PDA

View Full Version : Creative Ways to Make Money for your Thru-Hike?

2011_thruhiker
11-10-2008, 09:29
Okay-legal of course!

I am planning my thru-hike for 2011 and to pay for it, I have begun to sell things on Ebay. This way my budget doesn't take away from my bills, etc. It's money I didn't have before so I won't miss. So far-it's working!

Since I don't live that far from the trail, I thought about offering inexpensive shuttles and hiker services. It would also be nice to get to know some of you all too:-). I am still playing with this idea.

Ok, so what are you doing or did to earn extra $$$ for your thru hike? Did it/is it working for you???

Hooch
11-10-2008, 09:34
Work lots o' overtime or get a second job.

garlic08
11-10-2008, 10:02
In addition to earning more, I'd start cutting down on living expenses, if you can. Since you have a car, don't use it as much and start thinking about what you'll do with it when you're hiking. Can you sell it and not have insurance while you're hiking? Same with living arrangements. Can you live without cable, internet, cell phone, garbage pickup, a new CD every week, dinners out, etc? Any monthly bill you can eliminate or reduce will help lots. That can be hundreds a month, and can get you used to trail life.

Also, there's a wide range of budgets on AT hikes, from $1,000 or less to $10,000 luxury hikes. Your hike style will have a big effect on how much you need.

emerald
11-10-2008, 10:09
If you live near an outfitter, working there might be an option and could make it possible for you to buy gear at discounted rates.

Any temporary, part-time employment will do. There may be agencies near you which could assist with a placement. Jobs may be getting more difficult to secure. Better to act sooner rather than later.

You have time between now and your planned departure. Don't forget it is often possible to save a significant amount over time by not spending small amounts often on things you can do without.

Ask yourself, do you want to hike the AT or ______ (fill in the blank)? The stronger your desire, the more likely you are to succeed when the time comes.

superman
11-10-2008, 10:22
In Vermont they stand out by the road holding a sack that says "anything for a buck" written on it. The sack comes in handy if there's any road kill.:)

KG4FAM
11-10-2008, 10:32
Its more of a question of saving than earning. Don't spend money on anything you don't need. Junk food, booze, cigarettes, eating out, movies, ect. If you can move into a friends garage or storage shed for cheap rent you can save a ton that way.

Blissful
11-10-2008, 10:43
Just putting away some every month in savings adds up quick.

Good planning though!

Gaiter
11-10-2008, 11:10
don't knwo about the area u live in, but finding a second job working events/parties, anything from hanging drapes, decorations, server, bartender, all part time stuff that you can accept jobs for when u r free and aren't working your main job, lots of weekend events and such

are you animal friendly, if you are available on holidays, dog kennels always need extra help during any school breaks, school holidays, christmas time... most kennels are very busy during the summer but once school starts back they slow down, making your self available for those times i just listed could add to the list of quick cash....

Dholmblad
11-10-2008, 17:17
Its more of a question of saving than earning. Don't spend money on anything you don't need. Junk food, booze, cigarettes, eating out, movies, ect. If you can move into a friends garage or storage shed for cheap rent you can save a ton that way.
Come on now, booze and cigarettes are a necessity.

I would just cut down on spending, and work overtime.

A-Train
11-10-2008, 23:06
Good thread. Search the archives, there was a great thread on this several months ago.

Things I've done to make money and not be locked into long term work are: substitute teaching, tutoring, temp-work (seek out an agency or craigslist in your area), focus groups, working local music events and babysitting.

I keep a change collection in my room. I drop in my loose change and have "made" around 100 bucks in 2-3 months, which is money I would normally fritter away on coffee, bottled water, newspapers and other stupid stuff.

As others have said, cutting out booze, cigs, drugs and fast food are good, not only for saving money, but for your health, which will impact your hike. Likewise riding a bike instead of paying for gas is a double positive. Movies, eating out and new clothes can easily be cut out too.

