PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Campsite Near Compton Gap / Shenandoah

stevebo
11-09-2008, 10:07
I'm planning a northbound AT Shenandoah Trip, and I just can't quite make the distance into Front Royal on my last day via the Dickey Ridge Trail. I know I could make it to Tom Floyd, but I'd rather not go the extra 2.5 miles only to double back another 2+ miles to access Dickey Ridge the next day.

Are there any reasonably flat, somewhat spacious places to pull off-trail to camp for the night near Compton Gap? The map shows a level area by Fort Windham Rocks, but who knows?

Thanks for any help. The default is Tom Floyd.
Steve

Newb
11-13-2008, 09:25
There's plenty of spots to set up right off the trail around Compton overlook. I remember there's an obvious tenting spot just south of it...make sure to grab water before camping as these spots are dry

stevebo
11-14-2008, 08:09
Is that the place where there are 2 spur trails? We ate lunch there this year and hiked up to the left, but didn't hike down to the right, which is where I think you mena. Do you think there's enough space for a few tents?

Steve

Newb
11-18-2008, 09:58
About half a mile north of the Compton overlook spur trail is a little creek crossing the AT. Between these two points there are some obvious camping spots. I really don't think you'll have any trouble finding them. I can't pin-point exactly where to go, though.