PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a Alternative Hike - Any thoughts

lvitall
11-12-2008, 17:15
Head-start: May

Harpers Ferry, W.Va., north to Katahdin; Harpers Ferry, W.Va., south to Springer Mountain.
Sample itinerary: Start in Harpers Ferry first half of May, reach Katahdin second half of August; return to Harpers Ferry after Labor Day; finish at Springer Mountain the second half of November.

Start in easiest part of the Trail that very gradually gets more difficult.
When you start do not expect to keep pace right away with thru-hikers who started in Georgia.
Start in mild, pleasant weather.
Start amidst spring wildflowers and walk north with spring.
Hike through the mid-Atlantic before it gets hot, humid and water sources become scarce.
If you start earlier than May, plan to reach Vermont after mud season ends (about June 1).
Reach the White Mountains in July, before the peak crowds.
Reach Maine in August, when black flies are gone (but expect crowds the last hundred miles of Maine).
Plenty of time to reach Katahdin before it closes.
Walk south with fall colors on the second half of your hike.
Companionship with early northbounders the first half, then finish the Trail with early southbounders.
Be prepared for hunting season in the South.
Be prepared for cold weather and the possibility of snow in November.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2008, 17:54
sounds great. do it.

papa john
11-12-2008, 17:58
When I was at Standing Bear Farm a couple of weeks ago, there were two female hikers who did just this same hike (flip-flop). They had a bit of a time getting out of Maine and back to Harper's Ferry.

DapperD
11-12-2008, 23:52
Sounds like an excellent idea, one I have entertained myself as I would only need to be dropped off at the trail and not have to get transportation down to Springer. However if you do this style of hike there is one more "be prepared" to add to your short list, and that's be prepared to have your hike looked down upon by certain individuals for not being considered a "real" thru-hike, since you will not be hiking terminus to terminus. If you can handle the ribbing from other's, then it sounds to me like a great idea.

Bare Bear
11-17-2008, 17:44
Sounds good. Who cares what anyone else thinks, it is your hike. I am torn between doing another thru NOBO starting mid March at Springer or starting at HF mid April NOBO myself.

Slo-go'en
11-17-2008, 18:32
The way I've been thinking about doing it is a three way flip flop. Start at Springer in mid April, go north until its too blasted hot, which would be mid June in SW VA. Take a week or two off (wait until July 1st) and then bump up to the MA/VT line and hike north to Kahtahan. Then go back to the MA/VT line and hike south to SW VA where ever the first bump was, likely Marion, as there is a bus stop there.

This way you aviod the nasty spring storms down south, but is still reasonably cool. Going up to NE in July avoids the peak of the black fly season and the summers up here are a lot cooler than in the mid-atlantic states, though it can get a bit hot and muggy for a few days to a week at times. Finally, you finish by doing the mid section in the fall. After completing Maine, the mid section will be a breeze.

The only down side to this plan is you end the hike in a less then inspiring place and water might be a little hard to find in the mid section during the fall.

DapperD
11-17-2008, 19:04
The way I've been thinking about doing it is a three way flip flop. Start at Springer in mid April, go north until its too blasted hot, which would be mid June in SW VA. Take a week or two off (wait until July 1st) and then bump up to the MA/VT line and hike north to Kahtahan. Then go back to the MA/VT line and hike south to SW VA where ever the first bump was, likely Marion, as there is a bus stop there.

This way you aviod the nasty spring storms down south, but is still reasonably cool. Going up to NE in July avoids the peak of the black fly season and the summers up here are a lot cooler than in the mid-atlantic states, though it can get a bit hot and muggy for a few days to a week at times. Finally, you finish by doing the mid section in the fall. After completing Maine, the mid section will be a breeze.

The only down side to this plan is you end the hike in a less then inspiring place and water might be a little hard to find in the mid section during the fall.Also you have to factor in a little more cost/planning. To be shuttled around more in order to be able to fulfill this type of a hike will up the cost somewhat, and you need to make arrangments somehow to be picked up and delivered from these points of departure/arrival.

Roots
11-17-2008, 19:07
That is the exact flip flop I have thought about doing before right down to the start date. Go for it!

Slo-go'en
11-17-2008, 23:03
Also you have to factor in a little more cost/planning. To be shuttled around more in order to be able to fulfill this type of a hike will up the cost somewhat, and you need to make arrangments somehow to be picked up and delivered from these points of departure/arrival.

Thats why I say Marion, VA and the MA/VT boarder, both points are accessable by bus. The end terminuses are a little harder, but have to be dealt with in any event. But yah, it does invole a bit of running around. Then again, I'd do most anything not to hike through PA, NJ, NY and CT in the middle of the summer again!