PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Quick Fixes

whiteblazed
11-12-2008, 15:54
Let’s hear some of your best quick fixes or improvised products.

Saw this thread on Reddit on improvised stoves and got me thinking about how amusing the topic is;

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/7c3rj/pyro_petes_improvised_camp_stoves/

No Belay
11-12-2008, 18:11
Ain't nothing you can't fix with Duct tape... except for being out of Duct tape.

Homer&Marje
11-12-2008, 18:20
"You can rebuild the world with 100' of nylon rope and a roll of duct tape" - My grandfather

kayak karl
11-12-2008, 18:45
"You can rebuild the world with 100' of nylon rope and a roll of duct tape" - My grandfather
and a hanger (old wire kind) who did'nt hold their muffler on with one of them:D

Phreak
11-12-2008, 18:48
On my JMT trip, one of the bolts/screws for my shoulder straps loosened and was lost. Fortunately, Martin had some cable ties with him and we were able to rig the shoulder strap and it held for the remainder of the trip.

I dropped and cracked my filter early on in the trip. Did a quick patch job with duct tape, strapping tape and electrical tape. It held for a couple of weeks and finally died on our last day of the trip.

Mags
11-12-2008, 19:09
If it is moving, and it shouldn't be, use duct tape.
If it is stuck and it shouldn't, use WD-40.

:)

bigboots
11-12-2008, 19:11
If it is moving, and it shouldn't be, use duct tape.
If it is stuck and it shouldn't, use WD-40.

:)

Thats exactly what I was going to say! Everything else is unneeded weight.

Skidsteer
11-12-2008, 19:44
I forgot my spoon and carved one from a Coke bottle with a non-locking pocket knife once.

Damn near bled to death but it worked.

garlic08
11-12-2008, 20:40
I forgot my spoon once and picked up two twigs to use as chopsticks. I had new, clean utensils every meal.

Skidsteer
11-12-2008, 20:44
I forgot my spoon once and picked up two twigs to use as chopsticks. I had new, clean utensils every meal.

I used just one twig. As a splint to hold my finger straight.

Homer&Marje
11-12-2008, 20:57
The front left bumper of my car is sticking out due to a minor collision. Dont worry. I was fine.

It lost one of the screws to screw back into the hole so I replaced it with plastic zip ties. Apply 2 new ones each year before inspection time for good measure and your good to go.:D I'll get a photo if you need proof.

adventurousmtnlvr
11-12-2008, 20:58
you didn't say "just on the trail" ... so I'll put in a boyfriend's car broke down once in the middle of no where ... some fan belt ... and I took my panty hose off (we were on a date and this was YEARS ago, lol) and he actually used panty hose for the fan belt ... no joke ... and it WORKED!!!! LOL ... least until he got home to fix it properly.

Pedaling Fool
11-12-2008, 21:01
you didn't say "just on the trail" ... so I'll put in a boyfriend's car broke down once in the middle of no where ... some fan belt ... and I took my panty hose off (we were on a date and this was YEARS ago, lol) and he actually used panty hose for the fan belt ... no joke ... and it WORKED!!!! LOL ... least until he got home to fix it properly.
Damn! That's better than the old, "I've run outta gas" line.

adventurousmtnlvr
11-12-2008, 21:05
LOL John .... oh so typical the brain of a guy always thinking ... LOL

but I did watch him put it on while I held my pin light, lol .... wasn't "that" kind of interested in him anyway, lol .. nice try

superman
11-12-2008, 21:26
Damn! That's better than the old, "I've run outta gas" line.

LMAO, then he said he needed her bra to fix the muffler.:)

adventurousmtnlvr
11-13-2008, 14:42
like Kayak Karl said ... coat hangers work best on that and zip ties (love those things!). But if you are fascinated with that apparatus ... stuff it with new paper and use it as ear muffs. The homeless do that for real ... granted with their coats. Which is a good tip in a pinch .... when off the trial and in town and you can't afford a warmer coat .. find used newspaper, wad it up and now you have a fake down jacket that rattles ... but it makes good insulation. Why do I know this? I volunteer for the homeless on occasion and it works (so I'm told). What I use newspaper for is to dry out snow ski boots, and roller skates ... it really does remove moisture (just watch out for the ink!). Although when at home I do own a boot dryer. (that was serious as was this thread ... but if you want humor write evian on your forehead and look in a mirror) ... 'cuz I'm not one of those :)

Lyle
11-13-2008, 14:49
Tied my Kelty hip belt to the frame with nylon cord when the stitching gave out for the last 300 miles of a trip one time. Worked fine.

Old Hillwalker
11-13-2008, 17:37
Duct tape is a variant of the "Force" It has a Dark side and a Light side and holds everything together.
Luke Hillwalker 2000

superman
11-13-2008, 19:02
When my boots gave out near Troutdale, I bought a pair of Nike hiking sneakers (maybe 301). The first day I wore them I was about hobbled after 15 miles. The sides were rubbing the outside of my ankle raw. I even made camp half way up a hill because they hurt so bad and I was disgusted. I had no idea how I was going to hike the next day. In the middle of the night I woke out my imitation of a dead guy. I sat right up and knew what I had to do. I'd bought a pair of new cheap Charlie flip-flops. I took my knife with the 1.5-inch blade and cut the heels off the flip-flops. I tapered the edge and put them under the shoes cushion inserts. The next morning I hiked off with no problem because the lifts held my feet high enough to not rub on the side of the sneaker. The heels compressed in about 3 or 4 days but by then the sneakers were broken in and I didn't need the lifts. It was hard to hike for a long time after that since I was patting myself on my back as I hiked. :)

oops56
11-13-2008, 19:17
Gee a pine cone could have work also he. he.