PDA

View Full Version : Forgot my poles at Neel's Gap

Vince
11-09-2008, 12:04
I'm sorry for double-posting this, but I left my Leki Makalu ultralight poles in the phone booth at Neel's. :( They were my "gamers" and I'm he$itant to purcha$e another $et!

I called Mt. Crossings yesterday but they hadn't been turned in (calling back around noon today, as they suggested). If anyone comes across them, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
-Vince

Vince
11-14-2008, 20:44
Mountain Crossings says no one turned them in. Easy come, easy go - hopefully it all amounts to unintended trail magic for some soul who needed them!

Peace,
-Vince

Blissful
11-14-2008, 20:48
Good way to look at it. If I lose something, I always hope someone is putting it to good use.

ChinMusic
11-14-2008, 21:52
I was at Neels on the 10th. I wish I had known about this but I was somewhere around Woody Gap when you posted. I could have looked around for ya. I don't even remember the phone booth.

Lone Wolf
11-14-2008, 23:07
:( They were my "gamers" and I'm he$itant to purcha$e another $et!

"gamers"? explain :-?

Phreak
11-14-2008, 23:27
"gamers"? explain :-?
I'm guessing he hiked from GA to ME with 'em? :confused:

Lone Wolf
11-14-2008, 23:32
oh. the sentimentality has gripped my heart. i think. not. poles and shelters :)

Blue Jay
11-15-2008, 08:59
They were my "gamers" and I'm he$itant to purcha$e another $et!

My guess is that he is unable to walk a certain way without them. Dedicated pole users have different poles for different funny walks. Longer ones for down hill and short ones for free style.

Summit
11-15-2008, 09:58
My guess is that he is unable to walk a certain way without them. Dedicated pole users have different poles for different funny walks. Longer ones for down hill and short ones for free style.Ah, the pole user sarcasm fixation continues. You are pitiful BJ!

Vince, sorry to hear of your lost poles. Hope you get them back.

Blue Jay
11-15-2008, 16:27
Ah, the pole user sarcasm fixation continues. You are pitiful BJ!

Hey at least it's sarcasm and not your weird pole fixation. At least I post on other subjects.:banana

papa john
11-15-2008, 16:36
Hey at least it's sarcasm and not your weird pole fixation. At least I post on other subjects.:banana

Not sure how old you are, I see that you have been up the trail several times. There are valid reasons why someone might want or need to use poles. For me, they help take the load off my knees when going downhill. When I am walking on flat or moderately rolling trail, I usually just carry them in one hand or the other. They are somewhat useful for climbing a hill, but not so much as going down the other side. I'm glad that you can hike without them, wish I could.

Blue Jay
11-15-2008, 16:45
Not sure how old you are, I see that you have been up the trail several times. There are valid reasons why someone might want or need to use poles. For me, they help take the load off my knees when going downhill. When I am walking on flat or moderately rolling trail, I usually just carry them in one hand or the other. They are somewhat useful for climbing a hill, but not so much as going down the other side. I'm glad that you can hike without them, wish I could.

I've never said no one should use poles. Many many people have become completely dependent on them. There are a few people on these forums who constantly proselytise and promote them almost as a religion. It's OK to do so with those who already have become dependent, but to do so to those who are healthy is just not right. New hikers become convinced they cannot walk without them before they even try.