PDA

View Full Version : layers for thru hiking

LaFeev
11-15-2008, 03:27
Planning a NOBO starting late feb. Im going to be updating my trail wardrobe over the next several weeks and would like to hear exactly what clothes people pack for their thrus. Im mostly interested in layer strategies, but I'd like to know exactly how many articles (i.e. t-shirts) you packed. I've looked at some merino shirts at a local outfitter and am pretty excited about picking some up. So, if you guys could post up your clothing list, what you wore, what was in the pack, etc, I would greatly appreciate it.

garlic08
11-15-2008, 11:14
Just a ventilated trekking shirt, no T-shirts, a synthetic thermal base layer shirt, a Driclime windshirt, a silnylon rain jacket and pants, a down vest between Springer and Pearisburg, lightweight nylon trousers, one extra pair of socks and boxer-briefs. I wore the shirt and trousers all the time, the raingear mainly for laundry days. All my packed clothes fit into a 6 x 14" stuff sack, including the rain gear, and that was my pillow. Good luck!

Dogwood
11-15-2008, 11:18
Just a ventilated trekking shirt, no T-shirts, a synthetic thermal base layer shirt, a Driclime windshirt, a silnylon rain jacket and pants, a down vest between Springer and Pearisburg, lightweight nylon trousers, one extra pair of socks and boxer-briefs. I wore the shirt and trousers all the time, the raingear mainly for laundry days. All my packed clothes fit into a 6 x 14" stuff sack, including the rain gear, and that was my pillow. Good luck!

I like your list Garlic.

LaFeev
11-15-2008, 11:42
K so is one pair of pants the norm? I'd love to hear what other people brought. That was a really helpful take on layering though, thanks Garlic.

Dogwood
11-15-2008, 11:44
Smartwool Microweight(or mid wt.)merino wool short sleeve base(absolutely love Smartwool Micro wt. tees, although not very durable and can be pricey they provide excellent temp. management in a wide range of conditions) or Mountain Hardware synthetic short sleeve shirt, followed by Patagonia thermal mid wt. synthetic(polyester blend) long sleeve base or mid wt. Hot Chillys long sleeve 100 wt. fleece, followed by a Mont Bell thermawrap vest or Patagonia down sweater vest, followed by a rain shell or something like Marmot Dri-Clime ION windshirt, TNF summit series no frills shorts and/or convertble pants like made by Exofficio or EMS, 2 pair Smartwool mid wt. socks, bandana and/or wool Turtle Fur beenie, Manzella Windstopper light wt. gloves(if it is cold). I like to carry 2 sets of clothes if I'm out for more than 5 days or at least have rainpants to change into at town stops.

Dogwood
11-15-2008, 11:56
I think garlic08 and my clothing lists will do U fine when U R hiking or when U R a bit into your thru-hike, but for your starting date in Feb U will most likely want to increase your insulating or warmth layers or add clothes for camp. Be ready to amend what clothing U bring as conditions change.

Mags
11-15-2008, 15:30
No matter what you take, it all boils down to 3 layers (possibly 4 in extreme cold or shoulder season backpacks):

1) Wicking inner player
2) Middle warmth layer
3) Rain/wind layer

4) "Puffy layer" for when it is cold out. Now that I think about it, the sleeping bag may very well considered the 4th layer, esp. if you hike all day and do not spend much time in camp (other than sleeping) for 3 season backpacking

aaroniguana
11-15-2008, 17:37
Mags' list covers mine.

Lightweight polypro layer
Fleece or milspec quilted insulation layer
Marmot jacket and pants

And a down vest for around camp.

LaFeev
11-15-2008, 18:07
Thanks for the breakdown, that pretty much clears up the layer question. Now im curious as to what products you guys use for your "middle, warmth" layer. And if there is a lighter, more packable substitute for a fleece (something that is warm, and possibly windproof, but not necessarily waterproof). Thanks for the input so far.

Mags
11-15-2008, 18:15
Moving all day or spending time in camp as well?

