PDA

View Full Version : What do you think ?

Ron Haven
11-14-2008, 00:49
There is much talk lately about the tourism of hikers in Franklin.There are many things in the makings for the future.I was invited to speak in front of the town council to talk on behalf of the hikers this past Monday night.Also who was there and gave a very intresting speech also was the president of the Nantahala Hikng Club who is Bill Van Horn.Lots of things were discussed.

The discussion was talked about how many were using the AT in our county as through hikers,sectioners and week enders.There were praises sent for the efforts of what our staff at Budget Inn has done to promote the hiker tourism in Franklin,the April Hiker Fool Bash,the transportation arrangement we provide and many things the hikers had done to help businesses while they visit Franklin.

We were thinking of the town promoting and getting involved with things like the Fools Bash and working with the hiking club to make Franklin a gateway town for the hikers.I had a couple of news reporters contact me the next day after the meeting.Also my wife saw today articles in the local news papers about our presentation to the town board.

I had told the council that I would love to see the bash put on right in the middle of town and the town to get more get involved like they do in Hot Springs.That certainlly would not mean that I would not be involved.I fully intend to be involved with hikers until the hikers would see fit to run me off.I would still want to carry on the same tradition at Sapphire Inn in the evenings that weekend.2009 will be our 5th successful year for the bash.
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/beer.gif

There are several from the town board who said they would like to stop by our Christmas Party luncheon at the American Legion Hall.They said they would like to meet people of the hiker community.I told them it is a fun get together and we see many of our trail friends.

I spoke today with one of the town co-ordinators who said she would get a count on who wanted to attend.I told her there would be people coming who helped arrange event such as this in other towns.It would give me great pleasure to introduce all of you that come to our town leaders.;)

I was also invited to another meeting at the library this Friday night on this same subject.

No Belay
11-14-2008, 00:56
Hey Bus driver,

You're up late tonight. Sounds like a good time to mingle with your board. Can we still act like hikers? See you at the ball.

Savor Happy!

Ron Haven
11-14-2008, 01:02
I wouldn't have it any other way.I told them hikers have fun and I ment fun :D They are cool though.I went to school with the mayor.All of you folks know me.If they can tolerate me all of you won't have a problem.

I know I'm up late and I have got to get to bed.I have some south bounders who want to go back to the trail early.

Egads
11-14-2008, 05:47
Ron,

It's great the town of Franklin is getting behind you and recognizing the contribution that you are making in Franklin, and that hikers are viewed as desirable tourists by the community.

We appreciate your help

Egads

BumpJumper
11-14-2008, 08:47
Ron that is good of you to offer this for Franklin and the hiker society! Thanks.

I personally would love to see it. I love Franklin for personal reasons. My mom, who passed away this year lived in Hiawassee. Her and I spent alot of time there and my memories are super.
Also, I lost my ex husband this year up in GA from a motorcycle crash. Our riding group stayed in Franklin everytime we all went up to ride. So you can see how I am attached to Franklin. Anything to help promote it AND hiking...GREAT:banana

garlic08
11-14-2008, 10:53
Ron;

Franklin was my first town stop on the AT this year, and largely because of your efforts, I remember it as one of my best. It seems you are making a difference there. Thanks again and good luck in your future efforts.

Anda con Dios.

Blissful
11-14-2008, 10:57
Franklin is a wonderful town, and it's great to have you there as an advocate, Ron. Thanks so much.

Roots
11-14-2008, 11:15
This is great! Franklin is a great town and with you behind it, it is even better. I definitely think this could be a good thing for the town if they helped promote hiker tourism. This is a great idea to expand the bash to downtown. Kudos to you on all the hard work you do. We love you!!!!

yappy
11-14-2008, 11:25
Hi Ron, Franklin is a cool town and the hiking is awesome ! I sometimes wish I did'nt live so freaking far away so I could come to some of the hiker events. Maybe everyone could come to Alaska ??... :) hope to sobo the AT some time soon..

bpitt
11-14-2008, 11:58
As a past customer of yours and of Franklin, I found both quiet pleasant and was pleased with both. I enjoyed seeing a flyer at your hotel from a local church offering free pancake breakfast's this past spring. I think it's great to see local church's getting involved...hint...hint...

Bearpaw88
11-14-2008, 16:29
Ron,

How wonderful of you and the town of Franklin. My stay at the sapphire this year was great, and you are an absolutely great guy. The town offers much for hikers and I hope that hikers can offer just as much to the town.
I can't remember the name but there was a great place to eat near the sapphire where you could throw al your peanut shells on the ground!:D
Thanks

Bearpaw

neighbor dave
11-14-2008, 16:41
:) hope to sobo the AT some time soon..

:-?me too me too!!!:welcome

Ron Haven
11-14-2008, 20:55
Thanks for all the nice things all of you have said and I hope to enjoy working with the hikers for many years to come.By the town getting involved there will be even more I hope here for the hikers.Franklin being only 106 miles from Springer it is a great place to stop for lots of reasons.

