PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Precip Users

snuggums
03-31-2004, 13:24
For you thruhikers that have used Marmot Precip jackets: did they last the whole trip, and did they remain waterproof for the whole journey? Thanks!

Grimace
03-31-2004, 13:28
I did not use it on my thru but have had one ever since. IT works great after 3 years and it is still water proof. One of my hiking partners had the precip on the AT. He loved it.

However, no such thing as waterproof. If you got any coat zipped up tight, chances are you'll sweat enough to get soaked. I only bothered with my coat if it was below 40 degrees. I liked the "shower" better.

walkon
03-31-2004, 13:45
i concur with the below 40degrees usage. the jacket is great as a windbreaker and coldweather shell, as well as very durable. i did notice that using trekking poles causes water to run down your arms and pool at elbows if the cuffs are not kept snug. when i would drop my arms i would feel a cascade pour out my sleeves in addition to wetting my base layer.
super light coat, great value. check out the anorak, its lighter.
walkon

Poster
03-31-2004, 14:26
Although I didn't have this jacket for my 2000 hike, I have had it for the past couple years. In my opinion, you can't buy a better rain shell for the weight and quality of this jacket. I am a forestry student, and have used this jacket while chaining straight cruise lines through thickets of hawthorn and blackberry, and although my hands got all scraped to shreds, the jacket has yet to tear or puncture. It's definately has the highest durability to weight ratio of any rain jacket I've ever owned. Not to mention that it has kept me dry through countless down pours and blizzards. Get one, you won't be sorry.

Poster
GA-NY '00
GA-ME '05

gravityman
03-31-2004, 14:39
Used mine for about 800 miles before switching to Rainshield. They held up well on the outside, but the taped seam at my neck was coming apart and wore through. Same for the butt of the pants.

Gravity man

snuggums
04-01-2004, 01:19
Thanks for the input. I was just wondering because the "waterproof" standard is 25 psi, and thats what the Precip rates. Of course, after several washings, and hardcore use, the rating becomes lower due to wearing away of the coating. Similar lightweight coated jackets, such as the North Face's Venture jacket, are rated to 40 psi. Gore comes in at 80 psi, and as most of us hopefully know, because it is an actual material instead of a coating is much more durable. But, because Gore tex jackets are typically heavier, I was hoping to see some real world feedback on how well the precip performed over time, especially long distance hiking. So keep it coming. Thanks

Blue Jay
04-01-2004, 08:27
Thanks for the input. I was just wondering because the "waterproof" standard is 25 psi, and thats what the Precip rates. Of course, after several washings, and hardcore use, the rating becomes lower due to wearing away of the coating. Similar lightweight coated jackets, such as the North Face's Venture jacket, are rated to 40 psi. Gore comes in at 80 psi, and as most of us hopefully know, because it is an actual material instead of a coating is much more durable. But, because Gore tex jackets are typically heavier, I was hoping to see some real world feedback on how well the precip performed over time, especially long distance hiking. So keep it coming. Thanks

The Precip is not a coated jacket. It is the Marmot version of Goretex. I sweat even in the winter luging packs up mountains. I don't know what the psi rating is but it breathes better than Goretex for me. I also thought it would tear, but as I got it used as a return I didn't care. Three years of abuse and it works as well as it ever did. I also usually avoid "Yuppie" brands like Marmot but this coat has converted me.

Kozmic Zian
04-01-2004, 09:34
Yea......Pre-cip. I got one, cause of the weight. Have used it since 2000. Very waterproof for a non gortex jacket. Didn't like the hood. It did't seem large enough, would't pull down over the bill of my BB hat. Part of the seam sealing came off around the neck, but that 'seams' to happen to alot of these things. Weight and compressability are excellent. For the money, it's an excellent value.....I'd buy another one. KZ@

oyvay
04-01-2004, 13:35
I had the rainpants before I started at Springer in 2000, then got the jacket in Damascus. My original jacket (not marmot) was too heavy. I still have/use both, but the seat of the pants is duct taped from purposely sliding down an icy strech of trail one winter, easier than stepping, it was fun, I enjoyed it and I haven't had to replace the tape since. I wouldn't mind a set of frogg toggs, but not until the precip goes. I even have a nylon marmot baseball cap, free from a vendor at TD in 2000.

snuggums
04-01-2004, 13:56
The Precip is not a coated jacket. It is the Marmot version of Goretex. I sweat even in the winter luging packs up mountains. I don't know what the psi rating is but it breathes better than Goretex for me. I also thought it would tear, but as I got it used as a return I didn't care. Three years of abuse and it works as well as it ever did. I also usually avoid "Yuppie" brands like Marmot but this coat has converted me.
Precip is a coating. This is from Marmot's website:
PreCip™ Technology
Marmot's proprietary PU coating technology specially engineered for unlined garments. PreCip combines hydrophobic and hydrophilic PU with a special Dry Touch Technology silk protein in a very precisely controlled 2 layer coating system. PreCip is specially formulated for excellent durability and breathability with Dry Touch next to the skin which reduces condensation and the sticky clammy feel of most coatings.
Waterproofness: 10,000mm, 25 PSI
Breathability: 10,000gr/m/24 hrs, Ret 60-70
Windproofness: O CFM
All I care about is how durable it would be during a thru hike, as the rep told me that it wasn't a good choice for thru hikers because of the durability, but obviously, a lot of long distance hikers use them. ;)

gravityman
04-01-2004, 14:16
The "coating" is a white teflon-like material on the inside of the jacket. It's really is the same as gortex in essence.

It'll last the trip. You will probably end up switching to frogg toggs to save weight, but maybe not...

Look at rainshield in the blue. Lighter than frog toggs...

Gravity Man