PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Camera

pyroman53
11-10-2008, 10:19
Christmas is coming and I need some ideas on a decent, lightweight (<8 oz.), water resistant, inexpensive (<$250) camera. Technolgy changes fast in this regard, and I couldn't find a recent thread on this topic. I don't know anything about the subject but I know many of you know a lot, so can you help me out? What would you buy?

2009ThruHiker
11-10-2008, 10:29
Hi. I've found this site very helpful in purchasing cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Kerosene
11-10-2008, 10:57
Assuming that you're purchasing this camera first and foremost for your backpacking trips, I'd consider looking for a camera meeting or exceeding these requirements:

weight less than 5 ounces, including battery
4+ megapixels (you really don't need 10MP unless you're a professional)
4X optical zoom (more is better, but ideally not a slow mechanical zoom, as this sucks up battery power; digital zoom is worthless)
water resistant or waterproof to a depth of 10 feet
long-lasting Lithium-ion rechargeable proprietary battery (at least 200 shots per charge; buy an extra one)
2" backlit LCD viewable in sunlight (2.5" is preferred)
image stabilization, so those pictures you have to take one-handed turn out halfway decently
optical viewfinder (rather than framing in the LCD, just in case you want to turn off the LCD to save your battery)
on-board memory really isn't very meaningful, but you'd need to be able to insert a 1 or 2 GB card; ideally SD format which will work with more devices
easy to interpret on-screen menu and instructions, so you don't have to fiddle with a lot of buttons that you can't remember how to use
Check out the Pentax Option W60 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/optio_w60.html), which costs about $250 on-line. I'll be considering this once my old Pentax Optio S bites the dust.

Lyle
11-10-2008, 11:08
I recently purchased the Canon A590 IS. I had been disappointed with the consistency of photo quality with my Olympus Stylus 600 so did a lot of research. What I liked about the Cannon A590 IS:

- 7.5 oz, includes batteries (Not the lightest available, but lighter than my dSLR)
- AA batteries - easy to replace or use a charger if you like
- True Image Stabilization, not just upping the sensor speed like the Olympus did that resulted in noisy images.
- VERY GOOD picture quality - CONSISTENTLY
- now only $113.30 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A590IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B0011ZCDKS

Biggest drawback - not water resistant. But neither were my film cameras that I carried for years without problem.

Good luck choosing - lots of options out there.

pyroman53
11-10-2008, 18:54
Are there any cameras that are just water resistant but not waterproof. I'm not sure what the extra expense is to be able to shoot pics under water...not sure I need that quality. Certainly, 5 oz is pretty light!!

kayak karl
11-10-2008, 19:30
I recently purchased the Canon A590 IS. I had been disappointed with the consistency of photo quality with my Olympus Stylus 600 so did a lot of research. What I liked about the Cannon A590 IS:

- 7.5 oz, includes batteries (Not the lightest available, but lighter than my dSLR)
- AA batteries - easy to replace or use a charger if you like
- True Image Stabilization, not just upping the sensor speed like the Olympus did that resulted in noisy images.
- VERY GOOD picture quality - CONSISTENTLY
- now only $113.30 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A590IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B0011ZCDKS

Biggest drawback - not water resistant. But neither were my film cameras that I carried for years without problem.

Good luck choosing - lots of options out there.
i have the canon 530. older model. great photos and uses AA batteries also. (i like cameras that are NOT rechargeable special batteries) A cheap way to water proof it is http://www.amazon.com/UNDERWATER-WATERPROOF-COMPACT-DIGITAL-CAMERAS/dp/B000UXQFLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1226359513&sr=8-2 took it down to 20' worked good.

thanks, im looking for a new camera for thru. will be following this thread.

bigboots
11-10-2008, 20:07
I use an Olympus Stylus 850 SW... It is AT proof. The only concern I have is recharging the battery. I love it! Check it out!

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2008, 20:58
I understand where you are coming from, Yet the weight wipes out a few digitals. While I look up a few models for you. Don't forget about the film waterproof disposable as an option.

Ok I am currently using a Fuji a820 8 Megapix and it weighs 7 oz with alky's I choose it, for the anti shake and 4x optical. $150. Water resistant is just about all of them. WaterProof is $299 on up.

Look here>>>
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e_1_5?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=waterproof+digital+camera&sprefix=water

Froggy
11-11-2008, 19:12
For what it's worth, and that might not be too much, I saw a digital camera in a bubble-pack at Kinko's. I think it was a Vivitar. It costs $15 and I didn't drop a zero there. It's the smallest one I've seen so far, the whole package weighed next to nothing. It came with a single AA or AAA battery and a USB connection and a CD. It is key-chain size.

The package didn't bother with specifications. But for the price and size, it might be worth checking out.

Oh, yeah - it came in colors. I remember pink or blue, maybe others.

Kerosene
11-12-2008, 11:43
People seem to think that disposable batteries are a better option than the proprietary rechargeables. I disagree, even for a thru-hike.

First, most cameras require 2-3 AA batteries, and those batteries will need to be replaced after 100 pictures or so (YMMV). You either have to carry spares or buy more at the next town stop.

