PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Driclime or Fleece

hnryclay
11-10-2008, 01:04
For years I have used the following; Baselayer, half zip polyester sweater, fleece if below 20 degrees, and then rain shell if needed. How would the much lauded Driclime fit in? Could I drop both the half zip sweater and the fleece? I am trying to do away with the fleece anyway, because it is a hassle to pack. The Driclime seems to fit the bill for winter backpacking, since I will be using a down jacket when I am in camp.

kayak karl
11-10-2008, 01:17
For years I have used the following; Baselayer, half zip polyester sweater, fleece if below 20 degrees, and then rain shell if needed. How would the much lauded Driclime fit in? Could I drop both the half zip sweater and the fleece? I am trying to do away with the fleece anyway, because it is a hassle to pack. The Driclime seems to fit the bill for winter backpacking, since I will be using a down jacket when I am in camp.
when i seach "Driclime" i come up with shirts, vests, jackets. which product are you looking to buy? i would be interested in what you found to replace your fleece or sweater. they are hard to pack.

hnryclay
11-10-2008, 01:24
The Marmot Driclime wind shirt is what I am referring to, it seems that people love to use it but I don't know if it will work for what i need.

Jim Adams
11-10-2008, 08:04
hnryclay,
I purchased a driclime wind shirt last year for the PCT as I was told that it is the perfect jacket for the PCT. Well, I like it, it is warm for it's weight, it fits great and seems to be holding up very good and it packs small...but...it is not a rain jacket and therefore will resist rain for quite a while but will eventually soak thru. I have found that it worked very well on the southern half of the PCT due to very little rain but once I came back home I find that I don't use it very much. It just seems like it doesn't prove useful enough to carry once I was back into the season changes, ie: not warm enough for winter use, not dry enough for spring use, most of the time due to lower elevations in the east it is too warm for summer and in the fall, too warm to hike in and not warm enough for night time camp use. Seems that although I do like the jacket, I don't use it much here in the east but it is a good product as long as it is kept in it's element.
Hope that helps.

geek

Peaks
11-10-2008, 09:10
My driclim shirt replaces the half zip sweater. I'd still use a base layer, and still carry a fleece for cooler weather. And I carry raingear as well.

Time To Fly 97
11-10-2008, 10:54
My driclime is going stron after like 7 years. I wear it all the time whether biking or hiking. Packs small and breaths excellently. Resistant to drizzle or light rain. I usually carry fleece also.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Old Grouse
11-10-2008, 11:02
Ditto to what Peaks said.

SloHiker
11-10-2008, 14:47
If I were still using my Driclime pieces for backpacking (I still use them for casual wear and day hiking - still going strong after 10+ yrs) I'd agree completely with Peaks.

With the advent of unlined "ultralight shell/wind shirts" in the 3-4 ounce range (i.e. Patagonia Houdini, Golite Wisp) I've abandoned my Driclime top in exchange for a Smartwool half-zip base layer and an ultralight shell. I find this combo a bit more versatile for less or equal weight.

canoehead
11-10-2008, 14:54
Ditto with Peaks & OG
It's my favorite and in my pack or I'm wearing it.

A-Train
11-10-2008, 16:53
The Marmot Driclime wind shirt is what I am referring to, it seems that people love to use it but I don't know if it will work for what i need.

You are right. Everyone loves this thing. Almost convinced me I needed to buy one. Problem is I couldn't figure out what to actually use it for! It doens't seem to logically fit into a clothing system. Isn't water proof, can't take the place of a warm layer (not as warm as down jacket/fleece) and isn't a base layer. Yes it blocks the wind well, but so does a rain jacket.

The thing looks cool and all, but IMO that's kinda where it ends.

Peaks
11-10-2008, 17:02
You are right. Everyone loves this thing. Almost convinced me I needed to buy one. Problem is I couldn't figure out what to actually use it for! It doens't seem to logically fit into a clothing system. Isn't water proof, can't take the place of a warm layer (not as warm as down jacket/fleece) and isn't a base layer. Yes it blocks the wind well, but so does a rain jacket.

Think like an onion: (layers) For me the windshirt is just right to put on when it gets a little cool, but not so cool that I want a heavier layer like fleece.

neighbor dave
11-10-2008, 18:09
Think like an onion: (layers) For me the windshirt is just right to put on when it gets a little cool, but not so cool that I want a heavier layer like fleece.
:-? yup, there are times, more often than not, i'd rather be wearing the dri-clime than wearing a rain jacket, two completely different jackets for two completely different uses. :-?
dri-clime feels good, rain jacket too stuffy and collects more condensation on the inside to make you wet when it aint even rainin' out.:-?

Jim Adams
11-10-2008, 19:39
With the advent of unlined "ultralight shell/wind shirts" in the 3-4 ounce range (i.e. Patagonia Houdini, Golite Wisp) I've abandoned my Driclime top in exchange for a Smartwool half-zip base layer and an ultralight shell. I find this combo a bit more versatile for less or equal weight.

