PDA

View Full Version : AT Fire Alert GA - Ramrock Mtn / Black Mtn / Woody Gap

FatMan
11-11-2008, 13:12
There is currently an uncontrolled fire moving towards the AT up Ramrock and Black Mountains. It looked to me from Woody Gap that the fire is within .5 miles of the trail. The trail is currently covered in heavy smoke and the fire fighters are using the trail to access the fire. Helicopters have been dispatched and are using Woody Lake for water supply. The Ranger said that the fire fighters were attempting to create a fire block just south of the AT. He said if that did not work I needed to be prepared to evacuate, but he did not feel that my house was in immediate danger but suggested I begin clearing any brush and hosing down my property; they took my contact info to keep me updated. Hikers will not be allowed to enter the section between Woody Gap and Gooch Gap until the fire is out.

At this time they do not know what caused the fire.

bigmac_in
11-11-2008, 13:20
There is currently an uncontrolled fire moving towards the AT up Ramrock and Black Mountains. It looked to me from Woody Gap that the fire is within .5 miles of the trail. The trail is currently covered in heavy smoke and the fire fighters are using the trail to access the fire. Helicopters have been dispatched and are using Woody Lake for water supply. The Ranger said that the fire fighters were attempting to create a fire block just south of the AT. He said if that did not work I needed to be prepared to evacuate, but he did not feel that my house was in immediate danger but suggested I begin clearing any brush and hosing down my property; they took my contact info to keep me updated. Hikers will not be allowed to enter the section between Woody Gap and Gooch Gap until the fire is out.

At this time they do not know what caused the fire.

This is why Whiteblaze.net is still a great source of information about the AT. Thanks for posting FatMan.

daddytwosticks
11-11-2008, 15:52
Thanks for the information...good luck FatMan. Hope all ends up well.

berninbush
11-11-2008, 16:01
Having just survived a hurricane, I can appreciate how nerve-wracking it is to not know what's going to happen to your property, and how sad to see beautiful places damaged. Fire is a necessary part of the natural order but it's not the happy fun part of nature, for sure. I will pray things turn out well for you and everyone there.

Bulldawg
11-11-2008, 16:25
Let me know if you need any help up there FatMan. And keep us posted.

FatMan
11-11-2008, 18:07
Thanks for your replies. I was down at the Suches General Store about a half hour ago and the word is that the fire is still not contained. But signs are looking up (hopeful thinking?) as the wind has died down and the smoke is not quite as thick outside my house. But the smoke has really settled into Downtown Suches (Ha Ha). I have already been contacted by a representative of the fire department and have been assured they are ready to take action if necessary. The fire remains a fair distance away so no need to panic yet. I personally marked the location of my house on the Ranger's map earlier today so they definitely know where I am.

From the information I have I doubt the trail will be open anytime soon. If all goes well, maybe Thursday. That is my view of the situation, not anything the Forest Service said.

Edited to add at 5:48 PM: HURRAY RAIN! What a surprise, there was no rain in the forecast but all of the sudden the skies have opened up. Just checked the radar and the only rain on the radar is right over us. Hope it keeps up.

Spogatz
11-11-2008, 19:46
When I came through Dahlonega today I could see the smoke from the fire in the distance. Looked like a pretty large area affected.

ChinMusic
11-11-2008, 19:53
WOW, what a difference a couple days can make.....

I just crossed Woody Gap on Sunday.....tons and tons of bikers. I only stopped long enough to dump my trash and the other form of dump.

peanuts
11-11-2008, 20:26
oh wow, i was planning to be there this weekend, guess need to change plans...

keep us updated fatman. hope all works outs.

Bulldawg
11-11-2008, 22:03
Did you go up to Panther Creek last weekend Peanuts?

Oh and good news FatMan. My forecast on the bottom of my Mozilla Page (accuweather plug in) says rain for tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Remember, I am just 2 or 3 ridges over.

FatMan
11-11-2008, 22:15
oh wow, i was planning to be there this weekend, guess need to change plans...

keep us updated fatman. hope all works outs.No need to cancel your plans. This will be out by then. As Bulldawg says above we have lots of rain in the forecast. And the current forecast shows a 30% chance tonight. If it is not out by tomorrow I surely will need to get out and buy some marshmallows to roast over my house as it burns to the ground.:eek:

I just let the dog out to do his business and the smoke is very thick. The wind has died and the smoke is just hanging around. Yuck. I hope that is all I have to deal with tonight.

Bulldawg
11-11-2008, 22:16
I certainly hope you pull through OK FatMan, I know how hard you have worked on that place over there!

FatMan
11-11-2008, 22:25
I certainly hope you pull through OK FatMan, I know how hard you have worked on that place over there!Thanks Bulldawg. Cooper, my dog, is more upset than I am. He has taken note of the number of deer and other wildlife that has come down from the gap and he also did not eat his dinner tonight. He has not left my side all day. Animals have an amazing ability to sense potential danger.

HikerRanky
11-11-2008, 22:33
Here's praying that everything works out good for you all down there....

