PDA

View Full Version : Water between Watuaga Dam and Damascus

Jay B.
11-10-2008, 16:34
Just completed a 3 day between US 321 and Damascus on Thursday, Friday and Saturday of last week. For anyone planning to be hiking in this area there is water at Low Gap US 421 at the piped spring next to the concrete picnic table. It is coming out about the size of a pencil. At Abington Gap Shelter the water is coming out of the pipe in the ground about the size of a pencil lead. Probably take 10 minutes to fill a quart bottle. Did not check Vandeventer Shelter. Suggest a cache at Tennessee 91 if you do not want to carry. Appreciate Roy at Mt. Rogers for the shuttle. I highly recommend these folks!! Nice to deal with , great parking, reasonable rates, good information, and a shower to boot! Leaves are all but gone after the small rain and wind of Friday night but what a great hike!

ponyVet66
11-11-2008, 08:55
Thanks for the update. I'm going to be in that area this weekend and have been looking for just the information you provided. I'm mostly dependent on Abingdon Gap so I'm hoping some showers this week might increase that pencil lead trickle to something more substantial. Did you leave a car in Damascus? Parking?

Jay B.
11-11-2008, 09:00
Yes! Parking across the street from Mt. Rogers Outfitters for $2.00 per day and that includes a shower at "Dave's Place". Water may be better farther down from the piped spring at Abingdon Gap Shelter. Have a great hike! Jay B.

ponyVet66
11-11-2008, 09:03
How far down? Seems like the pipe was quite a ways down the hill the last time I made the trip. I turned around there and headed back up to the shelter.

Jay B.
11-11-2008, 09:30
I am guessing the piped spring is about 200 yds. down. Pretty steep climb but nothing like going down to get water at Vandeventer. I suspect if the water is now just dripping at Abingdon Gap Shelter you may find a small pool by going down farther. I have never carried a gallon of water before, but I did on this trip only because of how dry it has been. Glad I did because I was still able to keep my pack weight down around 28 lbs for the 3 day trip total weight. I did cache a gallon at US 91 which helped a lot.

TJBaker
11-11-2008, 23:27
I was at Abingdon Gap back in September. At that time the spring was as Jay B. described, barely adequate. I did go down further in search of additional flow and found an old road of sorts with a culvert about a hundred yards or so directly downhill in the gully. Several seepages (including the spring) drain into this and there was plenty of water running through the culvert and I collected from the downhill side.

Radar GA>ME 07