PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Asbestos Mine warning

peakbagger
11-10-2008, 13:54
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2008/11/10/95394.htm

While surfing, I encoutered this article about the abandoned Asbestos mine and prcoessing facility immediately east of the Long Trail on Belvedere Mtn. This is well north of AT junction. The trail probably doesnt have a lot of exposure but at least one of the side trails is just off the road to the site. There have been attempts to mitigate some of it in the past, but it would take a whole lot more considering the extent of it.

Peaks
11-10-2008, 17:06
The hazard from asbestos is not from the mineral in place, the hazard comes in when it becomes airborne. The article goes on to state that ATV's have been "playing" in the waste piles. I doubt that hikers have much if any exposure.

neighbor dave
11-10-2008, 18:05
:-?if my memory serves me correctly you can see it from the summit.:-?
cough cough;)

mudhead
11-10-2008, 18:21
Mine tailings should be avoided. Nothing nice involved.

garbanz
11-12-2008, 08:44
I once saw an old mine site looking east over the lake below spruce ledge shelter. Someone said it was an old asbestos mine. It is quite a distance from the trail itself. Is this the same one you're discussing?

rcli4
11-12-2008, 12:58
I slept on top of Belvedere. You can see some kinda mine from there. I have a pic I will try to post.
Clyde

peakbagger
11-12-2008, 14:19
Go on google earth and look for Eden VT. The mine is real obvious. There is a place marker for Belevdere Mtn 2 which is obscured by clouds. The trail runs alon the ridge to the west and goes over Belvedere 2.

NorthCountryWoods
11-12-2008, 20:48
There's a supposed cancer cluster in a 10 mile radius of the mile. Not sure if that is from people visiting the area or the dust being blown in the wind. Some of my favorite stretch of trail is within that 10 mile radius. Luckily sold our place in Westfield last year before this came out. Don't think this will be helpful to the market value up there.

I've been driving past the mine for years and always wondered how much of a health hazard it was.
You can see the mine from as far away as Elmore and Stowe. It's really obvious when a little snow lands on it.

peakbagger
11-12-2008, 22:58
Two years ago there were several big lots for sale, advertised as "bordering the long trail" when I checked out the adds ina bit more detail they were bordering the asbestos mine. I expect someone from outside the area ended up witha vacation spot with a view of the tailing piles:rolleyes:

DuctTape
11-14-2008, 13:09
Yep I remember seeing the mine from the summit and wondering what it was.

A fine mountain, that Belvidere.

NorthCountryWoods
04-26-2009, 12:22
Health department updated their initial knee jerk reaction-

http://healthvermont.gov/news/2009/040109vagmcaseseries.aspx

"Phone interviews with next of kin and VAG employment records have confirmed that three of the five people who died had worked at the mine, and two moved to Vermont after developing asbestosis, apparently from other work exposures."

As a real estate appraiser, I had numerous calls hoping to determine a value impact of the mine and this report. Unfortunately for the property owners, there have been no sales since the initial report to extract a impact from. I felt for them. This area has never been a high value place and this report combined with the current market kinda pushed it over the edge. Several foreclosures are popping up in Eden, Belvidere, Hyde Park and Lowell. I also hear there may be a couple lawsuits against the state for the report.

Well, at least they think (this week) being in the area is safe....just stay out of the mine.

Landshark
04-27-2009, 21:17
Yes, you can see it from Spruce Ledge shelter. Other members of our group said it was the asbestos mine but I declared it a UFO. Believe what you want!

Askus3
04-27-2009, 21:20
Here (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2770373420063208931mpryAx) is the view of the asbestos mine from Belvidere Mountain. Photo taken Sat. May 26, 2007.

Chenango
04-28-2009, 11:53
Go on google earth and look for Eden VT. The mine is real obvious. There is a place marker for Belevdere Mtn 2 which is obscured by clouds. The trail runs alon the ridge to the west and goes over Belvedere 2.

There is a flower shop nearby called the Garden of Eden ... in the vacinity of an asbesos mine.

Tankerhoosen
07-11-2009, 07:14
Camp Norris, a boy scout camp, has been shut down for the summer because of this.

peakbagger
07-12-2009, 10:22
There was some recent press that one of the prior owners is on the hook to clean up the site. It sounds like its going to be a couple of years before they start.