PDA

View Full Version : New tent...

Yukon
11-12-2008, 16:55
So I'm picking up a new tent before next spring and am trying to do as much research into it as I can now so I'm well informed when I make my decision. It's a tent for my girlfriend and I, and I like to have the option to be able to keep all of our gear inside with us if need be. So it needs to be of decent size. I have pretty much narrowed my decision down already to two different tents, the MSR Mutha Hubba or my friend Quoddy has recommended that I check out a Tarptent Double Rainbow. I'm looking for opinions on these two tents from people so fire away, thanks in advance everyone! :)

ChinMusic
11-12-2008, 17:00
Give the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo a look: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

IMO, this is an excellent choice for a couple. I would get the "standard" (Heavier) floor, and even with that it weighs well under 3 pounds. I would seriously consider it for a solo-thru. It has lot of room (4 people can play cards in the thing) and TWO vestibules. It does require 2 trekking poles.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/images/LunarDuoOpen.jpg

Yukon
11-12-2008, 18:51
Thanks for the heads up on the Six Moons Lunar Duo Chinmusic, I'll put that one under consideration as well, I like the looks of that.

ChinMusic
11-12-2008, 19:12
Thanks for the heads up on the Six Moons Lunar Duo Chinmusic, I'll put that one under consideration as well, I like the looks of that.
I forgot to add that I would select the "standard floor" and forget about a ground cloth. The "standard floor" adds just 4 ounces to the tent. Even then it is well under 3 pounds.

It does require seam sealing. You can do it yourself or have the pros do it for and additional $30. I have the Lunar Solo and did the seam sealing myself. If I had it to do over again I would pay the extra.

garlic08
11-12-2008, 19:16
Last time I paid SMD to seam seal a tent, they missed a seam.

I've been very happy with all three of my Henry Shires Tarptents for the last 6 years.

ChinMusic
11-12-2008, 19:34
I like the look of the Double Rainbow as well. It must be nice to just pick it up and move it around if your site selection is a bit off.

I am considering a Rainbow for the times I need a free-standing tent. I recently tried to camp up in northern Manitoba and there was no way to get tent stakes in the shallow soil. That is not a concern on the AT.

Jorel
11-12-2008, 19:41
I own the Hubba and the Rainbow. The Hubba is heavier, but much more durable and drier, and warmer than the Rainbow. The Rainbow takes finesse in setting up correctly, something that can be frustrating on a cold, rainy night.

Tipi Walter
11-12-2008, 19:56
The Mutha Hubba is a near perfect backpackng tent although of course it won't work in high wind blown snow and probably not the best for zero temps or long winter trips.

Here's another consideration: The Mutha has 40 sq feet which is pretty small for two people for any length of time. I practically live in my tent and with 36 sq feet it's a bit confining after 2 or 3 days caught in a blizzard. I wouldn't want to share it with another person. I'd go and look in the 50 sq foot range, the Mt Hardwear Hammerhead 3, for instance, and a slew of other tents. If two people are humping a tent, weight is not really a consideration. One person has the poles and fly, the other has the body and the stakes, etc.

I lived with an old GF for a month on a summer backpacking trip to the Shenandoah and points everywhere else, and we used a VE-24 North Face(knock off-Windy Pass) and at around 50-60 sq feet it was near perfect. Heavy? Not too bad with 2 helping out.

Another point to consider: Going with two light but separate tents. This can save a relationship. Everybody needs their solitude and having separate tents can be very rewarding, allowing each person to sleep w/o snoring interruption, squirming, pads separating, wanting to read at 2am, etc etc.

Panzer1
11-12-2008, 20:51
I have the Black Diamond Light house. Big enough for 2 people.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/lighthouse.php

Panzerhttp://http://www.bdel.com/gear/lighthouse.php

Wags
11-12-2008, 23:53
whatever tent you buy, i'd suggest getting one with 2 doors (unless you have a big canopy style opening like the lunar duo). walking over someone to piss in the middle of the night is a crappy deal for both people

Yukon
11-13-2008, 13:48
whatever tent you buy, i'd suggest getting one with 2 doors (unless you have a big canopy style opening like the lunar duo). walking over someone to piss in the middle of the night is a crappy deal for both people

Yes, that's a option that the tent will have to have. I'm strongly leaning towards the MSR Mutha Hubba at this point...

