitchen. I thought it would work good as a cooking pot. It would hold at least 2 quarts and was about 4" around, no handle. My only question is that it's made of stainless. I don't see a lot of people using stainless. Do you think it would work good? It was only about $8.

Hog

sure it would work. i have a 22 year pot that is stainless

flemdawg1
11-10-2008, 13:38
2 qts and 4" diameter means its very tall and slender. Get a big Foster's or Heineken can instead.

TomWc
11-10-2008, 13:52
2 qts and 4" diameter means its very tall and slender. Get a big Foster's or Heineken can instead.

Or maybe a walmart grease pot? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38463&highlight=IMUSA)

D'Artagnan
11-12-2008, 15:11
Would stainless be more or less prone to sticking/scorching?

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2008, 15:19
Actually, Weary, WalMart can be a great resource.

I just got a blaze orange hat there for around two bucks. Similar item from REI would cost 20.

And my 13 buck WalMart headlamp is going fine and works just as well as my old 40-dollar one.

Likewise, sox. I love Bridgedales, but eighteen dollars a pair is a bit much. Wal-Mart "work socks" do the job at a third the price.

This is also where I go for cheap liner sox, lightweight gloves, fleece gloves and headbands, etc.

I am a firm believer in supporting small, independent shops, especially ones on or close to the Trail, and will continue to do so for major ticket items (tents, packs, footwear, etc.) but for an awful lot of items/accessories, it's simply not necessary to spend that much money. Most folks spend a lot more on gear than they really need to.

TomWc
11-12-2008, 15:24
Likewise, sox. I love Bridgedales, but eighteen dollars a pair is a bit much. Wal-Mart "work socks" do the job at a third the price.

I just picked up a three pack of 90/10 merino/spandex "hiking socks" from sam's club for 14$. Never know what you'll find.

weary
11-12-2008, 15:39
Actually, Weary, WalMart can be a great resource.

I just got a blaze orange hat there for around two bucks. Similar item from REI would cost 20.

And my 13 buck WalMart headlamp is going fine and works just as well as my old 40-dollar one.

This is also where I go for cheap liner sox, lightweight gloves, fleece gloves and headbands, etc.

I am a firm believer in supporting small, independent shops, especially ones on or close to the Trail, and will continue to do so for major ticket items (tents, packs, footwear, etc.) but for an awful lot of items/accessories, it's simply not necessary to spend that much money. Most folks spend a lot more on gear than they really need to.
I don't disagree. Walmart has great buys on a few things. Sitting above my computer desk is genuine wood-framed clock, I bought for $7. It was made in China, of course.

I haven't found many good hiking buys at our local Walmart, however. I bought my new headlamp at Lowes for $7. I haven't really tested it on the trail. But it did light the pumpkin at the head of my driveway, ensconced in a plastic bag with a bit of foil for a reflector. The batteries still powered the red LEDs at the end of three weeks, but not the white LEDs.

Weary

mudhead
11-12-2008, 17:56
Walmarts vary and charge what the market can handle.

6 pack of Snickers is $0.50 more in Ellsworth, ME than in Brewer. @25 miles.

Expansion file folder was a buck more in Ellsworth.

Competition, or lack of.

TwistedToad
11-13-2008, 11:01
I just found in one of my local Wal-Marts Mountain House meals. They had 5 different kinds. Single meals are $4.88 double meals $5.88. I couldn't believe they are carrying them!

Nest
11-13-2008, 16:00
I just found in one of my local Wal-Marts Mountain House meals. They had 5 different kinds. Single meals are $4.88 double meals $5.88. I couldn't believe they are carrying them!

Cool, maybe it's a TN thing and mine have them. Save me a trip to REI if they do.

Ender3D
12-02-2008, 00:50

They recently appeared within the last few months at the Walmart I pass on my daily drive to/from work though the selection is quite small.

Scrapes
12-02-2008, 23:24
Originally Posted by Dwarftard http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=721946#post721946)

:welcome hi dwarftard. was great meeting you in town today

:welcomesynchronized wavers, I'm easily entertained