Randy

Blissful
11-11-2008, 23:35
Hope everything works out okay. Take care.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 09:50
How's it looking up on the Mountain this morning FatMan. I will be in Cleveland later this afternoon. Let me know if you need anything.

FatMan
11-12-2008, 10:17
Just got back from Woody Gap. Spoke with the ranger and although he did not want to use the words "100% contained" he was feeling very good about the outlook. They worked through the night and have made great progress. The trail will remain closed until further notice, but he was hopeful to get it open by tomorrow. At this point the trail is not in danger, but it is still being used as access by the fire fighters. He said he would call me as soon as they open it.

There is still a small main body of fire to be extinguished, but they are still very concerned about spotty flare-ups. This area is a tinder box and it does not take much to re-ignite. The ranger was very hopeful that the forecasted rain would arrive soon. He that rain will be a great help bringing this to an end.

Thanks for all the well wishers who posted. The fire is contained on the west so I am no longer in any danger. I must admit, I did not sleep very well last night.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 10:29
Well now that you are OK, I will say my say. Fire is a naturally occuring thing in nature most times. I know that sometimes fires are set by inconsiderate, stupid people, but many thousands of fires are set my lightening, etc. The forest from Springer all the way through Georgia is a tinderbox, ripe for a huge fire. Leaf piles off the trail are above ankle deep because of years of fire suppression, fuel load is huge. I support only saving historic areas and structures in fires. The NF behind my family property here in Georgia is control burned about every five years. The fire danger there is low because of the reduced fuel load on the forest floor. While I hate to sound like I support burning the forest down, if we continue to let fuel load build without prescribed controlled burns, that will eventually happen. I am glad this fire has been able to reduce fuel load in that area without damaging any personal property. OK, I am finished preaching.

ChinMusic
11-12-2008, 10:32
FatMan - We had a pretty good rain last Friday (I was at Hawk Mt). Did that rain slow things down a bit? I did notice how dry the trail seemed as early as Saturday....just soaked it up.

I'm wondering if things could have been much worse without that Friday rain.

FatMan
11-12-2008, 10:40
Well now that you are OK, I will say my say. Fire is a naturally occuring thing in nature most times. I know that sometimes fires are set by inconsiderate, stupid people, but many thousands of fires are set my lightening, etc. The forest from Springer all the way through Georgia is a tinderbox, ripe for a huge fire. Leaf piles off the trail are above ankle deep because of years of fire suppression, fuel load is huge. I support only saving historic areas and structures in fires. The NF behind my family property here in Georgia is control burned about every five years. The fire danger there is low because of the reduced fuel load on the forest floor. While I hate to sound like I support burning the forest down, if we continue to let fuel load build without prescribed controlled burns, that will eventually happen. I am glad this fire has been able to reduce fuel load in that area without damaging any personal property. OK, I am finished preaching.I do not disagree with you. I knew this was a real danger when I built my home. With the fuel load in this area it is amazing we don't see more large fires. However, with that said it is believed (in fact published in earlier reports) this fire was started by someone burning debris on private land down in the Yahoola Valley behind the R Ranch. Officials have backed off that claim and are not publicly saying so at this time because I suspect they will go after the person for reparations on some of the costs of fighting the fire.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 10:42
I do not disagree with you. I knew this was a real danger when I built my home. With the fuel load in this area it is amazing we don't see more large fires. However, with that said it is believed (in fact published in earlier reports) this fire was started by someone burning debris on private land down in the Yahoola Valley behind the R Ranch. Officials have backed off that claim and are not publicly saying so at this time because I suspect they will go after the person for reparations on some of the costs of fighting the fire.

Was it R Ranch property of other property close to the R Ranch. As you may or may not know the R Ranch has been in some financial difficulties for some time. I like the R Ranch, enjoy going to the rodeo over there every year and would hate to see this be the lynch pin that pushes them over the edge.

FatMan
11-12-2008, 10:50
Was it R Ranch property of other property close to the R Ranch. As you may or may not know the R Ranch has been in some financial difficulties for some time. I like the R Ranch, enjoy going to the rodeo over there every year and would hate to see this be the lynch pin that pushes them over the edge.I do not know whose property it started on, but it was not National Forest as the fire on Monday was being handled by Lumpkin County. When I spoke with Ranger yesterday at noon, he said he not called in until that morning which I assume was when the fire reached the National Forest boundry line.

And as for going after reparations, that is my thoughts. I have no facts to that matter.

Early Report (http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=215144)

Blissful
11-12-2008, 11:24
Good news to hear. Glad it's contained.

FatMan
11-12-2008, 17:28
Curiosity got the best of me so I walked the trail down to the west side of fire area. Based upon what I saw it does not look like the trail will be opened tomorrow. The winds were strong on the ridge and the fire remains quite large. I was only able to get halfway down to Jacks Gap and there was a fire burning only a few hundred yards from the trail. And no fire fighters were in the area that I could see. No choppers were flying that I could see. Most likely due to the wind.

According to the media report below, the Forest Service has used about 2000 feet of the trail as a control line which I read as a fire break. The article suggests the fire is only 65% contained.

Unfortunately the rain they are hoping for has not arrived yet.

