PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hiker Trash - Happy Veterans Day

1Pint
11-11-2008, 09:19
This year for the first time in a very long time, I am at work on Veterans Day. It feels like any other day. :( Just wanted to take a break here and notice that today isn't just another day... it's VETERANS DAY!

I've been out for over 10 years but at times I still miss things about it... like being part of that larger group, all working together to make a difference.

Happy Veterans Day to the many hikers out there who've served our country.

Peace,
Laura/1Pint

neo
11-11-2008, 09:27
GOD bless all our veterans past,present and future:cool:neo

US NAVY 1978 - 1982:cool:

Bearpaw
11-11-2008, 10:14
A happy Veterans' Day to all who served.

Furlough
11-11-2008, 10:17
Happy Veterans Day to all.

Furlough
US Army (Retired) '85-'08

Yahtzee
11-11-2008, 10:27
I make no claims to being the most hoo-ah soldier in the history of the armed services, but that honorable discharge hangs higher on my wall than my law degree.

Happy Veterans Day to all.

US Army 1992-95.

Saint Alfonzo
11-11-2008, 10:36
I would also like to thank ALL of the VETERANS. PAST,PRESENT,FUTURE.. GOD BLESS YOU ALL... Saint Alfonzo U.S.A.F./ Air GUARD/ Fed. Civ. Service Tech. 1975-2008 ..

HikerRanky
11-11-2008, 10:40
Thanks to the veterans that have served our country over the many years, and to those that gave all, may you rest in peace.

Veterans, you will not be forgotten.

Randy

(USAF 1980 - 1986)

Pringles
11-11-2008, 11:45
Happy Veterans Day!

I just came back from an elementary school program where the fourth graders read a poem about veterans, the fifth graders read a little about each conflict, two Cub Scouts carried in the flag, and we all said the Pledge of Allegiance. I had the honor of playing taps, and then everyone filed out, as solemnly as a group of k-5th graders can. It was a nice service, and I hope the kids got a sense of what Veterans Day was about.

Thanks to all who serve and served!

Beth

JaxHiker
11-11-2008, 12:05
Thanks.

USN 89-95

Toolshed
11-11-2008, 14:05
I am at work on vets Day for the first time in many years. My company is having an event today to honors vets and I wanted to make sure I participated.
Thank you to all the vets out there!!!!

Toolshed
11-11-2008, 14:07
http://www.commissionercogen.com/VeteransDay03-X.gif

Footslogger
11-11-2008, 14:11
This year for the first time in a very long time, I am at work on Veterans Day. It feels like any other day. :( Just wanted to take a break here and notice that today isn't just another day... it's VETERANS DAY!

I've been out for over 10 years but at times I still miss things about it... like being part of that larger group, all working together to make a difference.

Happy Veterans Day to the many hikers out there who've served our country.

Peace,
Laura/1Pint
==============================

Thanks ...and same backatcha !! I'm ALWAYS at work on Veterans Day - just the way it is on the medical side of life.

Been out a tad longer than you but relate to your comments.

'Slogger
Proud Veteran
US Army Airborne Infantry
1968 - 1971

daddytwosticks
11-11-2008, 15:41
Was invited to my daughter's high school Veteran's Day Program yesterday. Was honored and touched by all the kids. Happy Veteran's Day and THANK YOU!

USN 1979-1985

Mags
11-11-2008, 20:29
I just called my "little" brother to wish him a good Veterans Day. He appreciated it.

If you know any veterans, give 'em a shout. I am sure they'll appreciate it, too.

Hooch
11-11-2008, 21:14
Yep, had to work today on Veteran's Day for the first time in years. Guess that's what happens when you're the low guy on the totem pole. Oh well. I'd like to say Happy Veteran's Day to all my brothers and sisters in arms. It's through the service of men and women who have given, sacrificed, bled and cried that we're the free nation we are today. Thank you, thank you, thank you for allowing me to serve alongside the finest in the world, regardless of branch of service. :D

Cutty
11-12-2008, 00:05
yes,
i would go back in the usaf and do a better job than
i did before, back in 1962-1966, it was a good place to
grow up and to think i have seen half the world before i
was 25 yrs. old. i thank all of the white blaze veterans out
there. you have done your time! lets go hiking!
cutty

Blister
11-12-2008, 01:09
Respecting Veterans Day (its not a happy day)

I literally grow up in a VFW, from an age before I could remember. My first memory; I was just 4 or 5 helping a paralyzed WWI vet play bingo at a VA Hospital. As a child I sat on may of knees and heard stories of WWI and WWII.

