PDA

View Full Version : Would u buy this magazine???

Blister
11-12-2008, 00:08
Becoming unemployed in the ungracious world of hospitality in the last couple of days has gotten my mind steaming with ideas. I still have to return to that world, however I have some experience in the full fledge production of the magazine media and would like to throw out an idea to you all.

What do you think of this idea (I have already protected my idea by sending it in through the US Mail stamped to myself - the poor mans copywrite protection)?

Magazine Proposal/Web Page

Title: Long Distance

Content: Stories of real life travelers from a variety of modes of transportation:

Hiking (of course my personal favorite)
bicycling
motorcycling
kayaking/canoeing
horesback/llama
truckers?
alternative flying - baloons, single engine?
Train?

Composition: the magazine would be set up more to the tune of a Reader's Digest. What I mean by that is a good read. Something that would make you stay in your bathroom for a good hour or two, lol, just kidding, not really. Advertisments which are needed would not inturupt the stories, they would be isolated on the sides of the pages only and then in one advertising section, kinda like the yellow pages.

There will also be tips/suggestions given by the long distance travelers themselves. I'd like also to incorporate guidelines to go along with featured articles from whatever official autorities are encoutered, ie; National Parks, State Police, blah, blah blah on whatever the feature article.

Would you buy this magazine and/or like to help start it??????

leprechaun
11-12-2008, 00:38
I like the idea! if I saw it in Barnes and Noble / Books a million would totally pick it up.

Blissful
11-12-2008, 00:46
Maybe also if it was in the realm of those Real Life drama stories or whatever that they once had in Readers Digest. People like to read that kind of thing. It's all drama these days. or reality show type thing.

You need to think of the audience and how many would actually sell, etc. PLus I have heard magazine subscriptions are on the decline.

drastic_quench
11-12-2008, 01:25
I have already protected my idea by sending it in through the US Mail stamped to myself - the poor mans copywrite protection)?
For the most part. You already hold rights to any creative work of your own. The idea here is that you have a sealed document dated by a official third party - the government. Just don't open it, or this evidence is void. I believe it would hold up reasonably well in a law suit, but it depends on how specific your information is. If someone stole your idea as you've laid it out here, but changed the title, you likely wouldn't be able to do anything about that. It'd have to be a complete theft.

Best of luck on the 'zine. I'd suggest finding a local printer, get a deal on small (relatively) runs of a few thousand, and sell them for cost -at first- to the communities you're trying to penetrate. That's the old model. OR go 100% web content, free subscription, low cost on your end, build a mailing list, and perhaps launch into print in the future -- but that's a damn tough business to break into with just a sliver of hope of the most razor thin of profit margins.

Zzzzdyd
11-12-2008, 02:00
and I will be glad to contribute a 9,500 mile motorcycle trip I did in 2001 to Alaska and back SOLO !!

Let me know when you ready to accept articles and the specifics regarding my pics, getting paid, etc...

Best of luck.

I am currently working on a Coffee Table book myself.

Blister
11-12-2008, 02:57
Cortez: I realize all that you have mentioned. That is why I started with the poor mans copywrite which I can gaurentee is more specific than what I have mentioned here. I may be a poor girl , but a very smaert girl. In addition have the experience of putting together many monthly magazines and have the contacts to do so. So what is your honest opinion?

Blissful: All the stories would be reality - long distance that is. Real stories from real travalers. I am sure if this thing ever takes off, there will awesome acoounts
of travels.

zzzzdyd: send me a story, I have hiked all 3 major trails and have lots of stories.
What I need is what I have already mentioned. A good long distance travel "story". pm me.

TJ aka Teej
11-12-2008, 08:51
There will also be tips/suggestions given by the long distance travelers themselves. I'd like also to incorporate guidelines to go along with featured articles from whatever official autorities are encoutered, ie; National Parks, State Police, blah, blah blah on whatever the feature article.
Very interesting, Blister! Sign me up if this section has a 'do-this-trip' followup w/ maps etc.

