PDA

View Full Version : How do I get from Holston High Point to AT on Iron Mt.?

No Belay
11-11-2008, 12:54
Recently took a short hike on the Iron Mt. Trail south out of Damascus. Went west across Cross Mt. to the old AT (Holston Mt Trail) and followed it to the communications complex past Low Gap campground. Bushwacked from there to Hwy 91. Things got confusing there as I couldn't find a way to bushwack back up Iron Mt with out going through someones back yard or private property. I had to do some serious road walking to get to a place where I could get into the wilderness area so that I could finish my walk to Carver Gap. Any body know of a place where Gov property hits 91 in the area of Blue Hole Rd/ Buladean or any trails in that area that would get me near the AT on Iron Mt?

TaTonka

Cabin Fever
11-11-2008, 14:47
I don't think you are going to find any decent routes to hit the AT again coming off of Holston Mountain. You would need to bushwhack up Iron Mountain.

Mountain Squid lives close to Blue Hole. He knows the area as well as anyone.

No Belay
11-11-2008, 20:35
I don't think you are going to find any decent routes to hit the AT again coming off of Holston Mountain. You would need to bushwhack up Iron Mountain.

Mountain Squid lives close to Blue Hole. He knows the area as well as anyone.

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind the bushwacking part, that's what I did on the last trip. I just didn't like having to tresspass to get to the base of Iron Mt. I'll PM Mountain Sqid and see if he knows of any good coridors.

Thanks again.

TaTonka

mountain squid
11-12-2008, 17:07
To the best of my knowledge there aren’t any access points/trails off of TN91 other than at Cross Mt Rd. The other access point before Watauga Dam would be Watauga Dam Rd. I suppose you could follow the power lines up, eventually they cross the AT on Iron Mt. For Trail Maintenance we follow a private road 1/3 of the way up the mountain, where there is a locked gate.

There are 2 forest service roads (I haven’t driven either of them) coming off of Holston Mt to TN91.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

No Belay
11-12-2008, 17:40
To the best of my knowledge there aren’t any access points/trails off of TN91 other than at Cross Mt Rd. The other access point before Watauga Dam would be Watauga Dam Rd. I suppose you could follow the power lines up, eventually they cross the AT on Iron Mt. For Trail Maintenance we follow a private road 1/3 of the way up the mountain, where there is a locked gate.

There are 2 forest service roads (I haven’t driven either of them) coming off of Holston Mt to TN91.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Thanks for the info Squid. I left the Holston Trail @ Stoney Gap, came down across Chestnut Fats and followed an old trail bed down to 91. From there I had to go north on 91 to what I think was Muddy Branch road. Walked it east to Nidifer Branch Road and took it to where it ended. Went up that watershed and intersected the AT about a mile and a half north of Vandeventer Shelter. It was a good walk but the folks on Nidifer were pretty unhappy to see me there. Don't know if it was a Copper Head Ridge type thing or if they just didn't like hikers. Anyway thought there might be an easier access with less cultural interface. Thanks again for the advice and I'll look you up the next time I walk through your back yard.

TaTonka

Tennessee Viking
11-13-2008, 00:27
This is really just laughable. I would watch out walking around the 91. Google Earth had a function that listed a number of BigFoot sightings up and down TN91.

No Belay
11-13-2008, 12:03
Yea, I ate lunch with him (her) up on Chestnut Flats. A lot more socialable then most of the Wookies I've met on the trail.

No Belay
11-13-2008, 19:42
Buliwyf, Thanks for the e-mail, Gave me several other options to consider. I also sent you a jpeg of the Big Foot eating whorled peas with me. He didn't care for gorp.

Savor happy!

TaTonka