PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Suggestions

Seraph
11-14-2008, 10:09
I am looking to hear suggestions regarding a planned week long hike this coming Spring around Pennsylvania. I am wondering where along the trail might be a good place to do this. I average about 8-14 miles per day depending on the steepness, rock content, etc of the trial. Specifically, I'm looking to travel through the less populated regions of the trail and have considered the area around "St. Anthony's Wilderness." Other considerations important to me is the difficulty involved in the section of the trail; I would prefer more difficult sections if possible. Also, I do intentions to bring along a dog; every section of the trail I have been on thus far does not have an issue with dogs, but I know it can be a consideration with regard to certain shelter areas and other people on the trail. While I am on the subject of shelters, I do not intend to use them given that I prefer the privacy of my tent. That being said it is not a large consideration of whether or not there are shelters within a given day's hike. I believe I have considered many of the relevant issues, but if I have forgotten one please let me know and I will do my best to answer it. Thank you

- Seraph

Blissful
11-14-2008, 11:03
Welcome to White Blaze!

PM Shades of Gray (you can do that by a member search). He can probably offer some good suggestions.

buff_jeff
11-14-2008, 11:17
I'd do Port Clinton to the Delaware Water Gap (76 miles). I'd say that's the most difficult section in PA, at least the rockiest, and there are some pretty neat areas in that section. The Lehigh Gap is pretty cool and the Delaware Water Gap, Pinnacle, and Pulpit Rock areas are very nice.

Bare Bear
11-15-2008, 21:37
First see a competent medical professional for that urge to hike Rocksylvania...........

buff_jeff
11-15-2008, 21:40
First see a competent medical professional for that urge to hike Rocksylvania...........

My first backpacking trip ever was solo from the Del Water Gap to Port Clinton. When I got done, I swore I'd never go hiking again. :D

Bare Bear
11-15-2008, 21:42
I hiked it three times now and every time I swear I will never go back.............at least until 2009 now.

Panzer1
11-15-2008, 22:02
The best part of PA is southern PA, from the PA/MD border to the Susquehanna river/Duncannon. (86 miles)

Panzer

emerald
11-16-2008, 02:04
PM Shades of Gray (you can do that by a member search). He can probably offer some good suggestions.

Seraph, I added you to my contacts list. You may PM me if you wish.

Just click on someone's screen name to PM. It's faster and less hassle.

shelterbuilder
11-16-2008, 13:22
Check your PM file; reply at your leisure.

shelterbuilder.

ki0eh
11-17-2008, 16:17
The "St. Anthony's Wilderness" section is probably the easiest in terms of elevation change and there are relatively few rocks. It does have a relatively long shelter interval (17+ miles between Peters Mtn and Rausch Gap) but I see that doesn't bother you. Duncannon to Port Clinton has the least elevation change per mile of the whole A.T. as I recall.

If you want a less populated and harder trail for a long hike in PA you could consider the Mid State trail. The middle half of the PA MST offers more rocks, higher views, and far less traffic than the PA A.T. No shelters, nobody to bother you or for you to bother. There are a couple of WB threads offering further discussion.