PDA

View Full Version : New Book: Class of 2006

Shasta
11-12-2008, 20:03
Hey guys!

It's finally here! Those of you who followed Baro's trailjournals closely, will be excited to know that pt.1 of his book Through Hiker’s Eyes – A Journey Along the Appalachian Trail is finished and available. Part 2 is ready to go to the publisher and will be available sometime early next year.

I got my copy in the mail last Thursday and couldn't put it down! Baro has such a good memory (Oh my gosh!- I remember that actualy conversation!) and also a sense of wit and humor that really moves the book along. Model T has even given his approval of the book!

So if you knew Baro (or Jangles, Mouse, H-Bomb, Shasta, Donkey (love), Hot Springs, The River Weasel, Silverfoot, or Chardonnay) on or from the trail, you might be interested in checking this out. Or if you didn't meet any of us, but want to relive those good times of the paths of people coming from very different worlds as they intertwined and meshed together to become one the A.T., you might be interested too.
:clap
~Shasta Ga-> ME '06

As Baro's email reads:
“What happens when an Alabama Boy Scout, a California hippie, a New England young gun, a Southern princess, and a blue-eyed all-American girl cross paths in the woods and embark on a five-month hike through fourteen States and a colorful patchwork of characters? Welcome to the Appalachian Trail community. Stretching from Georgia to Maine , the 2,175 mile Appalachian Trail sets the backdrop for this hilarious, fast-paced adventure where danger, hijinks, and fellowship challenge the limits of expectation and redefine lives.”

There are three ways to order the book:

Go to Jasper, Alabama and talk to my mom. She’ll be happy to give you a box load.
Go to www.trailpeddler.com (http://www.trailpeddler.com/) and order by Pay Pal. The web site is brand new and still has a few gremlins in it, but should hopefully be functional.
I’ve attached a mail order form. Simply fill it out and mail it.

By the way, my Aunt Pinki said “The book is fabulous and hilarious!” and my Aunt Pinki is never wrong.

Sincerely,
Larry Alexander
Program Director
ChallengePoint
(256) 651-5024
www.challengepoint.org (http://www.challengepoint.org/)

Phreak
11-12-2008, 20:13
Wow, the price ($35) seems steep to me.

Shasta
11-12-2008, 20:22
$35- is for both books. Right now, only part 1 is in print and Baro is selling it for $20-.

Phreak
11-12-2008, 21:00
$35- is for both books. Right now, only part 1 is in print and Baro is selling it for $20-.
True, but buying the parts separately increases the price to $40.

Keane Watts
11-12-2008, 21:04
I got Baro's book last week at trailpeddler.com and finished it in two days. It was hilarious! Shasta I totally feel like I know you now. Did you really give him soup out of someone's pee cup?

Lyle
11-12-2008, 22:41
I hiked with these folks some in PA during the flooding. Great group, should be lots of hilarious stories. I'll be putting my order in soon.

emerald
11-13-2008, 00:04
You should post more often.:welcome I enjoyed meeting you and rest of your group at 501 Shelter.

Thanks for letting us all know Larry's book is now available.

SOG/Peter

d2b2
11-13-2008, 17:54
I followed Baro and his tribe during the hike, and would literally laugh til I cried, he is such a great writer, and his journal was hilarious!

I bought the book and am enjoying it even more than when he was actually out on the trail- (maybe because I know Sorrow and Suffering brought him home safely?!)

The price is well worth the read- seriously! And I can't wait for the 2nd part- I'm going to bother- er, I mean- encourage him to get on with it and hurry up and get it published!!! I have to know about the clowns!

(and its great to have my questions about the who, what, and how did they get that name - answered.... finally. I can sleep now..........)

Shasta
11-13-2008, 19:54
I got Baro's book last week at trailpeddler.com and finished it in two days. It was hilarious! Shasta I totally feel like I know you now. Did you really give him soup out of someone's pee cup?
Oh I'm sure you do feel like you know me... and there's more to come in pt. 2. :) I swear I didn't know that was someone's pee cup before I served Baro soup in it! But yes... that story as pretty much everything else in the book is true... or at the very least Baro's interpretation of a true event. Laugh until you cry pretty much sums it up...

