PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel : Iditarod

Homer&Marje
11-12-2008, 17:36
Anyone else catch the first few episodes of the "Toughest Race on Earth, Iditarod" special? Really good I think, on the 4th episode of what looks like an 8 episode season. That race has, is, and always will be seriously difficult. My hat's off to anyone who can do it.

I'll try, anyone got 16 well behaved dogs I can borrow?:D

g8trh8tr
11-12-2008, 17:41
Yes I watch it and really enjoy it. Not something I am interested in trying but awesome to watch.

Bulldawg
11-12-2008, 17:56
Did you see them delivering all that Heet at the check points. I am assuming they cook with it?

Homer&Marje
11-12-2008, 18:19
Yea they have giant alky stoves...think 2 gallon cat foot can stove.

humunuku
11-12-2008, 18:20
what channel?

bigboots
11-12-2008, 18:27
I enjoy the show, I actually just watched all the episodes thus far this past weekend...got to love DVRs! Great show thus far and looks very difficult. I wouldn't mind hiking there during the summers, but no desire to run the Iditarod.

mudcap
11-12-2008, 18:32
I have been watching it,I think it is a great show. I did notice all the HEET,was wondering what that was about. Those are some tough folks/dogs,my hat is off to them. They are tougher than I am.

Phreak
11-12-2008, 18:42
what channel?
Discovery Channel

Skidsteer
11-12-2008, 18:49
Did you see them delivering all that Heet at the check points. I am assuming they cook with it?

Yea they have giant alky stoves...think 2 gallon cat foot can stove.

Someone really should tell them that alcohol doesn't perform well in cold weather.

Homer&Marje
11-13-2008, 09:04
Someone really should tell them that alcohol doesn't perform well in cold weather.

This year is unnaturally warm, hanging between 0 and 30 degrees for the most part. Won't effect the alcohol at that temps too bad. During March they can still get those super sub zero days but more often it's right around 0...from what I gathered from the show.

Fiddleback
11-13-2008, 12:15
The Iditarod racers have been using alcohol burners/stoves for years and years. What's new to me is the use of Heet but I moved from Alaska a long time ago and haven't paid much attention to the race since then.

All in all, it puts the lie to the 'alky doesn't perform well in cold weather' mantra.

FB

Skidsteer
11-13-2008, 19:48
The Iditarod racers have been using alcohol burners/stoves for years and years....

....All in all, it puts the lie to the 'alky doesn't perform well in cold weather' mantra.

FB

Folks still seem to cling to their perceptions. The biggest mistake people make when carrying an alcohol stove in Winter is depending on a miniature canister stove(aka a bic)to fire it up.

yappy
11-14-2008, 11:51
yeah, that is a cool show. i live in Fairbanks and have a major crush on mackey ! that guy is an animal..... we have friends that run it... pretty awesome but the DOGS are the true athletes. They are beyond belief.

Homer&Marje
11-14-2008, 17:12
yeah, that is a cool show. i live in Fairbanks and have a major crush on mackey ! that guy is an animal..... we have friends that run it... pretty awesome but the DOGS are the true athletes. They are beyond belief.

Dogs are definitely the true athletes. It must be such a let down for a dog that has to get sent home. They look so sad when the rest of the team pulls away.

mudcap
11-14-2008, 17:27
Dogs are definitely the true athletes. It must be such a let down for a dog that has to get sent home. They look so sad when the rest of the team pulls away.

I agree Homer,they look so depressed. I am sure they feel like they let everyone down. I am a dog owner/lover,I could not imagine leaving a dog behind.

My brother and I trained/ran sled dogs many years ago for a local musher headed to Alaska for the race.That was an experience I will never forget. Those dogs are as individual as people. Every single one has a unique personality,it is pretty wild to get to know them.

Homer&Marje
11-14-2008, 17:39
I agree Homer,they look so depressed. I am sure they feel like they let everyone down. I am a dog owner/lover,I could not imagine leaving a dog behind.

My brother and I trained/ran sled dogs many years ago for a local musher headed to Alaska for the race.That was an experience I will never forget. Those dogs are as individual as people. Every single one has a unique personality,it is pretty wild to get to know them.

Really incredible how the good mushers know exactly where and when to put different dogs. I love dogs and I would probably be too close to them to be able to do that sort of thing. My good friend growing up who has Muscular Dystrophy had two dogs, a pure bread Husky and a Siberian. We used to put him in the front of the dog sled and one or two of us kids would stand on the back of the runners and control, Back woods of Vermont on cross country ski trails...tons of fun. Dogs hated to go back home, they had more fun than us I think.

mudcap
11-14-2008, 18:28
Really incredible how the good mushers know exactly where and when to put different dogs. I love dogs and I would probably be too close to them to be able to do that sort of thing. My good friend growing up who has Muscular Dystrophy had two dogs, a pure bread Husky and a Siberian. We used to put him in the front of the dog sled and one or two of us kids would stand on the back of the runners and control, Back woods of Vermont on cross country ski trails...tons of fun. Dogs hated to go back home, they had more fun than us I think.

You nailed it Homer,I really believe the dogs are having more fun than us. I think their main goal in life is to make us happy.We could take some lessons from them,I have never seen a selfish dog.

BTW,great story. Sounds like some fond memories with your buddy.

Homer&Marje
11-14-2008, 22:47
You nailed it Homer,I really believe the dogs are having more fun than us. I think their main goal in life is to make us happy.We could take some lessons from them,I have never seen a selfish dog.

BTW,great story. Sounds like some fond memories with your buddy.

Damn right good times. He is on his "last legs"... His MD has started to affect his heart and brain. We hold the good memories though

mudcap
11-15-2008, 00:43
Damn right good times. He is on his "last legs"... His MD has started to affect his heart and brain. We hold the good memories though

Hey Homer,wishing you and your buddy the best. Glad you are there for Him,thats pretty special in my book! You are a TRUE friend.

yappy
11-15-2008, 11:09
We adopted 2 sleddies. they had a HORRIBLE life. Don't be fooled... there is alot of trouble in AK with dogs. Sickening things happen.. even with the famous mushers. It is not all that it appears to be.

Fiddleback
11-15-2008, 11:52
All dogs are cool...not so, all racers.:-?

FB

yappy
11-15-2008, 12:00
yes, that is about it in a nutshell... sorry to say.

yappy
11-22-2008, 14:09
I just watched the final 4 segments... what a story ! I kept up last yr so i knew that mackey had sneaked out on King.. but, i still loved it ! there are NO rules and he did what he had to do to win. A great story. i wonder if he can pull it off again this yr.. back to back to back yukon quest and Id wins... should be something.

Sly
11-22-2008, 14:39
Does the 1st Dude do dogs? Heh, heh...

yappy
11-22-2008, 16:46
LOL... now Sly... we can't go THERE on this site....