PDA

View Full Version : A place to start near Schuylkill Co.

Whiterook
11-09-2008, 01:35
Hello all, never hiked the AT before but a friend and I are looking to do a short portion in the area. We were thinking starting somewhere near Pine Grove and hiking up to around Cabela's/Port Clinton. Any advice for a good trek in that general area or places to park would be great. Also, interested in knowing who owns the land we will be hiking through in the area.

Thank you plenty.

Yahtzee
11-09-2008, 01:55
The obvious route would be to take the AT from Rt. 501 near Pine Grove and head south 24 miles to Port Clinton which is just up the road from Cabelas. If you wanted to add 14 more miles you could end at Hawk Mt. Road. And this way you could hit Pulpit Rock and the Pinnacle, two excellent views.

As far as I can tell none of the land on this stretch is privately owned and it is all maintained by the local hiking clubs.

I'm not sure on parking details, but you might try the 501 Shelter which is located on the highway and I believe has a caretaker who might allow parking. Also, if you do the extra miles, the Eckville Shelter is located on Hawk Mt. Road and you might talk to the caretaker there about parking.

Good luck.

Whiterook
11-09-2008, 03:27
Thanks for the reply. I'd love to see The Pinnacle, what would be a good place to start north of the pinnacle and end around Port Clinton? Looking for maybe a 5 to 7 hour hike.

Whiterook
11-09-2008, 03:30
Can't find the edit button. Meant to suggest is it possible to start around the Pinnacle, or slightly south of it and end in a good spot within 5-7 hours from there. Hiking to the north?

emerald
11-09-2008, 13:09
Can't find the edit button.

To edit, you must donate. It's used as an incentive to help support this website and quite handy as you've observed. I couldn't function well without it since I sometimes type faster and don't proofread as carefully I should before posting. It's also handy for expanding upon my remarks, correcting errors and ommissions or adding links at a later time.

Also, interested in knowing who owns the land we will be hiking through in the area.

I believe the AT itself (treadway) it is now all in public ownership. Much of it is owned by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and managed by Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) or Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR). Other portions are U.S. property managed jointly by National Park Service (NPS) and Appalachian Trail Conference (ATC) including its member club(s) which in area you mentioned is Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club (BMECC) of Reading. Between Port Clinton and Eckville a portion of the AT passes through watershed owned by Borough of Hamburg.

To know who owns and manages what, you really need to carry Keystone Trails Association's (KTA's) maps for the area you want to hike. If you don't have a copy of Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania, you should consider buying yourself a copy which can be obtained from ATC's Ultimate Trail Store. If you want to "try before you buy," go online and see if Bethel Public Library has their copy on it's shelf. Even if you don't have borrowing privileges, you could still go there and use theirs to help you plan your hike.

Please pay attention to the signage and respect the regulations which were implemented to provide the greatest benefit to the most for the longest time. In other words, be considerate of those who follow you.

I suggest you visit ATC's Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.715465/k.9731/Hike_The_Trail.htm) where you can order a guide book for yourself and find much helpful information. I've added you to my contacts list. You can PM me if you want to run your plans by me once you decide where you want to hike. I can give you a better idea what to expect once you clarify your plans.

emerald
11-09-2008, 13:15
Is it possible to start around the Pinnacle, or slightly south of it and end in a good spot within 5-7 hours from there. Hiking to the north?

You could start at Hamburg's parking lot and day-hike north to Eckville or begin a circuit hike from that location. Alternatively, you might be able to start at Blue Rocks Family Campground (http://www.bluerockscampground.com/) and end at Blue Mountain Summit (http://www.bluemountainsummit.com/) (PA 309) overnighting at Allentown Hiking Club Shelter. Parking at both ends would be on private property at secure locations at the discretion their respective owners.

Doc
11-09-2008, 13:53
This past September I hiked through this section and dealt with the parking issue. Good parking at 501 shelter. Contact the caretaker there for protected location. The outfitter in Port Clinton is a good source for information and has good parking. I think parking at Eckville shelter is very limited if at all. Large parking lot just down from Bake Oven Knob seemed to hold many possibilities.

emerald
11-09-2008, 14:17
Nearby Hawk Mountain Sanctuary offers circuit-hike opportunities as does Weiser State Forest. HMS and DCNR provide downloadable maps on their websites. I believe I've linked both here before. If anyone has trouble finding them, post a request for assistance and I'll link them again.

Toolshed
11-09-2008, 14:19
Rather than park at the Eckville shelter, There is great DEC parking at SGL #106 just South of Eckville on Pine Swamp Road.
This is where the old AT crosses Pine Swamp Road. The gated Service Road joins up with the AT about 1/4 mile South fo the parking lot, where you can easily continue up to (or down from) the Pinnacle.

emerald
11-09-2008, 14:25
There's limited parking where the AT crosses Hawk Mountain Road. It's usually not a problem finding a space on weekdays, but on a weekend when many are apt to be out hiking it could be tough. The PGC lot on SGL #106 is often a viable alternative on such occasions.