A single rechargeable Lithion-ion battery weighs less than a single AA and should hold a charge for 200-300 pictures. If you're using a bounce box, then bounce the charger and carry a spare battery if you're afraid of running out. You might also be able to bounce the camera's USB cable so you can upload your memory card to an Internet storage box periodically.

Lyle
11-12-2008, 11:59
People seem to think that disposable batteries are a better option than the proprietary rechargeables. I disagree, even for a thru-hike.

First, most cameras require 2-3 AA batteries, and those batteries will need to be replaced after 100 pictures or so (YMMV). You either have to carry spares or buy more at the next town stop.

A single rechargeable Lithion-ion battery weighs less than a single AA and should hold a charge for 200-300 pictures. If you're using a bounce box, then bounce the charger and carry a spare battery if you're afraid of running out. You might also be able to bounce the camera's USB cable so you can upload your memory card to an Internet storage box periodically.

I bought some rechargeable AA's. Can still bounce the charger or carry it (pretty compact). Plus, I have the option of buying at any store if I get caught. I have carried cameras with proprietary too, no problems, but AA's give you an out if necessary.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 12:14
I use an Olympus Stylus 850 SW... It is AT proof. The only concern I have is recharging the battery. I love it! Check it out!

How do you like this camera? I have been contemplating their newer 10mp version of this camera as a Christmas gift this year. My wife and I usually buy one larger gift like this each year that is to both of us from both of us and have talked about this camera in length. Just can't go 100% yet on it.

Pointman
11-12-2008, 12:45
I bought the Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1MP http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000LXXJ1I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226507960&sr=8-1 for kayaking and hiking in Jun 2008 and I love the camera. I watched the price on amazon for about 6 months and got it for 198. Currently amazon has it for 287. I have taken a number of underwater pictures with excellent results. I have taken it on 4 backpacking trips and it has performed very well. I am planning a 9 day trip on the AT Thanksgiving Week and will be able to check how it performs in the colder weather. I highly recommend the camera at this point. The 850 is the newer version.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 12:50
Right, and the 1030SW is the even newer 10MP model. I had an Olympus when digitals first came out and was not really happy with it. I have had a Sony for 6 years now and like it, but it just doesn't seem to take pictures as good as it used to.

partinj
11-12-2008, 13:30
Not true on the Batteries i have the canon 540 it take two AA batteries i use 2AA lithium you can find in a four pack for $6.00 or i use everready rehargeable 2500ma. I get close to 600 pictures from the 2AA Lithium and over 900 pictures from the everready batteries. I can more then this if i turn off the screen and just use my viewfinder. Well good luck on your choice you might want check out kmart if you have one near you the are having a good sale on right now on camera. But stay away from walmart when you ask then antthing about the cameras they don't even know what they are selling.
:-?

scope
11-12-2008, 13:36

I agree. Buying a backup rechargable isn't the expense that it used to be and you can easily carry one in your pack as a backup as well as you would spare AA's. Even the chargers are typically light and small enough to pack. When you wear out the first battery, you should have a couple of days at least to get into town to recharge. Chances are you'll hardly use the backup if you're in town every few days or so.

The options for a water-resistent camera are very limited and pricey. I have a Canon SD1100, which has been going for less than $200 recently, and would say that it is a great option in a pocket-size camera. In terms of the affect of moisture which is probably inevitable, I would say buy the service agreement, which is probably a good idea anyway for these little things. I've had to use it twice and each time was able to upgrade as a result. Also, the smaller it is, the more control you are going to have in terms of keeping it dry.

Note - these small digitals almost across the board do a poor job in low light, no matter what the mfr's claim with their ISO settings. Nearly all, no matter what price point, will do a pretty good job with lots of light. However, I've been very pleased with the color I'm getting out of my Canon, which I believe is a weakness of the Olympus cameras that are water resistent.

pyroman53
11-12-2008, 21:59
Note - these small digitals almost across the board do a poor job in low light, no matter what the mfr's claim with their ISO settings. Nearly all, no matter what price point, will do a pretty good job with lots of light.

So, since I'm looking to take pics in the green tunnel of the AT, what do you suggest?

bigboots
11-12-2008, 22:26
I have yet to have any problems with the Olypus stylus. I have taken it below freezing camping trips (4ºF this past Feb.), underwater, extreme heat (Grand Canyon 120+ in July), and any other test I can thow at it. The only thing I haven't tested is the "drop proof" feature, but I trust them at this point. The only thing that you sould know is that the camera DOES NOT FLOAT, so don't drop it in deep bodies of water!

Mentioned above that the cameras don't take good low light pictures but I disagree, I have used it in all lighting and have enjoyed good pictures for the most part, any difference is negligable. Great buy!

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 22:31
I have yet to have any problems with the Olypus stylus. I have taken it below freezing camping trips (4ºF this past Feb.), underwater, extreme heat (Grand Canyon 120+ in July), and any other test I can thow at it. The only thing I haven't tested is the "drop proof" feature, but I trust them at this point. The only thing that you sould know is that the camera DOES NOT FLOAT, so don't drop it in deep bodies of water!