Teej < guilty of doing magazine inspired travels before

Phreak
11-12-2008, 09:08
Sounds interesting.

Vince
11-12-2008, 09:10
Intriguing idea. What I usually ask myself is, "Why would I buy this instead of that?", or in this case, what about Long Distance would make me sail right past Conde Nast Traveler to pick it up?

As someone mentioned, hard copy subscriptions are on the decline. To counter this, perhaps you could include a mini-CD or DVD of extra goodies with each issue. Also create some practical synergies between the publication and the website.

You mentioned Reader's Digest and that's an outstanding example. Outside of the actual content, what made that so great for me was the shape. Yes, the shape... it was "grab 'n go", you could easily stow it away in a pocket, purse, etc. A similarly unique tactile approach would work well in theme and usage for Long Distance, IMO.

You've probably already considered this stuff, but thanks for letting me add my 2 cents. Good luck!! :)

Lone Wolf
11-12-2008, 10:02
Becoming unemployed in the ungracious world of hospitality in the last couple of days has gotten my mind steaming with ideas. I still have to return to that world, however I have some experience in the full fledge production of the magazine media and would like to throw out an idea to you all.

What do you think of this idea (I have already protected my idea by sending it in through the US Mail stamped to myself - the poor mans copywrite protection)?

Magazine Proposal/Web Page

Title: Long Distance

Content: Stories of real life travelers from a variety of modes of transportation:

Hiking (of course my personal favorite)
bicycling
motorcycling
kayaking/canoeing
horesback/llama
truckers?
alternative flying - baloons, single engine?
Train?

Composition: the magazine would be set up more to the tune of a Reader's Digest. What I mean by that is a good read. Something that would make you stay in your bathroom for a good hour or two, lol, just kidding, not really. Advertisments which are needed would not inturupt the stories, they would be isolated on the sides of the pages only and then in one advertising section, kinda like the yellow pages.

Would you buy this magazine and/or like to help start it??????

sounds like Trailjournals. most of the stories/journals on there are WAY boring

the goat
11-12-2008, 10:39
i like your idea blister. it would be far more entertaining than the drivel that occupies the magazine racks currently.

Hoop Time
11-12-2008, 16:21
Isolating advertising will be a non-starter with advertisers. They want prime sports where readers will see them. A seperate section for the ads would not bring much revenue, and ad revenue is the lifeblood of most publications. Few, if any, can come close to covering costs with subscription or single copy sale revenue.

Unless you have considerable resources to back a print start-up, your best bet would be to go the Web route. But even then, it will be a real challenge to generate enough revenue to survive if you don't have the financial backing to get you through at least a year or two while you build the audience it will take to attract advertisers.

Another concern will be quality content. As Lone Wolf pointed out above, while all travelers have interesting stories, most of them to not have the ability to tell those stories very well. Are you going to have professional writers seek out and write these stories? Or rely on those travelers to write their own tales?

If you choose to go with professional writers, that will mean another cost to consider. You might find some writers willing to write for clips. But that only works with young, unestablished writers and you will have to be constantly recruiting to replace them when they find someone willing to pay for their efforts.

I am not trying to discourage you. But you need to be realistic. If you intend this as a business venture, it will be a mighty tough row to hoe. Would have been even before the economy jumped the shark. Nowadays it will be even harder.

RITBlake
11-12-2008, 16:57
Unless you have considerable resources to back a print start-up, your best bet would be to go the Web route.

I work in magazine publishing. It's an expensive business and a very challenging startup idea. Why? Chicken and the egg. You don't have advertisers until you have readers. But you don't have readers without a publication. And you don't have a publication for very long without money from said advertisers.

But, it sounds like a cool idea. Done right it could be something I'd look forward to reading.

Lion King
11-12-2008, 17:28
but a very smaert girl.
Be.

LOL, you been hanging with Matty again?

As a writer, I can tell you the Poor Mans Copy write doesn't do anything really. Its ok to have as a back up, but the best bet is to register the idea, especially if its written out, with the WGA (Writers Guild) which will protect it as a legal document for 5 years initially.

I think this would work better as an online Mag.

