PDA

View Full Version : Bear Jerky??

Blister
11-14-2008, 14:11
I have been surfing the internet looking for bear jerky recipes. Many sites advocate not to try it at all, a bear, being of the pig family (I never realized that till now). However many of the very red neck sites I visited proclaim it is delicious. I found a couple of what seem bland recipees but would like to kick it up a notch :-?
Has anyone ever had bear jerky
Has anyone ever come across any recipes for either a bear jerky or pepperoni?

Lone Wolf
11-14-2008, 14:14
http://www.duenorth.net/sturgeonriveroutfitters/recipies.html

take-a-knee
11-14-2008, 14:19
I have been surfing the internet looking for bear jerky recipes. Many sites advocate not to try it at all, a bear, being of the pig family (I never realized that till now). However many of the very red neck sites I visited proclaim it is delicious. I found a couple of what seem bland recipees but would like to kick it up a notch :-?
Has anyone ever had bear jerky
Has anyone ever come across any recipes for either a bear jerky or pepperoni?

Black bear makes a tasty stew, I would stay away from the jerky because of trichinosis. Make jerky from a deer.

woodsy
11-14-2008, 14:27
I have eaten bear jerky but never made it.
Sources i have says game meats and pork must be frozen 30 days @ 0 deg F before drying to kill any parasites that me be present. FWIW

Blister
11-14-2008, 14:56
Thanks L.W. that was one of the two recipes I found, it sounds kinda bland. The other one I got of the food network site.

Woodsy - yeh I have researched exactly what you mentioned. The meat I intend to use has been frozen for the appropriate time.

I ran across some pork jerky that had the same advice but did a quick stove top cooking in its brine before drying which is also a added precaution to kill any bacteria. I'm probablly gonna start experimenting next week.

Hopefully I can find some more recipees. Just made a huge bunch of bear meatballs. FREAKIN YUMMY! I thought they would taste gamey but they only had a slight wild taste.

take-a-knee
11-14-2008, 15:36
Thanks L.W. that was one of the two recipes I found, it sounds kinda bland. The other one I got of the food network site.

Woodsy - yeh I have researched exactly what you mentioned. The meat I intend to use has been frozen for the appropriate time.

I ran across some pork jerky that had the same advice but did a quick stove top cooking in its brine before drying which is also a added precaution to kill any bacteria. I'm probablly gonna start experimenting next week.

Hopefully I can find some more recipees. Just made a huge bunch of bear meatballs. FREAKIN YUMMY! I thought they would taste gamey but they only had a slight wild taste.

Bacteria isn't the problem, trichinosis is a multicellular parasite, treatment consists of chemicals (read poisons) that aren't too pleasant and aren't always sucessful. If the parasites make it to their intended destination, your muscle tissue, you are screwed. Certainly not every black bear has trichinosis, likely very few do. But always remember what the Duke said,"Life is hard, it's a lot harder when you are stupid" (and ignorant, though I've just remedied the latter, the former is up to you).

Fiddleback
11-14-2008, 21:11
Trichinosis is rare in the U.S.. Given the regulation of our food industry, game meat is the major source of the disease and bear meat in particular has become the most common cause. Neither smoking nor drying the meat is considered sufficient to prevent trichinosis infection so I'd be leery of any bear jerky. Or at least very careful and certain of the preparation.

T. nativa in Alaska bear and walrus meat is cold-resistant. Unlike pork, freezing arctic meat will NOT kill larval cysts. Bear or walrus meat is safe once the entire piece is completely cooked to a gray color. USDA recommends attaining an internal temperature of at least 160° F. Microwaving may not render meat safe as cooking may be uneven. http://www.epi.alaska.gov/bulletins/docs/b2000_18.htm

Ecology teaches us that all things are interconnected. But, even then, claiming bears and pigs are in the same family is a bit of a stretch.:D Bear are in the Ursidae family, pig in Suidae. And those families are in separate Orders; the even-toed ungulates (Artiodactyla) for the pigs, while the bears hang out with the Carnivora, the guys with the sharp claws.

