PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for 09 NoBo, JUDGE ME!

tomandcolin
11-09-2008, 21:29
Alright chaps! I've drawn up a rough idea of the list of the gear I'm taking with me next year and as you seem like such a wise bunch i would really appreciate your collective criticisms and comments. Some of it i've already got, some of it i'm in the process of buying and some of it i'm a long way off being able to afford!

Osprey Aether 60L 4lb 2oz
MSR Dragonfly Stove * 18oz
MSR 22 oz Fuel Bottle * 4.9oz
North Face Tadpole 23* 4lb 13.6oz
Therm-a-rest Prolite 4* 1lb 8oz
Blacks Quantum 300 Sleeping bag * 1lb 15.7oz
LiveVenture Silk Mummy Liner 4.9oz

Merrell Moab Gore Tex XCR Boots *
2 Pair Socks 4oz
The North Face Venture Jacket * 12.5oz
The North Face Venture Pants * 7.76oz
The North Face TKA Fleece * 10.5oz
IceBreaker Bodyfit 200 Crewe
The North Face Windstopper Hat 3oz
Buff original 2oz
Leki Hiking Pole (x2) 19.4oz

Cheap Aluminium Pot 1L * 2.7oz
Tin Foil Pot Cover * 1oz
2L Platypus* 3.5oz
MSR 2L Dromedary Bag 3.5oz
Polar Pure 3oz
Spork 0.3oz
Lighter 0.8oz

First Aid kit
Toothpaste 2oz
ToothBrush 0.3oz
Lip Balm 0.2oz
Nail Clippers 0.8oz
Toilet Paper 1oz
Prescription Drugs

Duct Tape (Kept on poles)
Mini Carabiner 0.5oz
Mesh Ditty Bags (x3) 4oz
Casio Exilim EX S880 Camera 4.5oz
2gb SD card
Petzl Tikka Plus Headtorch* 2.75oz
4 Li-ion AAA Batteries
Gerber MultiTool* 6.7oz
Tent Repair Kit
Stove Repair Kit

Total 19lb 14.3oz

Things with a * beside i already own but if you can suggest a cheaper/lighter option then please speak out!

tomandcolin
11-09-2008, 21:32
Cheers guys, Any Advise much appreciated!
Regards, Tom
p.s. if anyone can suggest a better/tougher camera i'd be grateful

shoe
11-09-2008, 22:11
You can definitely go lighter on the stove and tent.

I don't much about your camera but I have an Olympus that can handle freezing weather, rain, and drops up to 5 feet. Of course I wouldn't intentionally drop it the 5 feet in freezing rain :) It takes great pictures. It's a Stylus 820 and it gets great battery life.

KG4FAM
11-09-2008, 22:13
MSR Dragonfly Stove * 18oz - No need for white gas on the AT. Alcohol or Canister work fine and are much lighter
MSR 22 oz Fuel Bottle * 4.9oz

North Face Tadpole 23* 4lb 13.6oz - Seedhouse SL1 or Hubba will save a lot

Therm-a-rest Prolite 4* 1lb 8oz - CCF is lighter

Gerber MultiTool* 6.7oz - you dont need all those tools
Tent Repair Kit - duct tape
Stove Repair Kit - alcohol or canister doesn't need repair kit

Camera - Olympus makes the SW line and Pentax makes the W60. Both are waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof

Serial 07
11-09-2008, 22:21
you want a rugged camera...the olympus stylus 790sw was a popular choice and very durable...people taking photos and video underwater was very cool...if $ is no object, this is a nice camera...

Joe8484
11-09-2008, 22:39
I have an older model of the exilim that I bought last year for my 09 hike. I have taken over two thousand photos and about 100 miles of trail.

I've had trouble with it not starting up on cold mornings
and don't even think about using the zoom with out a tripod.

Another thing to think about is recharging the battery during town days. My battery last on average 2 days max.

Blissful
11-09-2008, 22:54
Don't need -

Batteries (plenty in towns)
Two water bags (I'd take one and maybe a soda bottle or such)
Tent repair kit
Nail clipper (take a small jacknife with scissors in it instead of Gerber multi tool)
Mesh ditty bags

I'd take -
Another pair of socks (feet matter). Maybe camp shoes too. You are almost guaranteed blisters.
Gloves
Bear bagging
pack cover or such
sil nylon ditty bag

Tent way too heavy. I'd change that and your stove, though some have done fine with the stove.

buz
11-10-2008, 09:34
Tent, pack, stove need careful attention if you want to save significant weight, which you can. I have the Aether pack, (70 liter), and it is very nice. But If I was going thru hiking, I would look at other lighter choices, especially since you haven't bought the pack yet. If you do things lighter, saving 4 pounds is possible with lighter choices, and that is significant.

