PDA

View Full Version : Poles???

Flatlands Girl
11-09-2008, 19:01
:-?Ok, I am a newbie. My question is this, are poles a "must have" or a "nice to have"? I am planning a thru hike in 2010 and I am trying to find out what I truly need, other than the obvious "top 10". Thanks!!

Oh, I will have my dog tethered to me for the trip, if that makes any difference.....

Bulldawg
11-09-2008, 19:08
Poles are nice, some people say no, some people say yes. I like them to give my arms something to do when my legs are doing all that walking and climbing. They are also nice to have when climbing some wild rock climbs or walking along a log to get out of the muck of a wet trail. Then there are shelters that use poles as their support. I'd say as a thru hiker, if I wasn't a hammocker, I'd definitely use a shelter that relied on hiking poles as their support, making them truly multipurposed.

Lone Wolf
for sure NOT a must have. just a personal choice. i've done 5 thru-hikes plus 6000 other miles and never have and never will use poles

Bulldawg
Oh yeah, have you made plans for your dog through the Smokies?

Whistler
11-09-2008, 20:23
I'd call them "very nice to have" but not at all necessary.
-Mark

Blissful
11-09-2008, 20:27
If you have good knees and strong legs, probably okay without. I saw those in their twenties and under without them. But I like them not only for knees but stability in rocks and uneven terrain. They have more than once prevented ankle sprains for me. I also liked them for the few stream crossings we do have, and they helped me negotiate the ups and downs better.

DavidNH
11-09-2008, 20:28
Yes, Poles are not necessary. But they sure are nice to have. Personally, I would never think of hiking the AT without them!

Here are some of the advantages of trekking poles:
They aid in steep ascents and descents by acting as second pair of limbs.
they are very helpful when crossing streams. Helps to know how deep the water is.
I believe they aid in getting a good hiking rythem going.
If you use a tarp tent the trekking poles can substitute for the tent poles.

Finally, when I thru hiked in 2006, practically every single thru hiker was using trekking poles. Even the ultra light types.

Again, if you are crossing a stream or going up a steep hill, trekking poles make things a whole lot easier!

DavidNH

gsingjane
11-09-2008, 20:36
I think it really depends on how old you are and what kind of shape your knees are in. I hiked without them when I first started and now really couldn't imagine going without. They help me keep my balance and really seem to help save my knees on the downhills.

However, you may find they will get tangled in the dog tether.

I would suggest practicing with and without them on your test hikes you will take before thru-hiking. That's the best way to find out about all different kinds of gear, because different things will work for different people and it is definitely better to find this out ahead of time.

Good luck to you,

Jane in CT

SteveJ
11-09-2008, 20:58
I hike with poles and usually with a dog that is on-lead 100% of the time. I use a 16' flexi-lead. I attach the lead to my backpack waist belt. She ranges out ahead of me. This also gives her the freedom to stop along the side of the trail and sniff whatever she finds so fascinating. When we get to the end of the lead, I'll give it a gentle tug with my pole and she races ahead. If we meet other hikers I bring her in and have her walk in heel, or step to the side of the trail.

Steve

Pic here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15980&catid=member&imageuser=6309

Of course, my son has figured out that she gives a 5 lb tug going up hills - so he usually has her!

garlic08
11-09-2008, 21:54
I started using poles for my sore knees when I was in my forties. I know I couldn't manage a long hike without them. I've tried it both ways. Believe me, I would love to be able to hike without poles again. If you don't need them, great.

Serial 07
11-09-2008, 22:38
certainly not necessary...some people love'em, but i find them to be a cumbersome bother...i agree with garlic sentiments...if you don't need'em, don't bother...

Erin
11-09-2008, 22:43
A personal preference. I never used anything when I was younger. Then I used a stick off the trail. Now I use one pole with my right hand and I prefer just the one pole.

Summit
11-09-2008, 22:59
If you want less wear and tear on your knees and legs, and a more distributed, even workout for your body overall, use trekking poles. It just makes sense to let your arms, which otherwise don't do a whole lot, bear some of the burden off your poor legs and knees.