FB

Mrs Baggins
11-14-2008, 21:14
ummmmmmmmmm.............first I'd have to get close enough to the bear to make the jerky.............I'll try it if you'll make it! :)

Mrs Baggins
11-14-2008, 21:21
Before the "you are against hunting but you eat meat!" freaks get all worked up............I love meat. And if I couldn't buy it in a store I would absolutely go out and kill it myself. I'd prefer NOT getting close enough to something that would also eat ME but if that were my only chance to eat meat I'd use the .308 in a heartbeat to end a hearbeat so I could have meat.........so there.

take-a-knee
11-14-2008, 22:02
Before the "you are against hunting but you eat meat!" freaks get all worked up............I love meat. And if I couldn't buy it in a store I would absolutely go out and kill it myself. I'd prefer NOT getting close enough to something that would also eat ME but if that were my only chance to eat meat I'd use the .308 in a heartbeat to end a hearbeat so I could have meat.........so there.

The lady certainly knows what caliber to use!

RITBlake
11-14-2008, 22:36
Just go buy some damn jerky. No sense in killing a bear just so you can try something

JRiker
11-14-2008, 22:40
figured some fool would chime in (RITBlake). Just go buy some jerky, because the jerky you get in the store DEFINITELY DID NOT come from an animal (note the sarcasm). Hunting is better than raising animals anyways, at least wild ones get to roam free before they die.

mudcap
11-15-2008, 00:31
I make jerky from deer,beaver,turkey,bear,bison,beef,pig,etc. I am still alive to type this...must be my methods are fine. Two simple things,No moisture and plenty of salt. Common sense,keep it cool and out of the sun. Also,trim all fat.

Fiddleback
11-15-2008, 11:27
This turn towards food safety reminds me of Yul Brynner's famous suit against a New York Trader Vic's restaurant where he (allegedly) contracted trichinosis from the spare ribs he was served. He settled out of court and, in the end, it was smoking and the subsequent lung cancer, not trichinosis, that did him in...

Which lends itself to the posts above...ya' don't have to go out and shoot a wild animal or eat dry beaver to contract parasitic diseases.:D

FB

Father Dragon
11-18-2008, 23:43
, a bear, being of the pig family

Did academia merge the Ursidea and Susidea families?

take-a-knee
11-18-2008, 23:48
Did academia merge the Ursidea and Susidea families?

I think he was refering to their both being carriers of trichinosis (true), no insult to Linaeus was intended, IMO:)

Father Dragon
11-18-2008, 23:54
I think he was refering to their both being carriers of trichinosis (true), no insult to Linaeus was intended, IMO:)

I know, I couldn't help myself!

the goat
11-18-2008, 23:59
This turn towards food safety reminds me of Yul Brynner's famous suit against a New York Trader Vic's restaurant where he (allegedly) contracted trichinosis from the spare ribs he was served. He settled out of court and, in the end, it was smoking and the subsequent lung cancer, not trichinosis, that did him in...

Which lends itself to the posts above...ya' don't have to go out and shoot a wild animal or eat dry beaver to contract parasitic diseases.:D

FB

i saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at trader vic's.....his hair was perfect......

awooooooooooooooo......

taildragger
11-19-2008, 00:24
Shoot a deer and use that for jerky.

Turn that bear into stew.

Other than that, I'd just take a regular recipe and kick it up myself (chipotle maybe?)

JAK
11-19-2008, 01:02
I haven't tried bear meat or bear jerky but it sounds good.

I read years ago that bears and racoons are closely related.
I think that was actually from Burgess Bedtime stories that I read that. LOL

It doesn't actually check out. Go figure.
Racoons have been called Ursus in the past though, by Swedish botanist Linnaeus, 1758

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racoon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Black_Bear

Dicentra
11-20-2008, 13:17
I have eaten bear jerky but never made it.

Me too. I remember it being very greasy.