Being 8 miles from the trail is why I have a white blaze on the steps of the bus.Thanks for each comment and I am sure that the town board members are reading them too.Looking forward to see as many of you as possible at the Christmas party here in Franklin on Dec 6th :D

Mrs Baggins
11-14-2008, 21:34
I'll never forgot how wonderful you were to me and SHOE this past year when we needed to bail at Stecoha Gap and you sent a ride for us. I love your hotels and you and I can't wait to get my husband there to meet you. We'll support you in every way that we can! And please, someday put your stories on tape (DVD? some kind of recordable archive) for all who come after. You are a national treasure.

Ron Haven
11-14-2008, 21:53
Hi Ron, Franklin is a cool town and the hiking is awesome ! I sometimes wish I did'nt live so freaking far away so I could come to some of the hiker events. Maybe everyone could come to Alaska ??... :) hope to sobo the AT some time soon..What part of Alaska do you live? Next summer I want to take my kids to Alaska.

Summit
11-14-2008, 22:11
Ron,

I really enjoyed my stay at 'Budget' October a year ago and the chat with you on your shuttle to Dick's Creek to start my hike. I was amazed at all the roads you pointed out along the way and turn-by-turn how to get to nearly every gap in that section of AT.

I haven't attended one of your parties yet but I intend to. Will see if the 6th will work out!!! I love Franklin and fully support the town embracing hikers and visa versa!

Ron Haven
11-14-2008, 23:50
Ron,

I really enjoyed my stay at 'Budget' October a year ago and the chat with you on your shuttle to Dick's Creek to start my hike. I was amazed at all the roads you pointed out along the way and turn-by-turn how to get to nearly every gap in that section of AT.

I haven't attended one of your parties yet but I intend to. Will see if the 6th will work out!!! I love Franklin and fully support the town embracing hikers and visa versa!I remember our ride.Join us if possible.Durham isn't to far away.I have to make my living by knowing those back roads;)

yappy
11-15-2008, 11:00
I live in a small community about 20 miles outside fairbanks, 2 rivers. Lte me know if ya come up !

Roots
11-15-2008, 12:01
What part of Alaska do you live? Next summer I want to take my kids to Alaska.
Can I be one of your kids for the summer. :D

yappy
11-15-2008, 12:10
LOL.... yeah, there is something about the state... everyone should come have a look.... before it gets screwed up.

mikec
11-15-2008, 12:10
I stayed in Franklin in March, 1999 to get away from a snow storm on the AT. Very nice trail town. I wouldn't mind going back there again some day to hike some AT side trails in the area. Good luck in your efforts.

Roots
11-15-2008, 12:15
LOL.... yeah, there is something about the state... everyone should come have a look.... before it gets screwed up.

I totally envy you, Yappy. One day we plan on making it that way. Hopefully, like you said, it won't be screwed up by then. :)

yappy
11-15-2008, 16:51
better hurry Roots ! .. not really... there is ALOT of wilderness up there... but it is changing, fast.

Ron Haven
11-15-2008, 19:43
Can I be one of your kids for the summer. :DYou could be one of my kids anytime.I thought about a cruise from Long Beach,California we could see more by driving up through the Yukon.

Ron Haven
11-15-2008, 19:50
I live in a small community about 20 miles outside fairbanks, 2 rivers. Lte me know if ya come up !I'm planning to go this coming summer to Alaska.We spend the summers in California anyway.

bronco
11-15-2008, 20:54
Ron , I was in Franklin at the Saphire inn on Wednesday night- Thursday Morning. I tried to find you but had no luck. I was hoping to get to see ya. I took the southbound ladies out to dinner. I had a great time in Franklin when I was there this year. you do a great service for the hikers. I met you at Cloud 9 at the hiker party this spring then spent a few night at your place. keep in touch Bronco

Bare Bear
11-15-2008, 21:13
Gee Ron, I was really hoping you would have time to carry my pack for me this coming spring walk...............nah I ain't no stinking slackpacker :) But I will be staying at the BI again when I pass thru.

Ron Haven
11-15-2008, 23:30
Ron , I was in Franklin at the Saphire inn on Wednesday night- Thursday Morning. I tried to find you but had no luck. I was hoping to get to see ya. I took the southbound ladies out to dinner. I had a great time in Franklin when I was there this year. you do a great service for the hikers. I met you at Cloud 9 at the hiker party this spring then spent a few night at your place. keep in touch BroncoI am sorry I missed you.I have been very busy.

Gee Ron, I was really hoping you would have time to carry my pack for me this coming spring walk...............nah I ain't no stinking slackpacker :) But I will be staying at the BI again when I pass thru.I will go hiking some with you when I can but in the spring I am usually pretty busy with the bus.