To get maximum benefit of trekking poles, learn how to adjust and use the straps. The straps are what makes trekking poles the advantage that they are (over ordinary sticks or nothing at all).

KG4FAM
11-09-2008, 23:11
Not necessary to have the store bought kind, but I would say that a walking stick of some kind is necessary when fording rivers.

jesse
11-09-2008, 23:52
you obvioulsy don't need them now. Why do you think you will need them 2 years from now.

skinewmexico
11-09-2008, 23:53
My knees make me use them. A big help on stream crossings too.

Flatlands Girl
11-10-2008, 07:48
Thanks for all the info...I believe I will take the advice of surely trying both ways with my girl tethered to me ( smart) . I also tend to be a bit clumsy, so maybe having the extra support will help, too.
As far as Bailey is concerned, I will use the kennel in the Smokies ( a hefty 250, i hear) but worth it since they will bring her to me in the end ( which i must add is pretty generous)..and for Baxter, my companion has long-time friends in Maine so we will relying on them to keep her until we complete our hike.
Thanks again!!!!

daddytwosticks
11-10-2008, 08:37
Do some practice hikes before '10...buy poles and use them based on practice hikes. If you don't have them starting out and discover you really need them, buy them at Neel(s) Gap. :)

joec
11-10-2008, 08:57
I went from thinking they were silly looking for those that used them, to using them and thinking they were the best thing, to now using one and leaving the second one home. It is nice to have one to gain traction when crossing a stream, or working through a rocky section etc, but it is also nice to have hands free.

Summit
11-10-2008, 12:11
Not necessary to have the store bought kind, but I would say that a walking stick of some kind is necessary when fording rivers.The difference between a walking stick and trekking poles is like night and day. The way the straps of trekking poles bear your weight vs. the grip of a stick bearing your weight is an enormous difference.

warren doyle
11-10-2008, 12:37
On all my walking on the AT, I use only one ski pole that I usually buy for $1 at a thrift store/yard sale. It is a good simple example of 'reuse/recycle' and LNT.

The ski pole has become my third arm and/or third leg and has contributed to my having no knee pain after walking over 30,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail, which entails almost 15 traverses of the entire trail. The use of this one ski pole has also contributed to preventing me from falling more.

Happy trails!

Blue Jay
11-10-2008, 21:58
The difference between a walking stick and trekking poles is like night and day. The way the straps of trekking poles bear your weight vs. the grip of a stick bearing your weight is an enormous difference.

Forgive me for using your own arguments against you once again, but this thread is about the decision to use hiking poles or not. It is NOT a discussion about walking sticks vs. "trekking" (aka madison avenue) poles.:eek:

bfitz
11-11-2008, 00:15
Look at it this way...every time you put a stick down while walking that's some weight that's not stressing your knees, ankles, feet etc. Over millions of steps that adds up. I bought mine after my knees hurt and wished I'd bought them before. Try a few days with, and a few days without and see the difference.

Summit
11-11-2008, 00:41
Forgive me for using your own arguments against you once again, but this thread is about the decision to use hiking poles or not. It is NOT a discussion about walking sticks vs. "trekking" (aka madison avenue) poles.:eek:Whether or not one uses the straps correctly might influence their decision to use hiking poles or not, making my argument (unlike yours) valid, and I was not the one who brought up walking sticks, but quoted the person who interjected the use of walking sticks. Thus your attempt to discredit/embarrass me misses the mark entirely.

Think about this for a second before you do the knee-jerk retaliation thing: Why don't you expend your energy being a contributor rather than a distractor here on WB? There's got to be more to life for you than putting down ('madison avenue' dig) trekking pole users! :rolleyes: I bet you have some experiences and advice I could learn from. :)

fiddlehead
11-11-2008, 07:36
I've tried em, they get in my way. I'm hike much more in balance without them. Just try it both ways.
(One of them is good for setting up my tarp/tent though) If i'm going above treeline to camp, i either grab a stick or if it's extended time, i'll carry one just for that purpose.