PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail

dismalhiker
11-10-2008, 08:52
has anyone hiked the foothills trail in south carolina in like the last month?? i am heading out on it in a week or so and was just wondering about conditions and water and such? thanks for any info

Phreak
11-10-2008, 09:36
You can call Table Rock State Park or Oconee State Park and they can update you on the current water & trail conditions.

KG4FAM
11-10-2008, 10:23
Make sure to let us know how it goes, I am going to hike it about a month from now.

Summit
11-10-2008, 16:33
Or call Heyward Douglas (he also does shuttles) here:

http://www.foothillstrail.org/permanent/shuttledrivers.htm

He leads trail work crews several weekends a month. Very knowledgeable.

OldStormcrow
11-10-2008, 17:14
I've hiked the whole Foothills Trail in various seasons. I don't think that you will have any problem at all finding water. It crosses a lot of robust streams, goes around Lake Jocassee, and down the Chatooga River. Too bad it will be too cool to enjoy a swim in the river!

Summit
11-10-2008, 22:51
The Table Rock SP section of the trail is the driest. If you're doing the whole trail, I'd recommend doing it from Oconee to Table Rock. You get to ease into the more difficult ascents and descents. Doing it the other way, right out of the gate you hit a 4 mile steep ascent.

dismalhiker
11-11-2008, 08:49
yeah we hiked table rock 2 weeks ago and it seemed very dry. i was planning on going from ceasars head to oconee. i might go the other way