TunnelvisionGAME09
11-13-2008, 13:55
I personally like the Hubba Hubba. I find that it has enough room for my husband and I, plus the height allows you to sit inside and play cards or what not without needing to hunch over. If you're set on having gear inside with you the Mutha would probably work well. I haven't had any problems with keeping gear in the vestibules in the Hubba Hubba, and it has been fine for short winter trips as long as you have a warm enough bag.

skinewmexico
11-13-2008, 13:58
I'd go look at the REI Quarterdome T3. Great for 2 and gear.

ChinMusic
11-13-2008, 15:06
I'm strongly leaning towards the MSR Mutha Hubba at this point...
Holy Cow. That thing weighs over six pounds......YIKES.

I'd car-camp with it.

mister krabs
11-13-2008, 15:12
Well, if you're goung double walled and looking to spend the money on a mutha hubba, then you probably wouldn't consider the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3. It's only a hundred bucks through scoutdirect.com. If you know anybody in any kind of scouting (you do) you can get it from there. It's 170 retail.

It matches up in features pretty well. Lighter than a mutha hubba by almost a pound, same square footage, still two doors, bigger vestibules on the full fly. It's 5 inches shorter in headroom though, 41 vs 46 so it's got less sit up room.

Compare specs for yourself, Mutha (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27371?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=27371) & Zephyr (http://alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringZephyr.htm)

Quality wise, I have a taurus family camping tent from them that is easily as well made as other tents that I've owned from Sierra Designs and REI. No interest in them, just a happy customer who had a good experience and wants to pass on a good value.

Blissful
11-13-2008, 15:42
One is a single wall the other double wall. Both have pros and cons. Weight with a mutha hubba is also a major issue.

If it were me, I'd get the hubba hubba (don't need the mutha hubba, plenty of room for two with the vestibules for your gear to stay dry. The other is heavy). Free standing, no condensation issues (I had frozen condensation in my squall a few weeks ago, and it was literally snowing on me inside. Weird stuff).

Yukon
11-13-2008, 15:53

I'd car-camp with it.

Yeah it's a little heavier but at my age and shape, weight really isn't an issue. For a couple extra pounds I'll deal with it if the tent is going to work best for our needs. I generally carry a 42-45 pound pack fully loaded with food and water and hike an average of 10-15 miles per day with no troubles, and getting this tent will actually decrease my pack weight because of the current tent I have. Plus I'm learning how to shave weight in other areas as well....

Yukon
11-13-2008, 15:55
Well, if you're goung double walled and looking to spend the money on a mutha hubba, then you probably wouldn't consider the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3. It's only a hundred bucks through scoutdirect.com. If you know anybody in any kind of scouting (you do) you can get it from there. It's 170 retail.

It matches up in features pretty well. Lighter than a mutha hubba by almost a pound, same square footage, still two doors, bigger vestibules on the full fly. It's 5 inches shorter in headroom though, 41 vs 46 so it's got less sit up room.

Compare specs for yourself, Mutha (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27371?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=27371) & Zephyr (http://alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringZephyr.htm)

Quality wise, I have a taurus family camping tent from them that is easily as well made as other tents that I've owned from Sierra Designs and REI. No interest in them, just a happy customer who had a good experience and wants to pass on a good value.

That Zephyr 3 isn't bad looking actually...

mountain squid
11-13-2008, 16:53
weight really isn't an issue.Just throwing this out there...

Weight should be an issue, especially if this is for a 'budgeted' long-distance hike. Just because you can carry X amount of pounds doesn't mean that you should or that you will want to on a long distance hike. Carefully 'weigh' all options before making a decision that you might regret at Neels Gap or within your first week of hiking (and if you are on a budget, that either means dipping into funds for another tent or carrying a heavy behemoth...).

Long distance hiking is just that - hiking. You hike all day, everyday. The amount of time spent in a tent may not justify its weight, not to mention the considerable bulk that a heavier tent has.

Anyway, Good Luck and keep researching...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mister krabs
11-13-2008, 17:20
That Zephyr 3 isn't bad looking actually...

For your criteria and the price, yeah. I needed a big family tent, and my taurus is built with the almost identical materials and quality as my buddy's Northface Trailhead. I paid 120, he paid 400. For the price, I took a chance on an unknown factor that met my criteria (two doors, 5 ppl, full fly, al poles) and was very happily surprised.

I wonder if the zephyr has vents though, the pictures don't show them, but neither did the ones for my taurus and it has them. No vents would be a dealbreaker for me.