This is one of my set-ups now...works great.:sun

exactly!!!!!!

geek

A-Train
11-10-2008, 22:59
hnryclay,
I purchased a driclime wind shirt last year for the PCT as I was told that it is the perfect jacket for the PCT. Well, I like it, it is warm for it's weight, it fits great and seems to be holding up very good and it packs small...but...it is not a rain jacket and therefore will resist rain for quite a while but will eventually soak thru. I have found that it worked very well on the southern half of the PCT due to very little rain but once I came back home I find that I don't use it very much. It just seems like it doesn't prove useful enough to carry once I was back into the season changes, ie: not warm enough for winter use, not dry enough for spring use, most of the time due to lower elevations in the east it is too warm for summer and in the fall, too warm to hike in and not warm enough for night time camp use. Seems that although I do like the jacket, I don't use it much here in the east but it is a good product as long as it is kept in it's element.
Hope that helps.

geek

You make a good point. Maybe good for SoCal PCT where an actually rain jacket (usually) isn't needed and is windy as hell. For the AT, it isn't very practical, unless you wanna use it in leiu of a fleece during warmer weather.

Peaks also makes a good point. It is a good layering tool. But, this is supposing one isn't obsessed with pack weight and can legitimize an extra clothing article. On a long hike I would never carry more than a base layer, warm layer and rain jacket.

hnryclay
11-10-2008, 23:49
Thanks for the input, seems like the Driclime is alright for a lot of things, just not what I need it for. This leads me to look for a new more compact fleece perhaps, or a better sweater, with a wisp like windbreaker.

hnryclay
11-11-2008, 01:09
I just purchased a Montbell UL Thermawrap. It will be my new insulating piece instead of my old fleece, should work great in the winter!! Coupled with a Precip, and if needed a down vest I always carry, should be good around camp to the real low digits more then I need for around southwest Virginia. Thanks for the help.

kayak karl
11-11-2008, 08:12
i was wondering what sweater/fleece would you ware as a staple for winter ware. Jak post somewhere, he wares a wool sweater in the winter and adds to THAT as it gets colder (keeping the easier items to pack in the pack) What do u do?
i asked hnryclay, not hijacking the thread:D

Mags
11-11-2008, 17:32
If you hike all day and don't spend much time in camp, the lined windshirt is a great layer if you are on the go all day. Not as warm as a Thermwrap type shirt, but that's an advantage IMO. I use a lined windshirt in in place of a fleece.

If you tend to spend more time in camp (or don't get into your sleeping bag right away), than a primaloft type jacket is the way to go. (Fleece is a bit heavy and bulky, but it will still work if that is what you have).

Wags
11-12-2008, 01:14
fleece gets such a bad rep for bulk and weight, but i like it. a lot more durable than all those super light down thingies (albiet not as warm). plus if you get one w/ full zip you can wear it in almost all 3 seasons not called summer. kind of like jak's wool sweater motto, but polyester. rain jacket serves as wind block for me.

Lyle
11-12-2008, 12:31
My combo is my wicking layer, a REI Primaloft jacket (similar to a ThermaWrap) that has a great hood, and a rain shell. I use this for three season.

For winter I change to heavier weight skin layer and add a Patagonia Primaloft vest (XL) to go over the REI without compressing it. Very versatile and not a lot of extra weight. Add to this my winter bag and appropriate gloves,hat, and possibly booties, and I can handle most temps pretty well, hiking or camping without the bulk and weight of fleece. Love my fleece around home tho'.

Mags
11-12-2008, 16:27
This thread just shows what has always been said: There is no right way or best when it comes to gear. :)

(I have a Patagucci fleece I wear around town as well. High quality, warm (300 wt) fleece that is a tight enough weave where it blocks all but the strongest wind. I also paid $4 for it a thrift store!)

As for winter (ski touring), I now wear full zip wool sweater. I find wool does breath better than synthetics, naturally repels the snow, is warm when damp. It is good for the mainly cold, dry conditions I see in Colorado. It bulky, but since I wear it all day, I don't mind. I like the retro look, too. ;)

I have a light generic nylon shell over that if need be.

bigcranky
11-13-2008, 16:32
I just got back from a three-day hike in the Smokies. Highs around 40, very windy on the ridgelines. For the first time in years, I left my Driclime wind shirt at home. I brought an ultralight single-layer wind shirt to wear over my light wool base layer, and a new rain shell in case I needed more wind protection.

I can sum up my experience in one word, but that word is not printable here.

First, the UL single layer wind shirt. Simply put, not warm enough even while actually hiking in temps below 40 and high wind. Hiking makes me sweat, and the wind chilled that sweat to the point where I started having some problems.

The Monbell Peak shell: this worked okay, but it mostly just held in all the sweat. On the coldest morning, I wore a microfleece zip tee with the Peak jacket on top. While I sweated I was able to manage my temperature by zipping and unzipping as needed. So it worked okay, but not as well as the Driclime has worked in the past.

When I look back at photos from many years of winter hiking, I am *always* wearing my Driclime jacket. Always. I basically never take the thing off. Why I left it home this time will remain a mystery.

