PDA

View Full Version : How far North can I go in March

mts4602
11-11-2008, 22:18
I have a week in the middle of March and I'd like to go somewhere north to hike, but I don't know how far I could go before there was too much snow and crazy winter conditions.

I know the New England states are still filled with snow that time of year, but is it still as dangerous as say january or february? My only winter camping is down here in the south but if it was something that I could handle then I'd like to go as far north as possible.

Not solo of course.

Thanks,

Matt

sasquatch2014
11-12-2008, 10:45
That time of year in my area NY/CT border can change but expect in mid march cold and damp conditions slopes that don't get much sun will still hold snow but a good deal of the rest of the snow pack should, I stress should, be gone for the most part. My area is hikeable with little problems by this time of year.

Blissful
11-12-2008, 11:18
Expect winter conditions up North until May (though it can vary greaty). I've seen a blizzard in NY at Easter.

Plus the trail will be a muddy, puddly mess.

CowHead
11-12-2008, 13:06
Maryland is cold and rainy also maybe you should hike Cheaha Mountain it's Alabama's longest trail 20.6-mile out-and-back near the southern anchor of the Appalachian Mountains.

Kirby
11-12-2008, 16:07
Maine will have plenty of snow.

Kirby

Red Hat
11-12-2008, 16:18
To directly answer your question, about the furthest north I'd try in March is North Carolina. Virginia, maybe, but the Grayson Highlands would be iffy...

Wags
11-13-2008, 01:30
march can be bitter in pa. 20's and snowing 1 week, then the next week in the high 60's... it'd make for a good adventure if that's what you're looking for

Pokey2006
11-13-2008, 02:46
If you want to hike in New England in March, be sure to bring your snowshoes. You may also need other winter equipment, like crampons, depending on where you go and what the conditions end up being this winter.

Personally, I'd avoid anything north of Virginia, unless you're really into winter hiking. And definitely stay out of New England, unless you're really, REALLY into winter hiking.

JAK
11-13-2008, 03:21
I think it depends on how deep in the woods you want to go. March can be alot of snow, and also alot of water on, in, and under the snow. I understand it to be the worst month in Maine and New Brunswick, but I haven't gone deep in the woods in March to find out what its really like. I've done long trips in January and the 1st of May, but only day trips and single overnights in between. It also depends alot on how much snow the foods get this winter, and what weather you get that week and the week before. March is a real month of change. In like a Lion, out like a Lamb, but in the woods I would imagine that Lamb is really messy.

You can always check climate data on a place like this. I am sure Maine has something similar...
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_e.html?Province=NB%20%20&StationName=&SearchType=&LocateBy=Province&Proximity=25&ProximityFrom=City&StationNumber=&IDType=MSC&CityName=&ParkName=&LatitudeDegrees=&LatitudeMinutes=&LongitudeDegrees=&LongitudeMinutes=&NormalsClass=A&SelNormals=&StnId=6194&

That doesn't tell the full story of course. I wouldn't be afraid to go though if you want to see what March can be like and are disciplined enough to just poke your nose in a little ways, or pick a route very close to civilization. Here is something else that can be interesting to look at, which is actual historical weather data to get an idea how weather can changes from one hour to the next in the Month of March.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=XX&StationID=6157&Year=2008&Month=3&Day=1

I've heard you can get temporary lakes under the snow in some places, but I've never experienced anything like that first hand. I am speaking mostly about woods and swampy or places. Travel on lakes can start to get dangerous in late March also, and some rivers and river like lakes can always be dangerous. I have no experience with higher elevations. That's a different kettle of fish also.

To answer you question most directly, March is the most dangerous month in Maine and New Brunswick.
Some Mainers might correct me on that, but that is my understanding.

Pokey2006
11-13-2008, 03:31
Just remember that it's not just about what the weather is like the week you're hiking, but what the weather had been like all winter.

Some years, the snowfall in New England is higher in March than in January or February. The worst blizzards I've seen have been in March. It's a cold, wet, miserable month.

But even if the weather is great, you'll still have to contend with the snow that fell in December, January and February. That stuff doesn't melt until May or June.

Bottom line: Stay in the south.

mts4602
11-13-2008, 09:56
Thanks for the help. Hiking up north is definitly something I want to do, and someday in the winter would be fun, but I think I'm going to do something else this time haha.

I think I'm going to go down to Springer and hike for a week with the Northbounders. I could finish Georga and then say I've completed 1 whole state! A whole 76 miles, but still...

bloodmountainman
11-13-2008, 10:30
Thanks for the help. Hiking up north is definitly something I want to do, and someday in the winter would be fun, but I think I'm going to do something else this time haha.

I think I'm going to go down to Springer and hike for a week with the Northbounders. I could finish Georga and then say I've completed 1 whole state! A whole 76 miles, but still...Good choice! Ga. may have only 76 miles, but at that time of year, it is a challenge. :D

Red Hat
11-13-2008, 14:44
Good choice! Ga. may have only 76 miles, but at that time of year, it is a challenge. :D In 2004, I planned to do that hike over my spring break. 76 miles in one week, should be easy, I thought. After four days and forty miles, I ended up heading to Helen for a rest. Then over to Hiawassee just to see the town and meet people I'd heard about (Blueberry Patch). I stayed at the Hiawassee Inn as their first customer, since they weren't even open yet. Had a super time, even if I didn't finish Georgia! Hope your hike is as nice as mine.