Good luck, shopping for gear is fun.:D

Tipi Walter
11-13-2008, 19:07

I'd car-camp with it.

The beauty of two people carrying one tent is that it can be split up, so a six pound shelter goes to 3 pounds each when divided. Sounds reasonable. In fact, I'd go up to an eight pound tent(four each)and have more room, etc. My solo tent weighs 8 pounds and even when Little Mitten goes out with me she still has her own tent. Long distance hiking is possible with a heavy pack(just look at Eric Ryback's 1969 thruhike), and a heavy tent can be safely humped. Going 7-10 miles a day is still long distance hiking, just like going 15-20.

mountain squid
11-13-2008, 19:52
The beauty of two people carrying one tent is that it can be split up Yes, that is true. However, what happens if, for whatever reason, two people suddenly become one (IE someone has to get off the trail)? The one left either has to carry a heavy tent or buy another one - again, potentially ruining their budget. If you are only out for a week or two, you'd most likely carry the heavy tent...but if you are out for 3-6 months...

I don't know how the original poster is intending to use the tent - long-distance hiking, weekends, car camping, etc?!?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Yukon
11-14-2008, 09:21
Good luck, shopping for gear is fun.:D

Yes it can be fun most of the time, but sometimes it seems it can be downright aggravating! LOL :)

Yukon
11-14-2008, 09:28
Yes, that is true. However, what happens if, for whatever reason, two people suddenly become one (IE someone has to get off the trail)? The one left either has to carry a heavy tent or buy another one - again, potentially ruining their budget. If you are only out for a week or two, you'd most likely carry the heavy tent...but if you are out for 3-6 months...

I don't know how the original poster is intending to use the tent - long-distance hiking, weekends, car camping, etc?!?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

It will be used for everything EXCEPT a AT thru-hike. We will take it on our thru of the LT (as soon as we can get enough time to do it) but for now it will be used for anything from an over night up to being out on the trail for a couple weeks. I wanted to thru the LT this year but my outlook at work for this upcoming year is looking very busy so I don't think it will happen. Looking to be able to do at least half of the LT in one stretch this upcoming year. But who knows, we'll see what happens...maybe I'll win the lottery :rolleyes:

Big Dawg
11-14-2008, 10:24
Also check out the Marmot Aeros 3P,,, similar to the Mutha Hubba, but a little lighter. Love my Zonda 2P. I choose it most of the time over my TT Double Rainbow.

skinewmexico
11-14-2008, 11:13
8 Pounds? That is a yikes. My quarterdome T3 only weighs 4.7#, and it's my heavy tent. Long distance hiking is possible with a heavy pack, but why would you want to? Ignoring the advances in gear technology is like living in Georgia, and not using your air conditioner in the summer. Sure you can do it, but.......

Newb
11-14-2008, 12:12
Nothing will drive you to the ledge more quickly than shopping for a tent. It is madness and insanity. Good luck.

fiatspider2000
11-14-2008, 12:46
Just throwing this out, before I settled on a tent, check out out a hammock.
They are lightweight easy to setup and comfortable. Depending on when and where you are going to hike, they are a very good option. I used one in northern Maine last summer and never used a shelter. Check out hennessyhammock.com/ or JRB.
Popeye

Yukon
11-14-2008, 12:56
Nah the hammock thing wouldn't work for the two of us, my girlfriend likes to stay close to me and feels more secure in a tent. Perhaps someday when I'm out solo I would try it...

mudhead
11-14-2008, 13:28
Nah the hammock thing wouldn't work for the two of us, my girlfriend likes to stay close to me and feels more secure in a tent. Perhaps someday when I'm out solo I would try it...

This is a good thing.

One of my peeves with tents is the zipper. Smooth operation, etc.

bigcranky
11-14-2008, 13:31
We just purchased a Double Rainbow. Traded in a Tarptent Rainshadow once our daughter left for college.

The upside: two doors, two large covered vestibules big enough for packs, boots, etc. Easy setup -- put in four stakes, slide in the pole, and tighten it. Then stake out the vestibules. Unless it's raining, I then roll up the doors to get better views and ventilation, but leave the stakes out there in case I need to button up quickly. Good headroom -- two hikers can sit up inside. Excellent views and ventilation if it's not raining. (Though if it's not raining, do you really need a tent? Hmm.)

