PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing

camich
03-31-2004, 13:24
Hi
Does anyone have advice on seam sealing tents and backpacks? How often should it be done? Should I seal the seam on the inside of the tent or the outside? Any advice is greatly appreciated! -Cam

deeddawg
03-31-2004, 14:17
First off, IMHO don't waste your time with anything but McNett's Seam Grip for fabrics other than sil-nylon. If seam-sealing sil-nylon, either use McNett's Sil-Net or thin some silicone with mineral spirits.

I seam-seal on the outside, as I figure it is easier to prevent water from getting into the seam in the first place rather than trying to control where it might come through the seam.

If you can find them (try your Dentist or use Google to find an online source), the Monoject 412 curved-tip irrigation syringe is a great way to use a little seam-sealer as necessary. The curved tip makes it easy to place a bead of sealer right on the threads and in the fold of the seam.

After the seam-sealer is completely dry, dust with a little talcum powder to prevent the seam-sealer from sticking to itself when you pack up your tent or tarp.

Occasionally check the seams and see if there are any gaps or worn spots, then clean the area thoroughly before reapplying seam-sealer. I have yet to reseal a seam, though I suppose it would be necessary after a while.

camich
04-01-2004, 11:57
Thanks for the info.