PDA

View Full Version : Water? Massie Gap to Damascus

Scrub
11-10-2008, 14:38
We are planning to hike from Massie Gap to Damascus on Fri, Sat, Sun this weekend. What is the water situation there? Our plans are to camp near the Spring at Buzzard Rock, and at Saunders Shelter, so our main water needs would be near these locations.

Any advice? Should we pack anything extra?

Lone Wolf
11-10-2008, 14:44
there's plenty of water at the piped spring on whitetop. saunders is probably dry so get your water on the creeper trail a few miles before

D'Artagnan
11-12-2008, 15:09
According to the Grayson Highlands website, the park is closed to the general public 11/15, 11/17 and 11/18/08 for "managed hunts". Don't know if this affects you or not. Just throwing it out there.

I went to their site to check weather conditions and was surprised to see the notice.

Rain Man
11-12-2008, 16:15
According to the Grayson Highlands website, the park is closed to the general public 11/15, 11/17 and 11/18/08 for "managed hunts". Don't know if this affects you or not. Just throwing it out there.

I spoke with Laurie P. at the ATC yesterday about that notice, which was total news to her. She called them and called me back.

Short story is that banner is very misleading. They are having some "managed hunts" away from the AT. Plus, the park is not closed, at least they said the roads were open for friends to come meet up on the AT Sunday evening.

Rain:sunMan

Tennessee Viking
11-12-2008, 16:34
We are planning to hike from Massie Gap to Damascus on Fri, Sat, Sun this weekend. What is the water situation there? Our plans are to camp near the Spring at Buzzard Rock, and at Saunders Shelter, so our main water needs would be near these locations.

Any advice? Should we pack anything extra?

there's plenty of water at the piped spring on whitetop. saunders is probably dry so get your water on the creeper trail a few miles beforeI was just at Saunders at the last bit of the SOBO run, but it was a trickle. I would head down to the Creeper/Taylors Valley.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2008, 18:02
I was just at Saunders at the last bit of the SOBO run, but it was a trickle. I would head down to the Creeper/Taylors Valley.

he wants to stay at saunders. that's why i said get water at the creeper a few miles before