To answer the OP's question about where it fits in my layering system: it's the wind layer in cold weather hiking. The 4-layer system I use is a light base layer, wind layer, insulation layer, and shell layer. The individual layers change depending on the weather. In cold weather, the Driclime is a great wind layer over a light base layer. (In warm weather with cool nights, the Driclime makes a great insulation layer.)

hnryclay
11-18-2008, 21:14
UPDATE:

I have been wearing my Montbell Themawrap, it is by far warm enough to replace my fleece, BUT maybe to warm to use while hiking unless it is cold <25` F. I have been wearing it the last few nights over long sleeve polypro mid weight shirt, and have been toasty while walking the dogs about 2 miles. 28 when I left the house tonight, with about a 10-15 mph wind, toasty with wool gloves, and fleece watch cap.

taildragger
11-18-2008, 22:11
I use my dri clime to fine tune my layering system. In cooler windy conditions, it is my only layer.

On a trip in AZ, it snowed through out the day, and then the temps would rise back up, then down again with more snow, wore the dri-clime the whole day, just unzipped to vent, and when the snow came, zipped it up and put on the balaclava to keep my head dry, worked great.

Back east I wore it as my primary layer, maybe a light poly long sleeve shirt underneath with dri-clime on top. This combo worked well in NY up until late Nov. when I stopped hiking as much.

In real cold weather, I stuff a down vest under it, and I can sit around in 10* temps with this and feel fine.

All in all its the most versatile piece of gear that I own. A rainjacket could replace it in my layering system, but I seem to sweat more in a truly waterproof jacket, so I just stick with the dri-clime

stranger
11-24-2008, 02:16
This is without a doubt, the absolute best piece of gear I've ever owned in my life. I just replaced my 1996 version with another one, and even though I have a brand new swanky jacket I am having a hard time breaking away from the old ratty one, one of the best products ever made.

Teatime
11-24-2008, 14:46
I have been thinking about getting a DriClime Windshirt as well. However, like some others here, I don't yet understand the benefit. Here is what I wear/pack for my layers in the Spring/Fall:
- Longsleeve wicking poly shirt (base layer)
- Fleece Jacket (insulation layer)
- Marmot PreCip Jacket and Pants (wind/rain shell)
This has worked very well for me personally. My fleece jacket is a cheaper model and quite bulky but does the job. If I can't ditch my bulky fleece jacket for the DriClim, then what's the point?

Mags
11-24-2008, 15:16
. If I can't ditch my bulky fleece jacket for the DriClim, then what's the point?

None.

The point is that some gear works well for others and THEIR style of hiking but not for everyone.

Myself, and quite a few others, love the lined windshirts.

Others don't.

And you know what? That's OK.

I'll just sum it up again why to use the lined windshirts for MY style of hiking (on the go all day, short breaks):

If you hike all day and don't spend much time in camp, the lined windshirt is a great layer if you are on the go all day. Not as warm as a Thermwrap type shirt, but that's an advantage IMO. I use a lined windshirt in in place of a fleece.

If you tend to spend more time in camp (or don't get into your sleeping bag right away), than a primaloft type jacket is the way to go. (Fleece is a bit heavy and bulky, but it will still work if that is what you have).

mudhead
11-25-2008, 09:26
I have been thinking about getting a DriClime Windshirt as well. However, like some others here, I don't yet understand the benefit. Here is what I wear/pack for my layers in the Spring/Fall:
- Longsleeve wicking poly shirt (base layer)
- Fleece Jacket (insulation layer)
- Marmot PreCip Jacket and Pants (wind/rain shell)
This has worked very well for me personally. My fleece jacket is a cheaper model and quite bulky but does the job. If I can't ditch my bulky fleece jacket for the DriClim, then what's the point?

I have a bunch of fleece. I also did not understand the benefit. I got a Craft knockoff for $25. No big deal. Then I wore it in nasty wind. Big deal.

I also have a really thin windshirt. I now only use it under the Craft.
If it is cold enough for a windshell, I want that little bit of fuzz insulation. It breathes so much better than raingear.

This was one of the things people I knew kept nattering about. I am stubborn, and not an early adopter. I will buy another lined wind shirt. Even if I have to pay full retail.

Johnny Swank
11-25-2008, 11:40

I carry mine damn near year-round instead of a base layer. Use it with with a short or long sleeve polyester button down shirt when it's cool, and under a down or synthetic puffy piece when the snow flies. It's by far the most-used piece of gear I own.

Here's a review I wrote awhile back. (http://sourcetosea.net/marmot-driclime-windshirt-review/) Mine's eight years old and going strong.

flemdawg1
11-25-2008, 12:23
So...It's basically a breathable windbreaker?

Peaks
11-25-2008, 13:10

Well, it's a little more than that. It's got a light liner, so it does more than block the wind.

mudhead
11-25-2008, 13:21

Yes. But the fuzz insulation does something different than hard shell over light fleece.

I have done the shell over different weights of fleece. Can't explain why it is different. Sorry.

John Klein
11-25-2008, 21:55
I used my Driclime for the first time yesterday. Temps were between 35-45 with rain. I used it with a lightweight base layer and a short sleeve synthetic T while hiking. It did not wet out and I did not get cold while hiking. I also wore it with a synthetic insulated jacket in camp. I even wore it to sleep.