PDA

View Full Version : Bob Peoples shelter

genetic claybuilding
11-09-2008, 13:38
I hiked a section in TN/NC a few years ago, and came upon a very nice new shelter that Bob Peoples helped build. What's the name of it and where exactly is it? I'll be doing a section in NC/TN later this year and it probably isn't in my outdated data book.

Rowdy Yates
11-09-2008, 13:59
I hiked a section in TN/NC a few years ago, and came upon a very nice new shelter that Bob Peoples helped build. What's the name of it and where exactly is it? I'll be doing a section in NC/TN later this year and it probably isn't in my outdated data book.

:confused: I think the one you are inquiring about is the Mountaineer Shelter and it is located between US19E and Dennis Cove. They were building it the year I hiked through that section.

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2008, 15:09
I hiked a section in TN/NC a few years ago, and came upon a very nice new shelter that Bob Peoples helped build. What's the name of it and where exactly is it? I'll be doing a section in NC/TN later this year and it probably isn't in my outdated data book.Yup its the Mountaineer Falls Shelter. Its around 2 miles from Walnut Mtn Road on a short blue blaze. The shelter trail is located just about 0.1 north of the falls on top of the hill. There is a campsite just south of the falls.

The latest trail guide does not list it. The National Geographic maps listed it as a no-name shelter.

The upcoming TN/NC books will be listing it.

By the way....HARDCORE!

bulldog49
11-09-2008, 16:07
Yup its the Mountaineer Falls Shelter. Its around 2 miles from Walnut Mtn Road on a short blue blaze. The shelter trail is located just about 0.1 north of the falls on top of the hill. There is a campsite just south of the falls.

The latest trail guide does not list it. The National Geographic maps listed it as a no-name shelter.

The upcoming TN/NC books will be listing it.

By the way....HARDCORE!

It should officially be renamed "Bob Peoples Shelter" imo.

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2008, 17:41
Yeah...but Bob was too generous enough to let the ASU Trail Crew take the Mountaineer name when they were helping with the relocation digging.

Doctari
11-09-2008, 18:12
Great shelter! I love the bear carving someone left there!

I camped right in front of the shelter.

bulldog49
11-09-2008, 18:30
Yeah...but Bob was too generous enough to let the ASU Trail Crew take the Mountaineer name when they were helping with the relocation digging.

English please. :confused:

Tennessee Viking
11-09-2008, 18:50
The Appalachian State University Trail Crew helped in the digging in that area. The group was helpful in exposing the overgrown waterfall when it was first discovered.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2008, 19:12
It should officially be renamed "Bob Peoples Shelter" imo.

no, Pat Peoples Memorial Shelter

Kirby
11-09-2008, 19:24
Pat People's Memorial Mountaineer Shelter.

Kirby

Footslogger
11-09-2008, 20:10
I was fortunate enough to be on the Hardcore crew the year that shelter was built (2006). Here are a couple pics. The first one is the shelter under frame ...and if you look closely you can see Bob Peoples in his "signature" beige ball cap (somewhat obscured by the shelter frame) near the lower right corner. The second pic is a vey happy Bob People at the end of the Hardcore project:

Blissful
11-09-2008, 20:24
Great shelter. Awesome people who built it. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2008, 20:36
Great shelter. Awesome people who built it. Thanks.

it's just a shelter

Turtle2
11-09-2008, 20:39
I, too, stopped in during construction in 2006. It was 90% complete and a great place to take an afternoon nap during a brief rain storm. This and all shelter building and trail maintaining should remind us all of what can be accomplished when we all work together.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2008, 20:43
I, too, stopped in during construction in 2006. It was 90% complete and a great place to take an afternoon nap during a brief rain storm. This and all shelter building and trail maintaining should remind us all of what can be accomplished when we all work together.

but it wasn't needed

fishinfred
11-09-2008, 21:11

Many hands make much work easy ...HARDCORE ROCKS!

BOB ROCKS! Hmmmm may be a sticker there :D

Thanks to all those who partake... YOU ROCK!