Good luck, you can do it if you're dedicated enough!

mkmangold
11-10-2008, 23:54
And just start thinking like an UL hiker. Say to yourself "do I really need this?" and "can I use this for other things?" It's a way to simplify and prepare at the same time. It also steers your mind into a certain way of thinking. I'm working on getting my wife to think like that.

bfitz
11-11-2008, 00:08
So like, if someone doesn't actually have anything, what kind of things can they sell on ebay?

A-Train
11-11-2008, 00:25
So like, if someone doesn't actually have anything, what kind of things can they sell on ebay?

your soul, heart, ideas. Dignity is hot seller right now. I sold off my determination after my first hike for $37.50

superman
11-11-2008, 00:56
The part of the question that stumps me is that the answer should be a "legal" activity. I was going to suggest that you wait until retirement but at age 34 there may not be social security or retirement when you get to it. Maybe in your state you can make big money picking up cans and bottles?:-? It's Just me being helpful.:)

Joe8484
11-11-2008, 01:18

I sell trash :eek:

the famous line "one man's trash is another man's treasure" comes to mind. Anyway just last week I sold a few 1950's Tonka trucks that someone had out in the garbage....they ended up paying for my hammock believe it not.

Serial 07
11-11-2008, 01:29
your soul, heart, ideas. Dignity is hot seller right now. I sold off my determination after my first hike for $37.50

now that's funny...:D

fiddlehead
11-11-2008, 07:32
There was a story in the Bangkok post about a bank manager that was out of a job after the Asian (financial) crisis in '97. He was seen the following week out on the streets selling sandwiches from a tray tied around his shoulders. Said the wife made em, he sold em.
I guess in the states you might have some board of health problems but you could try it at festivals. I had a friend made a lot selling candy apples and root beer in PA a few years back. (my wife's sister thread's flowers together and sells them at red lights to motorists, why not?)
Lots of other ideas in that thread someone mentioned above.

bfitz
11-11-2008, 11:36
Actually (as every lot-kid and hippie already knows...) grilled cheese at festivals is always a hot seller especially if you have a few neat varieties of cheese or creative extra ingredient that makes em special...but that's really a summer time activity and the profits usually end up being canceled out by the cost of the good time and tickets. Conjuring money in winter is always a bit more difficult. Someone posted an idea on a similar thread a few years back....delivering yellow pages and phone books to apartment buildings...carrying them up the stairs and up and down hallways in their backpack...thereby raising money while also conditioning themselves for the hike...

2011_thruhiker
11-11-2008, 11:41
Pine Cones.....right now they are selling like hot cakes on ebay and I find them all over the place while I'm on hiking on the mountain I live on.....so far they have paid for my tent.

Gaiter
11-11-2008, 17:58
also there is craigslist to sell on, w/o all the fees of e-bay, easier to sell local

corialice81
11-11-2008, 18:05
Last year I worked 4 jobs and sold some stuff on ebay (like my kayak). This year I plan on selling my truck to get the moolah.

KG4FAM
11-11-2008, 18:20
Last year I worked 4 jobs and sold some stuff on ebay (like my kayak). This year I plan on selling my truck to get the moolah.you might be a redneck if you have more equity in your truck than in your home:banana

humunuku
11-11-2008, 18:30
When I use to deliver pizzas, I use to average $20/hr....very easy money if you don't mind putting 100 miles on your car a night

corialice81
11-11-2008, 18:33
you might be a redneck if you have more equity in your truck than in your home:banana

OR a poor, recent graduate

bfitz
11-11-2008, 22:29
Pine Cones.....right now they are selling like hot cakes on ebay and I find them all over the place while I'm on hiking on the mountain I live on.....so far they have paid for my tent.
Seriously!?

Blister
11-11-2008, 23:21
As those who know me already on white blaze; I am proud to be hiker trash. Since resently becoming unemployed in the last 3 days, I am just a statistic who was prepared finacially. I have enough $ to continue paying my more than min credit card bills from the 2006 cdt hike and enough to live on if unemployed. I am about to post a thread, probablly on the general thread of my newest idea and I would appreciate feedback.

As far as saving for a thru hike - where there is a will there is a way!