I failed to mention earlier Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) also has downloadable maps for SGLs on their website. Click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=586976&postcount=4) for the link.

Whiterook
11-09-2008, 15:46
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. It seems like a good hike would be starting(or ending) at the 501 Post to Port Clinton. That ought to take around 5-8 hours right?

emerald
11-09-2008, 15:59
PA 501 to Port Clinton is a long summer day's hike beyond the capabilities of many beginning hikers and of those who could more than a few wouldn't enjoy it. Most people don't average over 2 miles per hour over the course of a day. Tackling that section would be more practical were you to split it into two day hikes or make an overnight hike of it. There's an AT map and elevation profile at the PA 501 trailhead, but you would be wise to carry a map of your own.

Go to Bethel Public Library or see if you can borrow a copy of Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania from your local library. You should also download the portion of ALDHA's online Companion for Pennsylvania. Get it here (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm).

emerald
11-09-2008, 18:34
You and your friend may want to consider participating in a BMECC hike. They have a full schedule of events (http://www.bmecc.org/Schedule%20of%20Events.htm) and many knowledgeable club members who would be happy to answer your questions and assist in your preparation. There are a number of hikes scheduled in the next few weeks where you expressed an interest in hiking.

I consider many BMECC members friends and enjoy their company. When you read posts here about Berks and the surrounding counties, often they are written by BMECC members. Depending on when you would hike, I might even be there.

BMECC activities are a good way to break into hiking and learn more before venturing out on the AT by yourself. You would likely be better prepared, more competent and more confident in your abilities once having spent some time on the AT with more experienced hikers.

emerald
11-09-2008, 19:01
I suggest you re-read the entire thread. I've expanded a number of my posts and added new links to them. Should someone read the thread you started at a later time, it will be easier for them to extract the information than had I added more posts.

SOG/Peter

Yahtzee
11-09-2008, 19:11
Maybe, you could start at Rt. 183. It's one exit before Port Clinton/Cabela's if you are coming from Harrisburg. This would make it a 14 mile day, which would easily be done in 5-8 hours.

But if I could make a suggestion, Hawk Mt. Rd to Port Clinton is much nicer hike. It's just a little bit longer but with two exceptional vistas. It may be a bit more challenging, rockwise, but it is worth it.

These are two of many good day hikes in the area.

emerald
11-09-2008, 19:48
Maybe, you could start at Rt. 183. It's one exit before Port Clinton/Cabela's if you are coming from Harrisburg. This would make it a 14 mile day, which would easily be done in 5-8 hours.

Another alternative would be starting at PA 501 and hiking to Port Clinton or the Hamburg trailhead with a night in the woods at Eagle's Nest Shelter (no fires until December 1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=429161&postcount=35)).

Overnight parking at the Hamburg trailhead requires written permission. That hike obviously requires 2 cars or a shuttle as do all linear hikes on the AT.

But if I could make a suggestion, Hawk Mt. Rd to Port Clinton is much nicer hike. It's just a little bit longer but with two exceptional vistas. It may be a bit more challenging, rockwise, but it is worth it.

The more interesting portion of that hike can be taken in as a circuit hike beginning and ending at the Hamburg watershed trailhead as I mentioned earlier which simplifies transportation.

Either way there are plenty of choices for a meal when you reach your journey's end. I'm partial to predictable dining experiences that offer something a bit different. Consider Deitsch Eck (http://www.deitscheck.com/) in Lenhartsville.

Whiterook
11-12-2008, 16:36
Just got back from the hike.

Went from the 501 Shelter to 183. That was 14 miles? Pretty good hike. Loved "Dan's Desent", "Lookout View", and "Boulder Field". Also, the French and Indian war fort maker was neat.

We ate by Boulder Field, then packed up and saw the picnic table and spring! We were dissapointed we didn't spot it before we ate. Sure was fun though.

Only saw 2 other hikers, 2 deer, a few trash items, and a nice shelter someone built.

And my hips hurt.

Whiterook
11-12-2008, 16:38
Oh yes, what do pink blazes mean? And blue ones? Also saw a tree with HM on it marked in blue?

emerald
11-12-2008, 18:01
Pretty good hike. Loved "Dan's Desent", "Lookout View", and "Boulder Field". Also, the French and Indian war fort maker was neat.

Thanks for your trip report. I didn't read or hear of any 911 calls and you didn't even cry about the rocks. Not a bad start.

I'm wondering about some of the features you visited and what sort of map you may have been carrying. Having hiked where you now have many times before, I've have little doubt we saw the same features. I know where "Boulder Field" is. Where is "Dan's Descent" and "Lookout View?"

emerald
11-12-2008, 18:16
Oh yes, what do pink blazes mean? And blue ones? Also saw a tree with HM on it marked in blue?

Blue blazes indicate side trails. They may lead to water sources such as Hemlock Spring north of Fort Detrich Snyder Marker or Ludwig's Brunne at Pilger Ruh.