Good luck.

garlic08
11-10-2008, 09:50
Ditto what Buz says about the big three. Wise choice not buying the pack yet, save that till last. Look at lighter shelters, for sure, maybe even try out a single-wall like Tarptent, they work fine on an AT hike. If you get your load down closer to 15 or even below, a much lighter pack can be used, maybe even a frameless (one pound or so). If you get that light, blisters are not guaranteed and you won't need camp shoes. Looks like good choices on the other stuff. I agree with the posts above about the multitool, batteries, water bottles. It's good to see no water filter, you won't need it. Be sure to bring a bandanna, a guidebook, and a small notebook.

Lyle
11-10-2008, 10:20
I agree with most of what's been said here (except I have reservations about an Olympus Stylus camera based on my own personal experience - others seem happy with theirs).

You should definitely consider a lighter tent or tarp. Nothing wrong with a Tadpole, but much lighter options are available - some pretty cheap. Especially since you almost always have a shelter option.

White gas is probably overkill for most AT hikers. Again, lots of lighter options. I recommend a home made alcohol.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, your sleeping bag. I'm not personally familiar with it, but a quick internet search tells me it is about a 35* bag with good reviews. Depending on your start date, many consider a 20* bag a better choice and some even a 15*. How cold have you slept reasonably comfortably with your bag? The liner will only add about 5* (not the 9-10* many manufacturers claim). Using your fleece etc. you will probably get by, but still be uncomfortable some nights. Personally, if I had the option, I would start with a warmer bag, then switch it out later on. Another important aspect of stretching a warm weather bag into more extreme conditions is added ground insulation. For $18 and under 4oz you could add this pad from Gossamer Gear. I've used it for several years and like it. Added to the ProLite 4 it will probably give you another good margin.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html?id=Lj7j2kWh:75.45.236.199

Have fun!!!

CowHead
11-10-2008, 10:36
I take another fire source

jesse
11-10-2008, 11:34
Its a litttle on the heavy side for me, but that doesn't matter, how does it feel for you. Have you done a fully loaded shakedown, over terrian similar to the AT, and enjoyed yourself. If yes you are oK, If no, you are still too heavy.

tomandcolin
11-10-2008, 16:12
Okay so the tents out and it looks like im on the road to buying a Seedhouse SL1, the multi-tool has been thrown in the river and the jury is still out on the stove. I'm a chef and i like the idea of having a rude boy "gourmet" stove for the rare days on the trail when ingredients will be available. Also living in england i had no idea what fuels where available on the AT and i was met by the same dumfounded expression in most shops i asked in. might give an alcolhol stove a try, i've got enought spare time!
Would love to get my packweight down to 15lb - having an operation on my ankle after xmas that might leave me a bit tender for the opening months of the trail!
The only reason i went for that sleeping bag (blacks quantum 300) is because its the only one ive been able to find that fits me in - im 6ft 7" and dont have an awful lot of money and that one was cheap, like the budgie! if anyone has ideas of XL sleeping bags or how to make an existing one bigger by some kind of frankenstein fusion that'd be ace! cheers! Tom

papa john
11-10-2008, 16:15
Another thing about that stove is that it is very loud. Shelter clearing loud. You can't even talk over this thing it is so loud. I had one in 2000 and carried it for about a week before sending it home.

Bare Bear
11-11-2008, 00:44
I get would definitely get an alcohol stove or make your own.

Nest
11-11-2008, 01:15
The only reason i went for that sleeping bag (blacks quantum 300) is because its the only one ive been able to find that fits me in - im 6ft 7" and dont have an awful lot of money and that one was cheap, like the budgie! if anyone has ideas of XL sleeping bags or how to make an existing one bigger by some kind of frankenstein fusion that'd be ace! cheers! Tom

Worst case, you can always get a couple of bag liners to boost the temp rating. A little bit heavier than a bag with a lower rating probably, but that means you only need one bag. Carry that bag with one or two liners (depending on what you need) and send the liners home as the weather warms up. Then just carry the bag during the summer, or even pick up a cheapie fleece blanket at walmart since it will get really warm for about a month and a half in the summer. Then as it gets colder get your bag and the liners back to yourself.

Strategic
11-11-2008, 02:35
Okay so the tents out and it looks like im on the road to buying a Seedhouse SL1, the multi-tool has been thrown in the river and the jury is still out on the stove. I'm a chef and i like the idea of having a rude boy "gourmet" stove for the rare days on the trail when ingredients will be available. Also living in england i had no idea what fuels where available on the AT and i was met by the same dumfounded expression in most shops i asked in. might give an alcolhol stove a try, i've got enought spare time!
Would love to get my packweight down to 15lb - having an operation on my ankle after xmas that might leave me a bit tender for the opening months of the trail!

