PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Section in Dec

dkh178
11-10-2008, 16:26
My son and I would like to hike the full GA section but due to school and work schedules the only time we have is mid-Dec, Christmas break. What can we expect as far as weather? Worst-case scenario. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Phreak
11-10-2008, 16:40
snow, ice, temps in the teens would be a worse-case scenario.

bloodmountainman
11-10-2008, 19:01
Cold and dry is the outlook. Cold and wet would be worst case.

Egads
11-10-2008, 20:21
Let's see, you live ~2 hours from the trail...Expect 15 degrees colder than at your house but with 15-20 mph more wind.

Bare Bear
11-10-2008, 23:47
Actually be prepared for anything in the Smokies but I have had better luck in full winter than late fall and early spring. I can live with snow, it is dry most of the time but rain and cold is worse.

FatMan
11-11-2008, 14:38
December is one of my favorite months to hike in Georgia. On average you can expect daytime temps in the 50s and night temps in the 20s. But worse case scenarios can see horrible conditions where night temps have reached sub zero in higher elevations. For me, ice is much more of a concern than snow. Snow allows for decent traction whereas ice is often impassable. In the winter it will often rain, then as the front moves through temps will drop and the mountain terrain becomes a sheet of ice. I have seen flash freezes where rain and fog turn to ice on the ground and in the trees in a matter of seconds as temps plummet. I strongly recommend you be familiar with all exit points in case of severe conditions. But with worse case scenarios aside, to me December is a great time to hike Georgia.

rasudduth
11-11-2008, 18:29
Lots of SOBOs finishing their thruhikes! There are about 10 or so aiming for a Dec 15 finish.

Summit
11-11-2008, 23:51
If you are blessed with seasonable weather, it shouldn't be too bad. But you could get almost anything in mid-late December. Worst case scenario . . . single digits over night, high wind 20s during the day. Best to carry a 0* bag or warmer, long underwear for your legs, down booties for your feet in camp, good head sock or better a Balaclava for full face protection, wool fingered gloves and mountaineering outer mittens, and layers of fleece and a wind-proof/water-proof outer shell jacket for your upper body.