Pink blazes exist only in the minds of boy hikers who believe they will lead to girl hikers. You didn't actually see any pink blazes did you? If so, I'm sure BMECC's trailmaster would want to know about it. As for the blue HM, I have no idea and expect it's something which doesn't belong there and was not put where you saw it with BMECC's knowledge.

Whiterook
11-12-2008, 20:03
Thanks for your trip report. I didn't read or hear of any 911 calls and you didn't even cry about the rocks. Not a bad start.

I'm wondering about some of the features you visited and what sort of map you may have been carrying. Having hiked where you now have many times before, I've have little doubt we saw the same features. I know where "Boulder Field" is. Where is "Dan's Descent" and "Lookout View?"

Oh I'm used to rocks. ;)

Didn't have a map, we just parked on the side of 501 and followed the white blazes. "Dan's Desent(it was misspelled)" and "Lookout View" were on the same ridge and pretty early in the trip. I'll post pictures in the gallery if it lets me.

I figured the blue blazes meant springs, the Fort sign was right on the main path though.

And yes, we saw one set of pink blazes, they went off in a direction and weren't that far south from the 183 point. I didn't take pictures though.

c.coyle
11-18-2008, 12:13
. . . Pink blazes exist only in the minds of boy hikers who believe they will lead to girl hikers. You didn't actually see any pink blazes did you? If so, I'm sure BMECC's trailmaster would want to know about it. As for the blue HM, I have no idea and expect it's something which doesn't belong there and was not put where you saw it with BMECC's knowledge.

Side trail to Camp Swatara. Between 645 and 501

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/2/2/9/atpa6_lavender_blaze1-med.jpg

emerald
11-18-2008, 14:46
Pink blazes exist only in the minds of boy hikers who believe they will lead to girl hikers. You didn't actually see any pink blazes did you?

Yes, we saw one set of pink blazes, they went off in a direction and weren't that far south from the 183 point. I didn't take pictures though.

I don't wish to speculate on-board, but I have ideas about what you may be describing.

Side trail to Camp Swatara. Between 645 and 501.

Coyle, a double-first-white blaze trumps a triple-pink blaze any day! Nice to see you are still with us.;)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/7/7/her_first-med.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=3062&original=1&c=searchresults&searchid=19268)

emerald
11-18-2008, 14:56
As for the blue HM, I have no idea and expect it's something which doesn't belong there and was not put where you saw it with BMECC's knowledge.

Depending upon where you saw it, HM could mean Hawk Mountain (Scout Reservation). Years ago an Eagle Scout built a trail which linked HMSR to the AT. It was known as the Eagle-Rutabaga Trail. Whether or not proper approval to link to the AT was granted I don't know. Perhaps it was not and that's why it's no longer maintained.

emerald
11-20-2008, 21:09
I'll post pictures in the gallery if it lets me.

I see the gallery let you post your pics. I thought it would. Sometimes, I'm amazed at what it permits. Since yours depict the AT in Berks County and hence are of the finest kind, I didn't expect any issues.

Now that I've seen your pics, I'm certain we visited the same place.:cool:

Whiterook
11-22-2008, 22:59
I don't wish to speculate on-board, but I have ideas about what you may be describing.

And what might that be....PM me if necessary.

zr700
12-14-2008, 11:49
The HM (blue trail) does lead to the boy scout camp and is maintained by the scouts.

J-Rod
02-12-2010, 23:26

These are two of many good day hikes in the area.

Oh the rocks lol
yes there is lots of rocks ....take your time if you are not use to it and you should be fine...

i hike in from port clinton once a week ...well now there is 2 foot of snow on the ground so my sat hikes are on hold...but it's a nice hike...and like others have said...the view is nice :)
have fun and be safe

J-Rod
02-12-2010, 23:27
and this post in how old...hahah yeah...don't mine me

chrisoc
02-17-2010, 14:18
the Blue Mountain Summit was a very nice German restaurant years ago when I was involved with the Boy Scouts at Hawk Mountain.

emerald
02-17-2010, 16:31
If I remember correctly, the restaurant at PA 309 was known as Gambrinus Haus for some time at least until 1980.

J-Rod
02-18-2010, 01:37
I hike Hawk Mnt alot in the summer.....love Hawk Mnt

emerald
02-18-2010, 15:38
Overnight parking at Hamburg's trailhead requires written permission.

While that may have been the case at some point, a written permit is no longer necessary. A phone call to Borough of Hamburg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=898416&postcount=9) will suffice.

When you call, Hamburg will advise you of their policies and expect to be provided with your plans and vehicle's license plate number. It will then be known to anyone patrolling the lot to whom your vehicle belongs, why it's there and how long it may be expected to remain.

emerald
02-18-2010, 16:02
Much information has been posted about Hamburg's watershed. To view my posts on the topic, click Search > Advanced Search. User name=emerald, keyword=Hamburg. You'll get a screenful.