PDA

View Full Version : Happy 233rd Birthday USMC

Hooch
11-10-2008, 09:15
I know this has nothing to do with the AT, WB or most anything else on here, but I feel that it's an issue important enough to mention.

Today marks the 233rd Birthday of the United States Marine Corps. On 10 November 1775, the Continental Congress passed the Continental Marine Act of 1775, thereby establishing the Continental Marines. The Continental Marines would be the building blocks of what would eventually evolve into the world's finest fighting force, the United States Marine Corps.

The following decree changed the future of all naval infantry forever:

That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors and other officers, as usual in other regiments; that they consist of an equal number of privates as with other battalions, that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to offices, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve for and during the present war with Great Britain and the Colonies; unless dismissed by Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of Marines.

To all my Brother/Sister Marines/Green Sailors (you know who you are) here on WB and around the world, I'd like to wish you a Happy Birthday. I hope at some point today you'll take a moment to raise a glass to our beloved Corps. If you've never earned the title, then thank someone who has, for it by no accident or coincidence that you live in a free society, but rather by the hard work, sacrifice and dedication of generations of Marines putting themselves in harm's way time and time again. Happy Birthday Devil Dogs and Semper Fidelis!

Lone Wolf
11-10-2008, 09:17
Semper Fidelis

Blissful
11-10-2008, 10:44
A huge Thank You to our heroes, past, present, and future.

Many Walks
11-10-2008, 12:56
Semper Fi to everyone! Proud to be in this Band of Brothers!!!

TheKO
11-10-2008, 14:00
Happy Birthday - fellow Marine

Wilson
11-10-2008, 14:13
The world's finest fighting force is the US Army 82nd Airborne Division, no question. Marines are ok, just don't ask them to march too far.

Lone Wolf
11-10-2008, 14:15
The world's finest fighting force is the US Army 82nd Airborne Division, no question. Marines are ok, just don't ask them to march too far.

why do you feel the need to come in this thread and **** on Marines? jerk

Hooch
11-10-2008, 14:18
The world's finest fighting force is the US Army 82nd Airborne Division, no question. Marines are ok, just don't ask them to march too far.Says the guy who's unit catches rides in planes everywhere. This isn't a pissing match to see who is the world's finest fighting force, this is about paying homage toour Corps of Marines and celebrating our Birthday. Either contibute in a respectful and constructive manner or **** off. The interservice rivalry will still be around when you get back.

Wilson
11-10-2008, 14:55
why do you feel the need to come in this thread and **** on Marines? jerk
It's what paratroopers do best...drop in and raise hell.

you're right, should'nt have done it.... Happy birthday Marine Corps.

canoehead
11-10-2008, 15:03
happy birthday and many more

Lone Wolf
11-10-2008, 15:31
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/11/10/happy-birthday-marine-corps/

CrumbSnatcher
11-10-2008, 17:31
lost my father when i was 15 yrs old. finished up high school living in a apartment of my own, had permission to excuse myself and call in sick on my own and all that. my principle and counsler kept my situation pretty much quiet, i didn't pay taxes to allow myself to go to a public school.(thats what i remember being told?) i tested and did very well to go into the marine corp. that my counsler help line up. didn't follow thru and never did join.kids think they know everything til they grow up, and realize they didn't know nothing! wanted to be a marine since i was a little kid. so it was a big mistake. to this day, this is the only thing in my life that i regret!!! i have so much respect for service men,especially marines. i can even remember most of the fight song:cool: that i sang as a kid. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINE CORP.

cavscout
11-10-2008, 17:56
Happy Birthday fellow Devil Dogs (B) Yuuuut!!

johnny quest
11-10-2008, 18:24
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/11/10/happy-birthday-marine-corps/

thanks for pointing this out wolf. i hadnt seen it.
happy birthday to all my Marine brothers. Semper Fi.
God I miss it.

sheepdog
11-10-2008, 19:02
No better friend, no greater enemy. Happy birthday. :sun

mkmangold
11-10-2008, 20:19
And Happy Birthday to a branch of the US Navy! We are proud of you.

Hooch
11-10-2008, 21:36
And Happy Birthday to a branch of the US Navy! We are proud of you.

True, we are a department of the Navy. Fortunately, we're the men's department. :D

adamkrz
11-10-2008, 22:20
I joined the Marine Corps in 1977 and spent 4 years there, It was the best thing to happen to me at the time - It was the only thing that I didn't quit ( The drill instructors wouldn't allow it ).

Forever Faithfull - Semper fi. My brothers.

mkmangold
11-10-2008, 23:50
True, we are a department of the Navy. Fortunately, we're the men's department. :D

Really just a branch of the Naval Department. The Marines were found hanging out in the Men's Department. Either way, happy birthday!

take-a-knee
11-11-2008, 00:21
Okay, since one paratrooper had to be rude as hell, I've decided to tell my "Marine Story". In 78 I was an arctic infantryman in the 172nd Brigade in Alaska. We were the aggressors in an annual exercise called Jack Frost. Units from the lower 48 came up to train in the cold, and our job was to make theirs' difficult.

We patrolled every night and probed different units' lines. The 101st Airborne usually didn't bother to post any security, you could hear their yukon stoves roaring inside the squad tents. We would toss a CS grenade inside their tent for a wake up call.

Some Marines from CA (where it doesn't snow) were part of that exercise. When you got within 100m of their perimeter (they actually had one) you heard the familiar stacatto of blanks from an M16. In otherwords, they did their damn jobs, as they should. The only army units that could/would operate in that environment, besides us, were the Rangers.

I've never seen a Marine that wasn't a decent shot, and most were excellent. I sure can't say that for most soldiers.

Tony
11-11-2008, 00:33
From one Marine to others here, Happy Birthday!

kjumper1
11-11-2008, 01:31
Semper Fi!

Pringles
11-11-2008, 08:54
Happy Birthday Marines! Thanks for serving.

Beth (daughter of a US Marine)

ponyVet66
11-11-2008, 09:00
Happy Birthday Marines! Served with a few myself. Thank God they are on our side. Semper Fi.

neo
11-11-2008, 13:49
:)happy birthday to my brothers and sisters in the USMC:cool:neo

US NAVY 78-82 I served in the gator amphib navy on
USS TARAWA LHA-1

daddytwosticks
11-11-2008, 15:43
Some of my best friends are Marines...Thanks.

USN 1979-1985

Lone Goose
11-11-2008, 22:23
Semper fi... My is EAS April 5, 2009 and I'll be starting my thru hike the same month

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2008, 12:23
I wasn't on line yesterday and I'm sorry I missed this thread.

Just wanted to send a big thank you to all present and former Marines, and another thank you to all veterans from the other services as well.

Those of us who never had the privilege of having served owe an extraordinary debt to all those who did, and of course, to all those who still do.