Shasta
11-13-2008, 19:59
You should post more often.:welcome I enjoyed meeting you and rest of your group at 501 Shelter.

Thanks for letting us all know Larry's book is now available.

SOG/Peter
Shades of Grey-

Was it you that gave us a ride to some much needed food from 501? Thank you! And thank's for your support.

I've been a lurker on here since before my thru-hike and try to keep up with all the trail news. A fair number of "the tribe" made it to Trail Days last year too. I'll have to get better with posting- the trail remains close to my heart.

Be on the look out for when we reach the 501 shelter in pt. 2!

-Shasta

Blissful
11-13-2008, 20:21
Congrats on the book!

emerald
11-13-2008, 20:53
Was it you that gave us a ride to some much needed food from 501?

Yes, you are one of maybe only a dozen who post here who's seen Shades of Gray.

I'll have to get better with posting- the trail remains close to my heart.

You're doing fine and you have much to contribute.

Be on the look out for when we reach the 501 shelter in pt. 2!

Since I know when you'll get there, I'll be waiting when you arrive.

Silverfoot
11-15-2008, 11:12
Great Thread Shasta!
The book is absolutely hilarious. I always love to see the "truth" through Baro's eyes, its always so much more colorful than the way I see it! I can't wait for book two, but hopefully I will be out of classes when it comes out... its a great distractor.

emerald
11-15-2008, 13:22
:welcometo WhiteBlaze and congratulations on your first post! If you are new to WhiteBlaze, you will soon discover we have multiple threadways and threadway widening. Some of our threads come to an abrupt if not unexpected end while others seemingly go on forever.:rolleyes:

There's one thing I'm sure everyone will be clamoring to know. Are you the real Silverfoot or just someone trying to capitalize on her notoriety?;)

SOG

Lyle
11-15-2008, 13:35
Yes, welcome Silverfoot. I had lunch with you and Rusch Hour at the Caledonia pool back in '06. I'm looking forward to reading Baro's account.

Hope you stick around here.

h-bomb
11-15-2008, 14:05
I heart Baro!
Seriously, though, at some point during the trail shasta and i were in a public library checking emails and we happened to drift over to the trailjournals website and started reading some of baros postings. one in particular described a slightly embarrassing moment that baro had in an outhouse at a shelter where we were all staying. for some reason, he failed to mention the incident to us after it happend, but his account of it on his online journal had me rolling with laughter in the library floor. it was then that i truly grasped what a great storyteller baro is. some people write a book and when you finish reading it you can barely remember the characters names. baro wrote a book that makes you feel like you are right there in the middle of the action and that his friends are your friends. get it; read it; you will love it! (especially if you like to laugh out loud!)

As far as price goes, according to the Department of Education and Training website (http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/cmis/eval/library/avprice/) as of November 15, 2008, the average cost of a fiction paperback book in 2007 was $17.95, up from $14.39 from 2006. With the cost of fuel and therefore goods and services on the rise, $20.00 for a 432-page book does not sound unreasonable to me.

grace and peace--h-bomb

ps- thanks for the ride, shades of gray. i still remember how the arby's curly fries and jamocha shake felt on my tongue!

emerald
11-15-2008, 14:23
Y'all are awsome! Glad to see another has checked in.:welcome

BumpJumper
11-19-2008, 10:33
Phreak,
Pay $35, get part 1 NOW....in March, they send you part 2.

This sounds like a great set of books. I have been wanting another AT book to read that has some humor in it. I am going to get them.

Lyle
11-19-2008, 11:52
Just ordered my copy, both volumes. Should be a GREAT read.

h-bomb
11-21-2008, 00:31
i just ordered 20 copies! all of south carolina will be entertained for xmas! =)

emerald
11-21-2008, 01:27
i just ordered 20 copies! all of south carolina will be entertained for xmas! =)

Y'all think she really did?:-? I'd better get in my order before the price goes up!:eek:

Drover
12-11-2008, 11:25
I just got my copy ... Great journey - or, at least, half a journey! Got to say that there are some incredibly dull and boring AT books - by some pretty self-absorbed folks. This is most definitely not one of them! Bring on Part II, Baro!

brooklynkayak
12-23-2008, 09:03
I've read a few hiking books, all good. But none were as continuously entertaining as part 1 of Baro's book.