This way you could alternate ad space, sale products directly through the site from those who do ads, even get in the market with tour companies who are searching out sites such as that for people who like to travel.

Its a viable idea and I can hook you up with some great web design people if you want.

You know where I can be found...well, most of the time.

Blister
11-12-2008, 18:28
You know where I can be found...well, most of the time.

Are you back in my neck of the woods again??

Blister
11-12-2008, 18:39
After eating a tasty dinner of beets and goat cheese, I got to scroll through your sugg's

I had two ideas, I understand what you are all saying. I think the best kicker of this idea is that it is not just boring stories from trail journals but stories from many modes of long distance travel. With that I understand there are ALOT of boring writers out there at the same time there are alot of talented ones too. I wouldnt publish someones pathetic journal entry that the day was rainy and I got mud on my shoes. The stories would be interesting rather funny, trecherous, scary or even romantic(dont know how that would work - just an example) but a good read.
I wonder if making up a mock example with stories and pic's as the example publication, that could get sent out to potential advertisers in order to start generating revenue at the same time to be sent out to potential retail distributers to peak thier interest of carrying the subscription.

Thoughts

Lion King
11-12-2008, 19:18
Are you back in my neck of the woods again??

I wish.

Im stranded in LA for now.

Hope to get to Colorado where I have a train ticket home Dec 5th to see Mom for a week or so, then I have to find a way to make money to get a place so I can edit this new project.

need to talk to P.R. about the HW for the winter if I can cover the bills.

Too bad my tent doesnt have an electrical outlet.

Hope to be n NH before too long though.

Gotta sing some Station karaoke and see my Whites.

Mountains, not white people....just to clearify, not that I have anything against white people.:D

gsingjane
11-12-2008, 20:48
There is a Reader's Digest size magazine called Marathon and Beyond that's sold at Barnes & Noble. They feature, mostly, coverage of long distance (really long distance) runs and races. They seem to get most of their ad revenue from race advertisements, and a little bit from gear manufacturers. Another magazine that covers similar terrain so to speak is Trail Runner - sold at EMS and other outdoor retailers. They do quite a lot of coverage of long distance trail running and also discuss adventure racing and tri's. Again, mostly they seem to feature ads from gear manufacturers.

I would find a magazine like the one you proposed extremely interesting, because rather than focusing on one area like running or swimming or hiking, you'd cover a bunch of them. I might be able to find out about things I don't know anything about, like most non-foot-propelled sports.

Please keep us posted!

Jane in Ct

aaroniguana
11-12-2008, 21:17
I think it's a fantastic idea! Funny though, the last person I knew who wanted to start a travel magazine was in the hospitality industry... must be the need to stay on the fringe.

weary
11-12-2008, 21:31
I put out newsletters for the Maine Chapter, AMC; MATC. and the Phippsburg Land Trust. They are printed on cheap newsprint, but I can produce 3,000 copies of 8 page, tabloid size for $400.

A very successful amateur farm magazine 30 years ago used a smaller format, but only slightly better paper. Unfortunately, it got so successful that the founder sold out to a "real" publisher. The magazine quickly died.

Weary

Deadeye
11-12-2008, 22:33
full fledge production
poor mans copywrite protection
inturupt
official autorities are encoutered

I would neither pay for nor invest in a publication with this many spelling and grammatical errors on the first page.

River Runner
11-12-2008, 22:50
Not to be discouraging, but I don't think I would personally be too interested in a magazine full of other people's travel stories - at least not interested enough to buy it.

I also think in today's economy it will be difficult to get companies to advertise in a new start up magazine when they are struggling to cut costs in response to sluggish consumer spending. And it may be difficult to get mainstream consumers to buy a new magazine at this time when consumer spending levels are low.

Maybe an e-zine that could be downloaded to a smartphone that travelers can read on the go (or hikers can read on the trail) would catch on. It would at least be different. Maybe you could offer a sample edition for free and sell subscriptions. I would personally be more interested in something I could easily read on the go without carrying anything extra.

flemdawg1
11-12-2008, 23:21
It doesn't sound like a type of magazine that would really interest me.

But I' m a weirdo that sleeps in shelters and subscribes to Backpacker too.

Pokey2006
11-13-2008, 03:04
It might be tough to start up a new magazine right now. Whenever there's a recession, or even the hint of a recession, advertising is the first thing cut from every company's budget. It's a killer for established magazines, never mind small start-ups.

However, it could work as an online venture. I wouldn't count on making any money off it...but, it is an intriguing idea. There are already several sites set up for travel bloggers, like www.travelblog.org (http://www.travelblog.org). But what you want to do sounds more like a book series I once came across, which contained reprints of travel stories, grouped together by theme (vacation romances, women finding empowerment, etc.).

There are good writers out there, but the professional ones WILL cost you money. Granted, not a lot of money, but professional writers DO NOT write for free.

Reader's Digest is all reprints -- stuff that's already been printed in other media, like newspapers and magazines. So you could start sifting through papers and mags to find material, then contact the publication, ask how much the reprint rights would cost, etc.

It would be a lot of work, but, hey, anything is possible.

Good luck!

garlic08
11-13-2008, 11:27
I would neither pay for nor invest in a publication with this many spelling and grammatical errors on the first page.

I was wondering when someone would figure out how to spell "copyright".

Blister
11-13-2008, 14:41
I should have realized that when asking for thoughts and opinions for an idea, there would be some annoying individual to criticize typos just to be insulting and demeaning. I didn't ask for an opinion on my stream of consciousness in writing to a general thread in a non-literary forum. I have had around 15 articles published in local media, they are spell checked prior to submission and then there is what you call an "Editor" to catch the rest. In order to satisfy those who need correction:

complete production
poor mans copy write protection
interrupt
official authorities are encountered

I still like the concept and appreciated the honest opinions pertaining to the original idea and would welcome continued advice, rather it be negative or positive. To the forever-demeaning personalities here on White Blaze, I so apologize, perhaps you can volunteer to be the professional editors for every thread posted on this web site. Perhaps those insulting have never incorrectly had a typographical error in their life, good for them! Give me a break.

Deadeye
11-13-2008, 20:33
I don't think I was being particularly nasty or overly critical to point out spelling errors in an invitation to invest in a publication. I stand by my opinion that it would not be a prudent investment.

As long as I'm here, it's poor man's copyright.

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2008, 20:35
I've read stuff Blister has written.

If she was associated with any outdoors magazine, I'd read it.

Blister
11-14-2008, 13:30
I don't think I was being particularly nasty or overly critical to point out spelling errors in an invitation to invest in a publication. I stand by my opinion that it would not be a prudent investment.

As long as I'm here, it's poor man's copyright.

At no point have I requested financial investments. The request of having anyone help me start this project, would be people to submit stories or share expertise such as; software, advertising or photography. These are areas of which I have very little experience. As long as you are here, continuing to be overly critical, perhaps you can actually post an honest opinion why you so dislike a publication concentrating on various forms of long distance travel? The actual question requested at the start of this thread.

I have an idea; perhaps Fox News has a position for you at their network "Internet Thread Analyst". How many typographical errors can you find in this post?

Sly
11-14-2008, 19:01
I don't think a paper mag of this type would sell enough. Perhaps a ezine would make better sense

Mags
11-14-2008, 20:04
I don't think a paper mag of this type would sell enough. Perhaps a ezine would make better sense

Backpacking Light used to have a hard copy of their magazine until recently, but went to an all electronic format due to costs
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/print_magazine_ends_backpacking_light.html

I am not sure an ezine would work for Blister's idea as there is much competition for free. (Even if her published works would be of higher caliber writing).

I do not claim to know the publishing business, however. So who knows?

Hoop Time
11-16-2008, 18:54
It all comes down to this: Do you need to make money on this, or is it something you'd like to do that you can afford to foot the bill for. There are plenty of options for doing this, it is just a question of how much are you willing to spend. If you need this to be a profit-making venture, your options are far more limited, especially in this economy.