Mentioned above that the cameras don't take good low light pictures but I disagree, I have used it in all lighting and have enjoyed good pictures for the most part, any difference is negligable. Great buy!

I wish you had some hiking pics in your gallery, it might make my mind up for me. The freezing thing intrigues me the most about the Olympus. My Sony refuses to take focused pictures below about 40F and will not focus in humidity about 95% or so, even if not raining. For example, we were up on Tray in a heavy fog a few months back and very few of the pics I took on that trip properly focused.

bigboots
11-12-2008, 22:35
I will work on getting a variety of pictures in my profile.

bigboots
11-13-2008, 00:07
Ok, I posted some night pictures with and without flashs, some shots of horizons with no foreground and some with foreground. I also have action shots to show quality of moving objects. I also included a picture from the 4ºF night. The only underwater shots I have are garbage shots from messing around with the camera. I will take it to the gym tomorrow and get underwater shots in the pool. Enjoy!

scope
11-13-2008, 00:08
[quote=scope;723457]Note - these small digitals almost across the board do a poor job in low light, no matter what the mfr's claim with their ISO settings. Nearly all, no matter what price point, will do a pretty good job with lots of light. quote]

So, since I'm looking to take pics in the green tunnel of the AT, what do you suggest?

Just because you're in the forest doesn't mean there won't be good light. Shouldn't have problems until late in the day when the camera will want to flash even though you don't need it. Turn it off and you won't get a clear pic, even with image stabilization.

As someone suggested, go to dpreview.com and look at the reviews for various cameras. There you can see some samples of the high ISO output for low light conditions. However, best bet is to review some of the pics folks have posted on WB. If you see a shot you like and want to get yourself, then ask them what kind of camera they use.

Fuji supposedly has a good sensor for low light, but its not on every model, especially the smaller ones.

Also, the point was raised about freezing temps... I don't know what the accrued effects are, but in terms of temperature at the time of use, I typically keep mine in a chest pocket (again, benefit of a 'pocket' camera) which like keeping a water bottle in your sleeping bag, would mitigate freezing issues.

kayak karl
11-15-2008, 08:58
has anyone tried this camera http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_E60/ i always liked the Pentax SLR's

Secret Squirrel
11-15-2008, 09:51
I have a Samsung S860. I really like it. It was about $100 from Best Buy. I also bought an additional memory card figuring I wouldn't get to dock with my PC very often. It operates off of two AA batteries. I am able to get about 100 photos before the battery goes. It weighs 4.3. oz It is not waterproof, however. Here is the link

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9004588&st=samsung+S860&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218008587764

Also, this year at Christmas, a favorite among children are these drop proof/waterproof digital cameras for about $50. I am going to get one for my daughter, but I don't know how good thy are. A little heavy at 1.2 lbs.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10040288

Mocs123
11-15-2008, 10:38
I have the Olympus Stylus 720SW which is the slightly older (7.1 MP) version of the newer Olympus waterproof models. I have been very happy with it. I can take 200+ pictures on a battery without the flash, and I carry an extra one with me but have never had to use it. I have a few friends that use AA powered camera's and they are always having to change batteries (they use regular Alkaline).

If I were buying again today, I would probably go with the Pentax Optio W60 due to the 5X zoom (mine is 3X), wider angle lens, and better lens placement (I never have gotten use to the corner lens). I have to say though that the Olympus is all metal (but still light) and tough as nails. Mine has been underwater, in torrential rail, hail, snow, and dropped on rocks multiple times. If you want to see some pictures made with it, check out my webshots page, with tons of photos made on the AT and the rest in similar locations. Everything taken in 2007 and 2008 (most of them) were taken with the Olympus 720SW.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Mocs123?vhost=community&action=publicAlbums

rafe
11-15-2008, 12:31
You really can't go too far wrong these days. $250 is an ample budget. The only wee issue is that the lightest camera generally won't produce the best image. (And that will always be so, now and forever....) Still, there are plenty of cameras in the 4-8 oz range that will do nicely for the majority of shots that a thru-hiker might want to capture. I'd go with a name brand... Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus... and something with AA or AAA batteries.

In digital cameras, sensor size is one of the main (or the key) determinants of image quality. Smaller numbers = larger sensors = better image = heavier cameras. The numbering system is intended to confuse. A 1/1.8 sensor is bigger and better than a 1/2.5 sensor. The smallest/lightest cameras almost always have small-ish sensors. (It's all about gathering light...)

These days I hike with a Canon A620... a bit heavy, and about 4 years old. It's served me well.

gonewalkabout
11-15-2008, 13:04
I like cameras that use AA. I used one of the cannon "A" serries on the LT in 2004 for 20 days. I use lithium cells. They lasted for about 500 photos and this was in cold November weather. Nights 12-30 F and days highs were 40 or below.

The thing about the cannon A series is I've owned three of them and easch one has died in 0-2 years of use. I've meet others with the same experince. Often its the lens cover or the in/out movement of the lens that fials although my first one had a circuit problem. Last week my third cannon an A570 had a lense fail on the second day of a seven day trip in PA.