As for me, the winds are no longer blowing my way. The fire has remained in Walnut Cove and as long as it does not make it over to Tunnel Cove I can rest easy.

Dahlonega Nugget Article (http://www.thedahloneganugget.com/articles/2008/11/12/news/01%20fire.txt)

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 17:55
Damn, still hoping for the best. I'd like to come check it out but work holds me in check.

peanuts
11-12-2008, 18:09
sending you positive thoughts, and i hope everything works out.

so i think i will stay out of the area this weekend.. since i did not make it

to panther creek last weekend, maybe this w/e i will go there instead...

say hello to cooper for me

adventurousmtnlvr
11-12-2008, 21:31
gee Fatman, be careful of smoke inhalation for you and for your dog ... but lol on the marshmellow comment .. at least your spirit is up and eyes/ears open

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 21:54
FatMan, how is it looking up there? I was in Cleveland at the Funeral Home tonight and saw quite a few Georgia Forestry trucks in town. The guys looked pretty beat down. Made me think of you up there.

Egads
11-12-2008, 21:55
Why hasn't this story made the Atlanta news? How many acres are estimated to be burned?

Lone Wolf
11-12-2008, 21:58
Why hasn't this story made the Atlanta news? How many acres are estimated to be burned?

just a little brush fire is all

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 22:00
It is not a huge fire, like 300 acres or so. They have used 2000' of the trail as fire break supposedly.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 22:02
Correction, 500 acres.

http://www.accessnorthgeorgia.com/detail.php?n=215166

FatMan
11-12-2008, 22:07
FatMan, how is it looking up there? I was in Cleveland at the Funeral Home tonight and saw quite a few Georgia Forestry trucks in town. The guys looked pretty beat down. Made me think of you up there.I am nearly smoke free outside. But the wind is blowing to the east now and I am to the west of the fire. Still no rain. I saw the guys this morning at a shift change and the group that was out all night looked like they were at war. I'll be checking with the Ranger up at Woody in the morning again.

Why hasn't this story made the Atlanta news? How many acres are estimated to be burned?My guess is it is up to 600+ acres by now.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 22:13
My guess is it is up to 600+ acres by now.

Yeah, the 500 acre estimate was made around noon.

pyroman53
11-12-2008, 22:16
As my name implies, I work on fires all summer (just a camp slug but...) and actually work in federal wildland fire training. Here's a reference that explains some things you can do to make your home "firewise" for the future: http://www.firewise.org/resources/files/wildfr2.pdf

While things sound fairly optimistic, some things you can actually do tomorrow morning to give your house a better chance of surviving...such as moving your woodpile, closing your curtains, blowing/raking a few leaves, wetting down your yard, closing your garage door, clearing around the propane tank, and if there are leaves on your roof, getting them off or at least wetting them down. Most houses catch fire after the main fire moves by as the woodpile, fence, and other flammables burn slowly and catch the house on fire. If spotting is an issue, the roof leaves should be your first priority.

I'll be rooting for you!! Good luck and be safe.

FatMan
11-12-2008, 22:37
pyroman53, thanks for the article. I am safe at this time. My house is about a mile from the fire and I am on the opposite side of the ridge. At this point I have been told that I am out of the woods (no pun intended).

I did just step outside and the winds have really picked up. Just checked the radar and the reason for the wind is the rain is on its way. Should be raining in the next 15 minutes. I know rain is what the fire fighters have been counting on all day.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 22:40
I need that rain to hurry on up myself....and blow outta here. I am going hiking this weekend and I hate hiking and camping in the rain!!

Two Speed
11-12-2008, 23:10
Whiner.

Bulldawg
11-13-2008, 10:04
FATMAN, we got the rain in here last night......any word yet?

FatMan
11-13-2008, 11:06
I started a new thread so the annoucement will be more visible.

I need that rain to hurry on up myself....and blow outta here. I am going hiking this weekend and I hate hiking and camping in the rain!!

FATMAN, we got the rain in here last night......any word yet?The rain performed its magic and the trail is open. I also spoke to the man (or women, need to be pc) upstairs and have taken care of the weather for your weekend hike. I certainly don't want you to get wet.

Bulldawg
11-17-2008, 20:21
sending you positive thoughts, and i hope everything works out.

so i think i will stay out of the area this weekend.. since i did not make it

to panther creek last weekend, maybe this w/e i will go there instead...

say hello to cooper for me

Did you make it out to Panther Creek this past weekend Peanuts? Just wondering how that trail was doing. Later!

peanuts
11-17-2008, 21:10
Did you make it out to Panther Creek this past weekend Peanuts? Just wondering how that trail was doing. Later!

nope, i ended up in bogs recreation area and desoto falls, and finished at neel gap at the hostel saturday night returned sunday afternoon

Nearly Normal
11-18-2008, 05:14
Planned controlled burns prevent wildfire and wildfire damage, it also benefits wildlife.

Marta
11-18-2008, 07:06
Planned controlled burns prevent wildfire and wildfire damage, it also benefits wildlife.

Except when they get out of control, like the one south of Erwin last spring.:rolleyes: