PDA

View Full Version : (Fact Check)How far did Bryson get?

Filadelfia Greenberg
11-12-2008, 13:15
Hey guys, I'm currently writing a play about the AT, based on my experiences as a 2000-Miler. I've gotten to the almost obligatory scene where my characters are talking **** about Bill Bryson and "A Walk in the Woods". What I'm trying to remember (as I no longer have a copy of the book) is precisely how far did he get? I know he made it from Springer to the Smokies, but I'm trying to remember if he got off in Fontana Dam and went to Gatlinburg, or if he made it to Newfound or Davenport Gap before his infamous yellow-blazed to Roanoke. Anyway, If someone Knows I'd appreciate the info, as I'd like to have my facts straight.

A-Train
11-12-2008, 13:18
He says he hiked from Springer to NewFound Gap and hitched down to Gatlinburg then rented the car to Virginia. He talks about hiking the first half of the Smokies and paints a pretty bleak picture of the old Birch Spring Shelter.

jeepguru
11-12-2008, 13:25
Would have to go back and look at the book, but between the first section, hitchin up to va, and the section up north he went back and did it was like 750 miles or so.

Marta
11-12-2008, 13:35
The number that sticks in my head is about 800 miles. I think he gives the number on the last page or two of the book, right before he says "I walked the Appalachian Trail," or some such thing.

papa john
11-12-2008, 13:47
From pg 273. "I had done 870 miles, considerably less than half the AT".

Filadelfia Greenberg
11-12-2008, 13:49
Thanks guys :)

valleyfire
11-12-2008, 14:47
I think Katz only made it about 20 miles lol

rafe
11-12-2008, 16:53
A-Train sums it up pretty well. The "continuous" hike ended at Newfound Gap. From there, Bryson and Katz skipped north to somewhere near Roanoke, and hiked to the north end of Shenandoah National Park. Bryson did chunks of PA and New England via day-hikes. Bryson and Katz hiked together again from Caratunk to... a couple days north of Monson, and then called it quits at some logging road, which is pretty much where the book ends.

FWIW, Bryson's description of Birch Springs Shelter was dead-on.