Most of the advice you've received so far has been good, so I'll just add a couple of caveats based on what you've said following up.

First, consider an even lighter tent than the Seedhouse. I'd recommend a Tarptent (http://www.tarptent.com/products.html) from Henry Shires, either the Squall II (I carried mine until I converted to hammocking, but that's because I'm an arthritic and the ground is not my friend) or even better the Contrail. That one alone would cut 3lb 5oz off your weight. All the Tarptents are also very long; the Contrail has 94" of usable floor length, which will easily accommodate even a very tall guy like you.

Second, the stove. Don't bother with white gas, it's just too heavy for this and you're not going to be at any altitude that will be a problem for other stoves. I'm a very serious cook, on trail or off, and I've been very happy with canister stoves over the years. I'd recommend mine, but it's long since discontinued and no one now makes anything like it (it's an old foldable pure butane stove that uses lighter refill cartridges, 6oz including the windscreen) but there are still excellent choices out there for the serious cook. If I was in the market now, I'd probably get a MSR Pocket Rocket (http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/pocketrocket.asp). That would save you another 15 oz on the stove alone since the PR weighs only 3.5oz, while the fuel canisters weigh 8oz full and 4oz empty (about what you fuel bottle weighs and you can find them everywhere in the states.) Do not get a Jetboil, it has no real use beyond boiling water (though it is really good at that.) The same is true of alcohol stoves, though they take longer to boil but weight even less than a PR. I wouldn't recommend either for anyone who really wants to be able to cook.

Finally, there's the dreaded pack question. I'd suggest a much lighter pack than the Osprey, especially if you can spring for a ULA pack. These are the best made and designed packs anywhere, and they're lighter than anything else with a frame. My personal favorite is the ULA Circuit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm), a 60 liter pack with one of the best suspension systems you'll find. It comes in at the shockingly light weight of 2lb, which would cut another 2lb 2oz off your weight.

Just rethinking your big three like this could save you (at least with my picks :D) 5lb 14.5oz and get you down nicely under 15lb total. Whatever you choose, here's hoping for a good hike and a successful thru!

phillycheze
11-13-2008, 17:57
Okay so the tents out and it looks like im on the road to buying a Seedhouse SL1

don't ditch a good tent. just leave it at home and only carry the fly, poles, and footprint; the 'pitchlight' method. cuts weight by over half.

phillycheze
11-13-2008, 18:00
[quote=Strategic;722853]Finally, there's the dreaded pack question. I'd suggest a much lighter pack than the Osprey, especially if you can spring for a ULA pack. These are the best made and designed packs anywhere, and they're lighter than anything else with a frame. My personal favorite is the ULA Circuit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm), a 60 liter pack with one of the best suspension systems you'll find. It comes in at the shockingly light weight of 2lb, which would cut another 2lb 2oz off your weight.[quote]

its out of stock

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2008, 18:03
".....best made and designed packs anywhere"?

Well, I'd say that's a matter of personal preference.

While the ULA pack in question is certainly lighter than the Osprey, I don't think it's anywhere near as comfortable, versatile, or most of all, durable.

Nest
11-13-2008, 18:16
".....best made and designed packs anywhere"?

Well, I'd say that's a matter of personal preference.

While the ULA pack in question is certainly lighter than the Osprey, I don't think it's anywhere near as comfortable, versatile, or most of all, durable.

I think durability should outweigh a few ounces on a thru hike. Especially with your pack. It carries all the weight, gets snagged by all the branches, gets dropped on the ground occasionally, and drug around and beat up when putting it in peoples trunks and back of trucks.

tomandcolin
11-26-2008, 21:47
Right, made some alterations - going for an Osprey Exos pack due out next year. Tips the scales at 35oz. I'm a big clumsy old fool and i want something moderately hard wearing and this seems to tick all the boxes on weight, features and durabitly: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=5438&v=1

I think the idea of a tarp tent is out as i'm worried i'm too big and if we hit a week of heavy rain i dont think any part of me or my posessions will remain dry. Oh and getting one imported to the UK is a total ball ache. Might change my mind on the trail, we shall see. Gonna go for a Seedhouse SL1 instead as they are readily available and relatively light at 2lb 6oz

I'm still coming up blanks on the XL sleeping bag offensive, need a 20 deg down bag to comfortably fit a 6ft7 englishman - Anyone know anything about LaFuma Warm N Light bags? Was looking at the 1000 model weighing in at 2lb 3oz.

Not normally too bothered about getting a bag that fits but seeing as i'll be sleeping in the bugger for numerous months i'd like to feel as snug as the proverbial bug, any ideas anyone???