I like a lined windshirt (Marmot DriClime being the most obvious example. I use a Montbell version) as I find it versatile for my hiking style.

If you tend to take more breaks and/or spend more time in camp, a Primaloft-type jacket (essentially a thin layer of synthetic down) is warm in addition to be lighter and less bulky than fleece.

http://www.nextag.com/primaloft-jacket/search-html

The dirt bagger version is $20 with some elbow grease:

http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpk

If you don't mind a bit of sewing, you can make a Montbell Thermwrap clone for less than $20 with the above liner jacket. A men's large comes in at 12oz! Considering a Montbell Thermawrap is $150 and weights 10oz, the cheap way is nice for those on a budget on who need something warm, light and cheap!

Check it out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41034

Panzer1
11-15-2008, 19:07
Whatever you do, plan your layers well. Your life will depend on it.

Panzer

garlic08
11-15-2008, 19:59
Whatever you do, plan your layers well. Your life will depend on it.

Panzer

Absolutely! And, by all means, KEEP YOUR INSULATION DRY!! When it rains, I strip down to hiking shirt and rain shell only (and trousers, of course), put all the insulation in plastic (trash compactor bag), and hike like hell to keep warm. Then when I stop, I everything's dry. Your insulation won't work well if you let it get wet.

LaFeev
11-16-2008, 00:08
awesome, thanks for the info. This has really helped me out. Last question: How many pairs of pants did you take on your thru hike? I have read some people just take one, and rain pants. I have never been a fan of rain pants, and have always had 2 pairs on my longer treks (Though I have never been quite as weight conscience as I am for this trip). So I was just wondering where people stood on that front. Thanks again for all the help.

Mags
11-18-2008, 16:58
awesome, thanks for the info. This has really helped me out. Last question: How many pairs of pants did you take on your thru hike?

I do use rain pants, but don't bring regular pants. I hike in shorts. When it is cool out, I hike with my shorts over long underwear. I find it is versatile and allows more flexibility with my legs. I only take one pair of shorts (the ones I am wearing!)

When it is cold, heavy rain (or snow), I then hike with my rain pants. But that is very rare for me.

bigcranky
11-18-2008, 19:04
Agree with mags. I hike in either shorts, shorts-over-long-johns, or rain pants, depending on the weather. Rain pants over long johns are great around camp in cold weather, and it's a surprisingly good combo for hiking in severe cold and wind, too.

I go with a 4-layer system:

1. Light base layer, either wool or synthetic. Should be very light -- you want it to move moisture away from your body.
2. Wind layer. A 3-ounce wind shirt is a versatile addition, providing good warmth and protection in cool to very cold weather. In cold, windy conditions, it's much better than wearing your rain shell.
3. Insulation. Worn when stopping on the trail, and in camp. Can be fleece or puffy insulation like down or Polarguard.
4. Shell layer. A "hard" shell -- waterproof, windproof. Breathable costs extra, but can be useful. Worn in bad weather, or as an additional layer around camp in cold weather.

On the legs, unless it's quite cold I don't take an insulating layer. Base layer, shorts, rain pants, worn in whatever combination suits the conditions. Gaiters in yucky weather, wool socks, trail runners.

Head and hands: a very light fleece hat and gloves for hiking, Windbloc fleece gloves and a warmer hat for camp/breaks/sleeping, if necessary.

Using the 4-layer system (or any layering system), you choose the specific article of clothing to suit the expected conditions. For example, Layer 3: Insulation. For a summer trip, I might bring a microfleece zip-tee or a 4-ounce down vest, but for winter I'll bring my big down jacket. In between, I'd choose a mid-weight warm layer like a Micropuff Pullover. I just started using a Patagonia down hoodie that I got on half-price sale last spring, and it's a pretty cool layering piece. Big hood, big warm pass-thru pocket on the front, warm and easy to use.

It's certainly okay to bring more than one insulation layer, again depending on the conditions. My lovely wife brings a fleece zip tee along with her down jacket, because she's almost always cold.