Later on my uncles were from the Vietnam War.

As we now watch our brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers and friends come home from the front lines, we need to take care of our own. Some of those brave individuals are going for the first time, Wolf is 39 yrs old, a first timer in the front. Srgt Rock went back 3 times? Luckily came back 3 times?

I don't know where I am going with this post, however I have walked thorugh a private hospital latley and I have also recently been through a VA Hospital. Somehow there is something really wrong, a young man puts his life on the line for our country and comes back nearly blind, the hospital smells like it can't keep up with the sanitation. The private hospital on the other hand had **** like aromatheropy when you walk in the door. The dude I visited out of respect for his father was part of a DUI accident.

I do not wish a Happy Veterans Day but a Respectful and Loving Vetrans DayI

camojack
11-12-2008, 01:30
Hey...where do ya think I started wearing camo? :D

However, my service was as nothing compared to those who gave all; they're the ones I always think about on Veterans Day.

Zzzzdyd
11-12-2008, 01:45
HAPPY VETERANS DAY

Fellow Vets.

U.S. Army 64-67

ChinMusic
11-12-2008, 01:50
Thank you, and thanks to all that have served.....

US Army 83-89
CPT - 63A

Zzzzdyd
11-12-2008, 01:53
Respecting Veterans Day (its not a happy day)

I literally grow up in a VFW, from an age before I could remember. My first memory; I was just 4 or 5 helping a paralyzed WWI vet play bingo at a VA Hospital. As a child I sat on may of knees and heard stories of WWI and WWII.

Later on my uncles were from the Vietnam War.

As we now watch our brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers and friends come home from the front lines, we need to take care of our own. Some of those brave individuals are going for the first time, Wolf is 39 yrs old, a first timer in the front. Srgt Rock went back 3 times? Luckily came back 3 times?

I don't know where I am going with this post, however I have walked thorugh a private hospital latley and I have also recently been through a VA Hospital. Somehow there is something really wrong, a young man puts his life on the line for our country and comes back nearly blind, the hospital smells like it can't keep up with the sanitation. The private hospital on the other hand had **** like aromatheropy when you walk in the door. The dude I visited out of respect for his father was part of a DUI accident.

I do not wish a Happy Veterans Day but a Respectful and Loving Vetrans DayI

I agree with and have seen much of what you say, but you might be overlooking a important point for some of us. Maybe we are HAPPY to be ALIVE and honoring friends we had that did not come home alive from where ever they may have served. Be it Viet-Nam like me, or Germany, etc. I personally believe I have an obligation to be as HAPPY as possible in honor of those that I lost.

Now the screwing we get from the DVA is a whole other topic....

chiefduffy
11-12-2008, 03:49
I ran into another Vet at the Harley shop yesterday (he and I both had to work), and he suggested all Vets should be off with pay on Vet's day, and those that never served should have to work. How 'bout it Obama??

Honored to serve, USN 84-96

StarLyte
11-12-2008, 06:51
Sgt. Rock's photo of his hammock in Iraq makes me proud to be an American.

Thank you to all that have served. :sun

mrc237
11-12-2008, 06:56
"Me, I just helped my buddies raise a pole, the real heroes are the ones we left behind" John Bradley USN one of the flag raisers on Iwo Jima. I salute all Veterans.

southpaw95
11-12-2008, 07:19
Go Air Force!!!

Usaf (1981-1987)

mountain squid
11-12-2008, 19:40
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs101.gifto all Veterans!!! and http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs101.gifto those still 'standing the watch'!!!

See you on the trail,
mt squid
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies3/rankn-cpo.gif
MSC (SW/SCW)
USN (ret)
1984-2004

adventurousmtnlvr
11-12-2008, 20:50
thank you and also to fellow veterans :) Personally though ... I miss the travel lol and all the various types of people you meet and funny things you learn along the way. This is silly but in my early days I was sooo naive. Was in the mess hall one day and had no clue that "most" southerners put sugar and butter on rice (back then) and northerners (most not all) put salt on theirs .... told you it was silly but that's what stuck in my head none the less, lol

US Army 1977 - 1980