The downside: it's tight for two people. This is mostly due to the sloping side walls -- the arch pole provides plenty of apparent headroom, but as soon as you close the mesh doors, it gets cramped inside. (Note that we are transitioning from a 3-person Rainshadow, so our perspective may be a little warped. That thing had tons of space, but less headroom and only one door.)

Overall, though, I like it. The DR provides great protection against bad weather (though you do have to select a good tent site), has enough covered space for two people and all their gear, and weighs 2.5 pounds. Condensation hasn't been a problem with any Tarptent product we've used (yes, we get some condensation; no, it isn't a problem.) We tried a 2-person Squall before buying the Double Rainbow, and the DR is a much more livable shelter. I'm planning on using it as a solo shelter when I go winter hiking, too.

Good luck in your search for the perfect tent.

LIhikers
11-14-2008, 14:57
You might want to consider Tarptent's Rainshadow II.
My wife and I have one and there's plenty of room for us and our gear. We bought it because we used to hike with our dog, a large shephard, and there was plenty of room for us and the dog too. We've never gotten wet in the rain but have experienced a little condensation on a few occassions. Not enough to cause any kind of problem though.

rpenczek
11-14-2008, 16:19
This past spring I changed from a Mountian Hardwear Haven 3 to a Tarpent Rainbow 2. I am a big guy (300lb) and generally one of my kids BPs with me. The MH tent has tons of space, will stand a hurricane (water and wind) but is too heavy (I carry the tent - kids pack mule).

My Double Rainbow holds the two of us very well. I use the optional liner, which sends any condensation to the ends of the tent. I do get condensation sometimes, but only when it is raining a ton and I can not set up the tent for maximum ventilation. (condensation is not an issue)

Two of us fit fine, gear for the shorter of us (my kid) can go in the tent, but the rest would have to be in the vestibule. Of course, I generally just leave packs outside under their packcover.

Finally, my Rainbow is a roomy palace when I am in it by myself.

If my budget said all I could own is one tent, the only ones I would even consider are the tents in the TarpTent family or the Lunar Duo.

I still use my MH tent, but only for car camping when I know it is going to poor rain all weekend, otherwise, I am always in my TarpTent. My Scouts camp every month, so I am in my TarpTent quite a bit.

If you are set on a double wall, Big Agnes SL3 is lighter than the MSR you are considering at about the same price.

goduke
11-14-2008, 16:26
Hubba or Hubba-Hubba are good light weight tents. The Hubba is a one
person tent, and the Hubba-Hubba is for a couple of really close friends.

Duke

Wags
11-14-2008, 16:37
the hubba is freaking tiny and is almost a bivy with a high middle. just saying

Yukon
11-14-2008, 23:09
Another tent has caught my attention, the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3...anyone got any input on it?

Secret Squirrel
11-15-2008, 05:03
I hike with my wife and daughter some and I recently purchased the Black Diamond Vista 3. I really like it. It is easy to set up, has color coded snaps to attach the rainfly and is very roomy. All 3 of us along with our packs easily fit inside. It is free standing and I have never used the stakes. It has proven to be waterproof so far. It has a large vestibule. It has 50 sq ft. of floor space. On the downside, it does weigh a little over 6 pounds.

I had gotten the Big Agnes Elkhorn 3 but returned it. I felt it was too small for 3 people at 37 sg ft. It is pretty cozy with just 2 people inside.

I agree with the others that you should try to get a little larger tent (even if it means more weight)

Yukon
11-17-2008, 09:36
So no one has any experience with the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3???

mister krabs
11-17-2008, 10:47
So no one has any experience with the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3???

No experience with any BA tent other than looking at them set up in REI, sorry. CS3 Looks really great, fits your criteria, great space to weight ratio at .6sqft/oz, and most of it looks to be really usable because of BA's frame design. but $500? :eek: It best pitch itself and pack to the size of a cucumber up for that! :D Seedhouse SL3 is cheaper, at $420, but same .5sqft/oz as the zephyr 3 (I swear I don't own stock :p ) Of course, there's more to choosing a tent than space to weight ratio and price. Are you anywhere near where you can see some of your choices set up?

Yukon
11-25-2008, 11:16
So I'm ordering the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 today, just waiting for a return e-mail from EMS as to why they don't have the footprint listed. I was gonna use Tyvek like my last tent but what the heck, I'll try the footprint made just for the tent. Thanks for all the input everyone :)

skinewmexico
11-25-2008, 12:02
So what does that footprint weigh compared to tyvek?