PDA

View Full Version : Suggested clothing layers: temps = high 20's/low 30's @night

Jeanette
11-10-2008, 20:36
Thoughts? I've never hiked this late in the year before. For nighttime I'm planning ont the following:

Top: Two shortsleeve synthetic shirts, one longsleeve synthetic shirt, wool sweater, and down jacket.

Bottom: long undies, semi-thick workout pants, and lined nylon pants overtop of all that.

Am I going to freeze?

CowHead
11-10-2008, 20:44
I would do a test walk before going to the trails walk 3 - 5 miles you'll know if your warm enough

Egads
11-10-2008, 20:46
Put it all on and step into your back yard. Come back in after an hour and let us know if you froze

Blissful
11-10-2008, 21:09
You won't need that hiking, that's for sure. :)

Not sure you need the short sleeve synthetic shirts. I wore a longe sleeve synthetic shirt, a fleece layer and my down jacket. Bottoms- midweight polartec pants, but could but silk underwear underneath. And my hat.

And how about the hat and gloves? Hat is the most important piece, IMO. That and a warm sleeping bag with good insulated pad to crawl into if you get too cold.

buff_jeff
11-10-2008, 21:27
I remember my first winter hike. I wore cotton pants. What a brilliant move that was. They got soaked during the day and froze overnight. It was a blast putting them back on. :D

verber
11-10-2008, 22:42
As others have suggested... the best way to figure out what you need to stay comfortable is best determined experimentally... ideally when you aren't 50 miles in. So if you have temps like that nearby, run some experiments.

For me, that would be plenty. I have been comfortable down to mid 20s F wearing trail runners, warm socks, mid-weight tights, nylon hiking pants, a heavy weight base shirt (patagonia r.5), thermawrap vest, unlined windshirt, polar buff as a neck gaitor, and warm hat, light weight mitss.

The neck gaiter and warm hat made a big difference.

--mark

Marta
11-11-2008, 07:59
This is my clothing list for those sorts of temperatures. I just sent the list to some people I am taking on a Beginner Backpacking trip this weekend, for first-time backpackers. It's worth noting that I am cold-natured and get chilled easily.

Knit cap
Fleece neck gaiter
Fleece mittens
Wool socks (2 pairs)
Microfleece turtleneck shirt
Microfleece tights
Fleece jacket
Fleece pants
Rain jacket
Rain pants

If I did not have the particular sleeping bag I have, I would also bring a puffy jacket or vest for wearing in camp.

I plan to wear the same clothing the whole time I'm out, both while hiking and for sleeping. I will, however, bring a dry set of long underwear and socks and hat to change into, in case I get soaked.

Homer&Marje
11-11-2008, 08:15
You wont need that many layers sleeping, unless you don't have a bag.:D

I had a few nights out so far in the 20's this year and I found that my wool socks, long undies, frogg togg bib pants, thermal shirt and long sleeve synthetic shirt with a hat did me well. I don't like the shoulder clips on the frogg toggs, but I find that the air space they create really insulates you well. Same "problem" most have with them is that they trap heat in the summertime when it's raining. That's not a problem in winter though.

I also like to hike in my Toggs when it's cold enough, but I did just get a brand new layer of "Gore Tex" like pants that I will try out, see how waterproof they are with a hose first:D (Note, I am a big guy, takes a lot for me to get cold)

Marta
11-11-2008, 09:07
You wont need that many layers sleeping, unless you don't have a bag.:D

"Night time" is somewhat ambiguous. I interpreted it to mean camp time as well as sleeping time. The maximum need for clothing is the period between being hiking and getting in the sleeping bag. One way ultralight hikers keep their packweight down is by hiking until they're ready to get in their sleeping bags. Most recreational hikers have several hours of camp time for cooking, eating, and socializing...which translates into needing quite a bit of clothing needed for standing or sitting around in the cold.

Fiddleback
11-11-2008, 12:33
If by nighttime you're talking about a sleep system then it becomes very difficult to recommend stuff. Successful sleep systems are dependent upon the conditions faced and the individual. That's why the suggestion to test it out first...to do backyard experiments...is key.

That being said, for temps in the 20s I start with a fresh, mid-weight SmartWool baselayer set (a little heavy but feels oh-so-good), fresh wool socks, a fleece balaclava and, usually, fleece gloves. If I'm in a hammock I add booties. If I'm not using a sleeping bag I add an insulated jacket with hood and insulated pants. IMO, the stress on fresh, i.e., clean and dry, sleepwear can't be overemphasized.

As long as you're dry, twentys and thirtys isn't all that cold:sun...in those conditions I find the least comfortable time of a trip in that first hour when I get up, do breakfast and packup. After that, it's all kind of refreshing.:D

FB

Jeanette
11-11-2008, 14:44
Thanks all! This morning it was mid-30s in my area so I spent some time outside and pretty well roasted in all my layers. :) So I think I should be okay and not too cold for my trip next week. I'm not too concerned about daytime... it's that "lounge time" when I'm done hiking but not ready for bed yet, as many of you mentioned. My secret weapon is a fleece balaclava, with a wool knit cap underneath. With that combo and all my other layers, I think I'll be fine. Thanks again everyone.

Kerosene
11-11-2008, 16:02
You should also think about your camp footwear. Assuming that your boots are damp from hiking all day, you probably don't want to keep them on your feet for the hours in camp before you're ready to jump in your bag.

