PDA

View Full Version : Can you keep your pack inside a solo tent?

LoveSupreme
11-09-2008, 21:34
Howdy! Quick question for y'all. I've done a bit of bike camping, so it's easy to carry a 2-person tent along and stow my panniers inside the tent.

I'm planning to do some hiking on the AT next year, and found that my tent is too bulky. I'm checking out some solo tents (particularly the BA Seedhouse SL1) and am wondering where you stow your pack at night. Outside somewhere? Inside the tent? In the vestibule? Do you do something different when it's clear out as opposed to when it's rainy?

Many thanks,
LS

Phreak
11-09-2008, 21:49
Outside if the weather is nice or under the vestibule during rain/snow. I will sometimes use my pack to prop myself up for a better night of sleep.

Jim Adams
11-09-2008, 21:55
I am 5'6" and can put my pack across the bottom of my Hubba and sleep with my feet elevated on the pack and it remains very comfortable. I put it in vestibule if I need more room in the tent for any reason.

geek

weary
11-09-2008, 22:02
Howdy! Quick question for y'all. I've done a bit of bike camping, so it's easy to carry a 2-person tent along and stow my panniers inside the tent.

I'm planning to do some hiking on the AT next year, and found that my tent is too bulky. I'm checking out some solo tents (particularly the BA Seedhouse SL1) and am wondering where you stow your pack at night. Outside somewhere? Inside the tent? In the vestibule? Do you do something different when it's clear out as opposed to when it's rainy?

Many thanks,
LS
You will never know until you try. But it depends on the size of the tent -- and the size of your pack. Maybe someone on WB can give you better advice.

But for what its worth, it really doesn't matter. You'll need a waterproof pack cover, regardless. And waterproof pack covers work perfectly well, whether on your back, or stacked against a tree.

Weary

KG4FAM
11-09-2008, 22:04
I have a Seedhouse SL1. I keep it at my head as kind of a pillow.

saimyoji
11-09-2008, 22:08
i use the non sl seedhouse. my pack is a 5700ci horn-of-plenty, and it makes a great tent buddy. just make sure to secure any dangly poky things that may puncture, scratch your tent material.

rafe
11-09-2008, 22:26
If your pack is a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone and your tent is a Tarptent Rainbow, absolutely, yes. Back in the old days I used to carry an external frame pack and used a smaller tent... and left the pack outside, under its pack cover.

Serial 07
11-09-2008, 22:28
i usually have a "pack explosion" once my tent is set up...so my pack lays next to me or underneath my feet or maybe under my head...BA seedhouse or the hubba hubba are great choices for my kinda lifestyle...

pyroman53
11-09-2008, 22:35
Pack explosion...or pack implosion...all I know is after I set everything up, hang my bear/mouse bag, make a pillow outta my clothes, and leave my stove and pot outside for the night, my pack has a few bandaids and other knick knacks left in it. Its pretty empty and as long as its not too wet, can easily go at the head or foot of my tent. Makes a good platform for my pillow, and in cold weather keeps my feet off the cold ground when I use my 3/4 pad.

Erin
11-09-2008, 22:37
I also have a very small tent. In cold/rain, in the tent as a foot base. Very good to keep those feet lifted at night. In better weather, outside the tent with a pack cover. No food, but pockets open to avoid chew thrus by critters. Out west, hung on bars provided at capsites with pockets open. The critters can sniff around, but at least won't chew in.

Lyle
11-09-2008, 22:39
I've been using The One lately and I have plenty of room to bring the mostly empty pack into the tent with me. The One protrudes out somewhat on the long side opposite the door, so the pack fits in there, right next to me. Handy and still leaves a comfortable amount of room for sleeping.

TwoForty
11-10-2008, 02:42
I usually put the pack in its rain cover and lean it agaisnt a tree. if empty, it would also fit into the SL1.

Marta
11-10-2008, 07:28
Henry Shires Tarptents have plenty of room for the pack, too. As others have said, I often put the pack under either my head or my feet.

Mrs Baggins
11-10-2008, 07:41
I'm under 5' tall so it's very easy for me to keep my pack at the foot of my Hubba. Keeps me from sliding down too far during the night with my feet against the pack.

Egads
11-10-2008, 08:00
Supreme,

Love Maybe you should set up your tent and try it out. Not all tents, packs, and people are the same.:-?

Please let us know if you can keep your pack inside your solo tent.

Lellers
11-10-2008, 10:20
It depends on your gear and comfort level. As others have said, give it a try and you'll find out. I use a small REI UL pack and an MSR Hubba. When I'm set up for the night, nearly everything is out of my pack, and it fits either at my feet or head. If I need to stow it outside, it easily fits in the vestibule.

LIhikers
11-10-2008, 21:09
I usually put my pack up on a rock, stump, downed tree, or some other object and cover it with my pack cover. I don't like to take a lot of stuff in my tent even though there is room.

karoberts
11-10-2008, 21:49
My Seedhouse SL1 has enough room for me (5'8), my dog (50 lbs), and my pack in the vestibule. I could ditch the dog and put the pack inside.

Pickleodeon
11-15-2008, 12:23
I have the sierra designs lightyear 1 person tent, and I can fit in my tent with my pack. I put it at my feet or up above my head sometimes. I even spread some stuff on one side of me, like extra things that came out of my pack. I am only 5'2" though, so that allows for a little extra room.

Mags
11-15-2008, 15:25
I am also on the short side (5'6") and use a Wild Oasis.

I take a half length pad, put the pack under my feet and clothing under my head/neck area.

Volia! Everything fits in my small shelter.

walkin' wally
11-15-2008, 15:31
Henry Shires Tarptents have plenty of room for the pack, too. As others have said, I often put the pack under either my head or my feet.

Yes, I have a Tarptent Rainbow and the pack has plenty of room near my feet inside the tent