PDA

View Full Version : pct 2009

mle
11-09-2008, 10:41
I am doing the PCT next year and I would like to find a couple of others to do it with. If you wouldn't mind letting me join your group, please drop me a line.
-Emily

TwoForty
11-09-2008, 16:47
If you want to start with a group, you could just start at the kickoff, plus or minus a week. You'll have tons of people to hike with. You'll probably end up hiking with other people based on your pace. I never saw the people I started with after the 2nd day on my last section hike. After a week though, I found I was almost always around a certain group of people because we all had a similar pace.

In fact, the only people who I met that had planned to start in a group beforehand were either married or going with their boyfriend/girlfriend.

So, don't feel bad if you just show up by yourself. Most hikers will do the same. Everyone is so nice, it already feels like you're friends. Enjoy your hike!

Pacific Tortuga
11-09-2008, 17:32
I am doing the PCT next year and I would like to find a couple of others to do it with. If you wouldn't mind letting me join your group, please drop me a line.
-Emily

:welcome TwoFourty, yes the ADZPCTKO along with Yogi's book is an excellent way to meet others and and join the "herd" north. You should not have any problems
and see you there.

Pacific Tortuga
11-09-2008, 17:34
Sorry mle :o

mts4602
11-09-2008, 18:37
I am looking at starting after graduation on May 11th at Big Bear City. Approx 275 trail miles North of Mexico. Since I'm starting kinda late and I want to hike with everyone else, I'm skipping ahead a little. Plus if I'm going to skip any part it might as well be the desert.

Maybe I'll see ya out there.

MTS

chris
11-10-2008, 11:51
The desert is one of the most beautiful places on the whole PCT. Embrace it for what it is. By the way, I started May 9 and had a nice number of thru and section hikers around me in SoCal. I started to run down the pack around Big Bear, the caught the middle around Agua Dulce, and was in the front by the time I left Kennedy Meadows. So, there is nothing late about May 11. Because of water and heat issues, people tend to roll up bigger miles than they expect on the PCT at the start.

chase
11-10-2008, 12:13
I plan to start sometime in April. Maybe hike leisurely to Warner and then get a ride back to the kickoff, continuing on afterwards. Another fellow (Old Ridge Runner) also from the east coast and I have been making some tentative plans for hiking together a couple of weeks to start. Undecided whether to fly out or take a slow drive out and view the sites along the way. Maybe find a driver that wants to visit the west coast.

chase

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1467285945&ref=name

blake
11-20-2008, 06:44
So excited to start the PCT. Probably staring around 5 months from today. Sounds amazing that it's so close. I'm so excited to reenter the awesome world of thru hiking. Such a better existence to work to climb mountains than stare at a computer screen. Yes, Yes, Yes! ADZPCTKO start, can't wait. Life's amazing. Hope to meet some of you guys this year.

Blake

Walk On Boy
11-21-2008, 09:44
If I can save enough money and find some form of transportation, I'll be there in late March, the ADZPCTKO, and heading north. "Coach" (AT 2007) is planning on it too.

Spirit Walker
11-21-2008, 15:37
Unless it's another extreme drought year, late March is really too early to start the PCT. It is easy to say that you'll take your time in the early days, but very hard to do because of the lack of water. The distance between water sources forces you to do fairly big miles right from the start.

We started on April 20, took our time, took a lot of time off in town, and still got to Kennedy Meadows on June 1. I sprained my ankle the first day on the trail, so we were only doing 15 mile days for the first week or so, but even so we were early. It was a low snow year, so we were able to go through the Sierras, but we had much worse snowmelt water conditions than people a week behind us. In a more normal snow year, we would have run into serious snow several times before we reached KM. As it was, we crossed snow on the ground several times (i.e. Fuller Ridge) but it was passable.

My PCT journal is at:
http://spiriteaglehome.com/contents.html

Walk On Boy
11-21-2008, 16:56
Alright alright, I was mis-informed...I'll be there mid to late April. This does give me more time to save some more money.

blackfoot "hb"
12-09-2008, 19:47
hey yall,
So I am starting 2009 summer either may 5th, 6th or 7th. Is anyone interested in starting with me? I am a UL'r and hike fairly quickly but LOVE to stop and smell the roses!!! I hiked the AT in 06 with the EWOKS AND CURRENTLY LIVE IN NH. hOPE TO HEAR FROM YALL.

Blackfoot HB