Here are a few options to consider for temps in the 20s-30s:

PossumDown Socks (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/possumdown_socks.html) (2 oz): These kept my feet surprisingly warm given their weight. Adding a pair of silk socks underneath might increase the warmth a bit, but I think a lot of their warmth comes from all of the little hairy fibers holding in heat. In fact, when I put a pair of dry SmartWools over them, my feet felt a lot colder.

Integral Designs Hot Socks (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID4000) (4 oz): I really wanted to test these out, but they were on backorder and didn't arrive in time. I was hoping that this might be a good alternative to bringing camp shoes, particularly for immediately around camp.

Dirtygaiters
11-11-2008, 16:22
Thoughts? I've never hiked this late in the year before. For nighttime I'm planning ont the following:

Top: Two shortsleeve synthetic shirts, one longsleeve synthetic shirt, wool sweater, and down jacket.

Bottom: long undies, semi-thick workout pants, and lined nylon pants overtop of all that.

Am I going to freeze?

Without going into winter layering 101, my answer is No you won't freeze. Those layers should keep an average person warm down to those temperatures.

You might consider bringing 2-3 longsleeve layers, rather than the 2 s/s and 1 l/s, though. Short sleeves tend not to be ideal for winter. Some warm sleeping socks, whether they are fleece or wool socks, or full blown winter booties, are also recommended, as are a warm hat and gloves of some sort. Winter backpacking is a lot of fun. Once you've figured out what clothing works for you, you can get a better idea of what clothes you need (and what clothes you don't need) for other cold season trips.

Kerosene
11-11-2008, 16:30
Here's what I wore on my slackpack from Culver's Gap (Roan Mountain, TN) to US-19E (13.4 miles) a few weeks ago. Starting temp was 15F under sunny skies, with 4-6" of snow, 40 mph sustained winds over the balds (dropping to 30 mph over the Humps) with 70 mph gusts from the side (dropping to 50 mph over the Humps). Temp rose to 30F going over the Humps.

Lightweight Duofold long-sleeve zip mock (http://www.moabsports.com/web-pid-460C-Duofold-Varitherm-Mens-Zip-Mock-Turtleneck-item.htm)
The North Face Summit Series fleece (100 weight)
Integral Designs e-VENT Rain Jacket (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID1515)
Outdoor Research Wind Pro Cap (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/wind_pro_hat.html)
Lightweight water-resistant gloves
Light hiking pants
Integral Designs e-VENT Rain Pants (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID1516)
Garmont Eclipse GTX Boots (http://www.garmontusa.com/881003211.html)
SmartWool Lightweight Hiker Socks
Fox River X-Static Liner Socks

I stayed surprisingly warm in this get-up, even having to strategically unzip to vent when I was ascending out of the wind. When in the wind, I had everything zipped tight (although I'm glad the wind wasn't in my face).

The lightweight gloves were marginal: Nippy starting out or when cooling down, but just right while walking with a sub-15 pound daypack.

Adding a balaclava, or some sort of face mask, would have been nice but it wasn't necessary in this case.

I forgot to wear my gaiters, which would have been sufficient to keep snow from sneaking down to my feet when I stepped in some of the deeper drifting stuff. Fortunately I could dry out my boots that night at the hostel.

PJ 2005
11-12-2008, 19:25
Warm layer: fleece, long underwear, winter hat, 20 degree bag. If you get cold while hiking, hike faster. 20 is cold, but not that cold.

Wrap your sleeping bag around yourself if you get cold before bed.

Shade
11-13-2008, 13:10
What ever the layers, I suggest that the outer layers be zippered or buttoned to allow gradual increase/decrease of warmth or moisture/sweat evaporation. That way you don't have to stop and remove/add clothing, just unzip/unbutton a little bit for changing conditions.

Chenango
11-13-2008, 13:44
What ever the layers, I suggest that the outer layers be zippered or buttoned to allow gradual increase/decrease of warmth or moisture/sweat evaporation. That way you don't have to stop and remove/add clothing, just unzip/unbutton a little bit for changing conditions.

Shade - good suggestion. I have a jacket that zippers from the top and bottom. I use this to regulate things.

Also, I have loops on my gloves that lets them hang from my wrist when it gets to warm.

I love fall and winter camping. I am heading out this weekend near Goose Pond. I am hoping for snow rather than rain!

Homer&Marje
11-13-2008, 17:49
"Night time" is somewhat ambiguous. I interpreted it to mean camp time as well as sleeping time. The maximum need for clothing is the period between being hiking and getting in the sleeping bag. One way ultralight hikers keep their packweight down is by hiking until they're ready to get in their sleeping bags. Most recreational hikers have several hours of camp time for cooking, eating, and socializing...which translates into needing quite a bit of clothing needed for standing or sitting around in the cold.

You are right I misinterpreted that a little bit. But I, preferring cold to warm, will intentionally stand around doing camp chores whilst being cold. Not uncomfortably so but I don't bulk on layers to the point where I don't have any chill to me.

I like to be slightly chilled and then when it comes time for bed and I hit the sleeping bag it feels like the warmest, coziest spot on earth. Leaving a heated water bottle in there waiting for you is a good idea too.

And then at 4 in the morning I wake up to find the root in my back because I lost my pad and come to the realization that well, I have to keep looking for the coziest spot on earth.:D