PDA

View Full Version : How do you shade a quote?

hurryinghoosier
11-11-2008, 10:19
I have noticed that some of the WB's use a shading technique when repeating the words of another poster. I tried everything I know and cant get it to work for me. How do you do that?

2XL
11-11-2008, 10:25
I have noticed that some of the WB's use a shading technique when repeating the words of another poster. I tried everything I know and cant get it to work for me. How do you do that?

Like this?
Highlight the text and then hit quote.

Gorp-Gobbler
11-11-2008, 10:25

I use to click on the quote and high-lite it and it worked for me. See if it did this time.

superman
11-11-2008, 10:41
Like this?
Highlight the text and then hit quote.

This is a test.

mudhead
11-11-2008, 10:46
Easy way if you only want part of the post?

If I highlight "test" in the above post and hit quote, I get the whole post. Not that I mind,

might be an easy way, other than deleting after the quote.

Cuffs
11-11-2008, 11:17
I moved this to the Forum Help Topics, it may help others and fits here a bit better.

Pedaling Fool
11-11-2008, 14:29
Are you talking about this? All you do is hit the "Quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote. If you delete the [ ] symbols it will screw up the shading characteristic. But you can delete/add text inside the [ ] symbols.

berninbush
11-11-2008, 16:04
An alternative for the tech-savvy is to type

[ quote] (without the space)

Then copy and paste the text you want here.

Then finish with [ /quote] (without the space)

And it comes out looking like this.

Sly
11-11-2008, 16:45
I have noticed that some of the WB's use a shading technique when repeating the words of another poster. I tried .....

Just hit quote. If you want to eliminate part of the quote, left click and shade, hit delete or backspace.

Pony
11-11-2008, 18:57

Boy I feel like a dummy. :o I've been wondering for a while how you get it to show who posted the quote.

Alligator
11-11-2008, 21:08
Easy way if you only want part of the post?

If I highlight "test" in the above post and hit quote, I get the whole post. Not that I mind,

might be an easy way, other than deleting after the quote.
There also the quote button in the message button. It looks like a word balloon. You can copy and paste the selected text for quoting, highlight the selection, then hit the button. It's next to the number sign above the message reply area.

Two Speed
11-11-2008, 21:48
Next week we'll give the multi-quote option a "go."

Pedaling Fool
11-11-2008, 22:55
Next week we'll give the multi-quote option a "go."
But first we need to have a Test on the single-quote system and all its various forms. But I hope its an open-book test because I didn't take notes.

pyroman53
11-12-2008, 22:26
But I hope its an open-book test because I didn't take notes.

Test? Who said anything about tests?

adventurousmtnlvr
11-12-2008, 23:20
I have noticed that some of the WB's use a shading technique when repeating the words of another poster. I tried everything I know and cant get it to work for me. How do you do that?I had that problem in the beginning. What happened for me was I "skipped" a space. It took a good friend on here to help me figure out that you MUST begin typing right next to the ] at the end. If you skip even one space it won't do the shading but WILL still leave the quote in white.

also since this is a learning curve ... another thing I learned along my own path on this site was you can't past a picture inside a post UNLESS you are own Internet Explorer (well for me as I was using firefox and it took 5 people and a lot of testing on PM's to figure that one out). I thought I was dumb or something but someone finally said are you using IE and I said no, firefox ... and then I tried IE and bing bam bong it worked. I was doing it right all along just on the wrong browser... go figure

mudhead
11-13-2008, 08:43
Another oddball ?

Why has the "save" changed to "vote" in edit mode?

Not that it matters, just odd.

It has changed back.

Alligator
11-13-2008, 10:20
Another oddball ?

Why has the "save" changed to "vote" in edit mode?

Not that it matters, just odd.Are you kidding around:-??

mudhead
11-13-2008, 11:39
No. I have edited a couple times this week and seen it. Maybe I was on a poll thread. I have seen it since the server change. I will try to note the thread/post if I see it again.

I at first thought it was a clever reminder for people to do their civic duty.

Alligator
11-13-2008, 11:57
No. I have edited a couple times this week and seen it. Maybe I was on a poll thread. I have seen it since the server change. I will try to note the thread/post if I see it again.

I at first thought it was a clever reminder for people to do their civic duty.OK. If you can, try editing a few of your latest posts and see if it happens. It might be like you suggested that it was in a poll thread. Sometimes those can be so long it's not readily apparent that there was a poll involved:D.