Speakin of HARDCORE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370108597227) ...(100% goes to ATC!)

CrumbSnatcher
11-09-2008, 21:42
been to 3 hardcores,great times. remodeled the clyde smith shelter one year. you could probably name tons of things after bob and pat. i've been away for a few years looking forward to hardcore 09'

Lugnut
11-10-2008, 01:00
Bob would never accept anything being named for him. Pat, maybe, but never him.

Big Dawg
11-10-2008, 10:59
it's just a shelter

Yes, but better than most.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2008, 11:06
a shelter is a shelter is a shelter

dmax
11-10-2008, 16:43
A shelter is a shelter.
A trail is a trail.

I'm glad we have both.

Rain Man
11-10-2008, 18:03
That was my youngest daughter's first shelter. She asked if they were all gonna be like it. LOL

The next one was Moreland Gap Shelter, so she got a good average.

Rain:sunMan

D'Artagnan
11-12-2008, 15:05
no, Pat Peoples Memorial Shelter

My thoughts exactly.

Big Dawg
11-12-2008, 16:47
a shelter is a shelter is a shelter

To you.

Big difference between a dank old little shelter & a nice new one like Mountaineer Falls, IMHO. Although in most cases I'd rather tent anyway. I usually find myself sheltering on rainy nights.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2008, 18:06
it'll be dank and dirty before long

uscgretired
11-12-2008, 18:46
And someday all of will be dead and dust, so what's your point.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2008, 19:06
And someday all of will be dead and dust, so what's your point.

i don't get all warm and fuzzy inside when a new shelter gets built especially when it ain't needed

Lone Wolf
11-12-2008, 19:07
i don't get all warm and fuzzy inside when a new shelter gets built especially when it ain't needed

matter of fact, no shelters are NEEDED

Big Dawg
11-13-2008, 16:38
Ahhhhh, I'm so warm and fuzzy inside thinking about my recent stay at Mountaineer Falls shelter. :rolleyes: Saw my first bear citing there too!! :eek:

Lone Wolf
11-13-2008, 17:12
Ahhhhh, I'm so warm and fuzzy inside thinking about my recent stay at Mountaineer Falls shelter. :rolleyes: Saw my first bear citing there too!! :eek:

oh really? what was it citing? a poem, a prayer?

mudhead
11-13-2008, 17:41
Big bear? Little bear? Just right bear?

I would like to see a bear in the woods.

Serial 07
11-13-2008, 17:50
a quick story about that shelter (not sure if this is widely known)...bob was taking us into town this year (luckily i was in the front seat) and he started talking about the shelter...he said that a female hiker who had helped build the shelter wanted to be one of the first to camp in it, so bob that night drove her up some service entrance and she stayed there...well, the next day or so, she called bob and told him that she slept up on the third floor and that it was great...bob said, "and i thought, there's no third floor..." and conveyed that to the girl...she disagreed and told him that she slept in that little loft part that hangs over the entrance...bob goes, "i was concerned...that was just a place we put the extra wood..nothing was secured up there at all...so i had to go up there and nail down all those planks of wood in case anybody else did the same thing..."

he told the story better than i, but it was a laugh none-the-less...

Big Dawg
11-13-2008, 21:06
oh really? what was it citing? a poem, a prayer?

haha... dang wolf, ur smarter than you look:-?. Couldn't find the edit button after realizing my grammatical error,,, moderators must of done away w/ that option.

Big Dawg
11-13-2008, 21:21
oh, and that "wooden carved" bear was citing a poem about how you were scared of dirty shelters:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
11-13-2008, 22:44
oh, and that "wooden carved" bear was citing a poem about how you were scared of dirty shelters:rolleyes:

no fear about them. i'm just smarter than any person that would willingly sleep in a dirty box. :rolleyes:

Big Dawg
11-13-2008, 22:58
no fear about them. i'm just smarter than any person that would willingly sleep in a dirty box.

I wondered why that head of yours looked so large,, big ol brain in there, huh?:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
11-14-2008, 04:59
yeah uh uh uh uh :rolleyes: